eleanor_paints

Ideas needed - DIY garden design

eleanor_paints
last year
last modified: last year

I'm currently trying to draw out some ideas to upgrade our garden, and would really appreciate some help with the layout. I've attached a plan of the current garden - the lawn (including raised bed) is about 6m wide.

Our garden's south facing and backs onto farmland, so it's sunny and not sheltered from the wind. We have two maple trees at the back (about 5m tall) which create some shade over the lawn in summer. Our plan is to knock down the conservatory and have a main seating area there with some sort of shelter (possibly a pergola + sail blind, or similar). Then I was thinking we could have a smaller patio outside the shed, which would be in the shade in summer until late afternoon.

The main things I'm stuck on at the moment is where to put flower/veg beds, where to put a 'pond in a pot' and how to block some of the wind from the main patio without completely blocking the view. Happy to take out the raised bed as it's so narrow, and happy to bring the planting closer to the house once the conservatory's gone.

This will be mostly a DIY project, but I'd love to be able to create something special, so any ideas would be very welcome.

Edit: Here are some photos of the garden!

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.