webuser_520234172

Building Regs Advice UK Kitchen/Garage

Phil Turner
last year

Hi,

Looking for a little advice please. I want to extend my kitchen out into the garage on two sides, this would involve knocking down two non structural walls which are part of an existing kitchen extension (crossed out in red) and building them back up (green). I can actually see a gap between the top of the wall and the ceiling they attached to the existing garage joists so I'm confident these walls are holding nothing up. When building these back up what sort of structure will they need to be to meet fire & building regs in the UK as one side will be liveable space and other side a garage. I will also need to raise the floor in the new areas so can I build up a couple of rows of bricks before installing DPM and pouring a new concrete floor then build walls on top?

Can I get away with an insulated stud wall with some fire resistant plasterboard or do they need to be properly brick built?

The right hand side wall is a single skin brick wall attached to the neighbour's garage. Can this just be damp proofed, insulated and plaster boarded?

Bit that juts out onto patio will just become a single skin brick 'shed'.

Cheers

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.