nathalie_sabine

1960s UK house - lounge decor ideas needed!

Nathalie S
last year

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you clever people can help! I'm about to move to a 1960s house in the UK and need some ideas of what to do with this lounge/diner which is something of a timewarp.
I'm definitely going to knock out the dated stone fireplace which stretches the right hand (party) wall and rounds the corner to the sliding doors, as you can just see in the photo. When I've looked around next door's house (we are semi-detached with that being the party wall), they have a fireplace against that wall too but as it is the narrowest wall. I have considered moving it as I'm unlikely to be able to use the chimney for a real/open fire due to asbestos, so the actual fire will probably be electric. I'm after some inspiration for placement of a new fireplace, maybe creating a faux chimney breast, and where it should go.
I prefer traditional styles especially with shelves/cupboards either side like some of the pictures I've attached here) to ultra modern/media walls but I will need some storage too and somewhere to put the TV. But obviously it's a 1960s house and I don't want it to look totally incongruent.
And finally if you made it this far, I will have an amazing view out of the windows there, so want to sit on my sofa and be able to look out of the patio doors at night!
It's south facing. So I'm also looking for ideas of how to arrange the furniture as I have 2 sofas and a small round dining table to go in here too.
I'm not sure whether to start! All ideas welcome. 😊

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.