lujaq38

Is this small mid-terrace extension even possible?

last year

We are FTB and (like everyone else) are really keen to not rent anymore. We are considering putting in an offer on this small Victorian mid-terrace. The asking price is really good but the current layout is not ideal as we are a family of 5 so we would like to make some structural changes. Here are some ideas we have:

1. Create an entrance hallway - this would take space away from an already small living room.
  2. Move the staircase 90 degrees so it is not in the middle of the reception room (and faces the back of the house?)
  3. Move the staircase completely so it faces the front door
  4. Create a hallway upstairs, taking some space from bedroom 2 and then running along bedroom 3 (so needing a 2-storey side return extension, which would enlarge the back of the house).
  5. Extend above the kitchen and downstairs bathroom to create an upstairs bathroom where bedroom 3 is currently and then a newly built 4th bedroom
  6. Alternatively extend into the loft space for the 4th bedroom (but we would also like at a least a WC upstairs).
  7. We would then want to reconfigure the kitchen and downstairs bathroom and maybe extend further out downstairs into the narrow but long garden (maybe with a small conservatory).

We don't know if any of those ideas would work or even be affordable. I think one of the neighbours in a similar terraced has gone up into the loft but that has created a third bedroom not a fourth.

Also, could we approach an architect as prospective buyers for a very basic quote to give us an idea of how much we would need to budget?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.