webuser_556333049

Cellar is flooded - your advice would be much appreciated!

HU-556333049
2 months ago

The cellar trapdoor in my late father's property has been jammed in place (due to the wood being swollen through dampness) for several months. Someone was eventually able to gain access a few days ago. The shock discovery is that the entire cellar floor is flooded with clear water to a depth of 4.5" / 12 centimetres at the deepest point. Photos (of the flooded cellar, damp joists and buckling wooden floor in the room above) are attached.

The person in question (who has 13 years of experience as a building contractor and plumber) could not ascertain what the cause of the problem might be. Although an area of the joists holding up the dining room floor is wet and an area of the wood floor is buckling, any source of leakage has not yet been found. United Utilities say it is the private property holder's responsibility.

I'm fairly certain this has never happened before and when I was last down there in summertime the whole area was completely dry. The situation seems to require immediate attention to avoid further damage. Could the situation be connected to a higher-than-normal water table on account of all the rain? Might this be covered by the house insurance?

Any advice you may be able to offer would be much appreciated!

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.