luna1900

Layout for kitchen/dining/family area

luna1900
10 years ago
We are re-designing the back of the house and we are having trouble deciding the best layout so if you can help in any way we would really appreciate it. It is going to be open plan and it will house the kitchen, dining area and family area with sofas, tv and storage for kids toys.
The back of the house is south facing and we are looking to get two large sliding doors into the garden with wall in between (about 2 meters) to avoid having too much glass and also as a feature. Ideally we would like an island in the kitchen to help with storage and with some stools around to use as breakfast area/gathering area (we currently have a breakfast bar and no matter what we do, our friends all end up gathering around it!). We are also looking to have a wood burner for extra heat although there will be underfloor heating.
Off the kitchen there is a utility room for the washer/drier etc. The drawings I am attaching are work in progress. It shows two doors into the kitchen which will be replaced by just one (where best to place it?). It also shows the dimensions of the utility room but this can still change as currently is only about a third of the space. We could move it to another part of the room if is sense.
My issue is that although I would like the kitchen area towards the back of the room, I don't like the fact that you have to walk right through the kitchen to get into the room. Also if you look at the drawing you will see that there is a note saying "dead space" which obviously I want to avoid.
If you can come up with any ideas/advice we would really appreciate it as the more we look at it, the more confused we get.
Many thanks in advance!
Maria

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.