natalie_jacquemin

Tricky downstairs layout - How would you create a good flow?

Nat HJ
9 years ago
We've just bought a new house which has a bit of an unusual flow downstairs with a study stuck in the middle of the house.
We are wrecking our heads on a few questions and would love your thoughts...

- what do we do with this study space?
A Keep it and use as playroom (but no daylight)
B knock down and integrate into lounge (but how then to use that L-shaped space?)
C knock it down and integrate into hall (the hall is currently really dark and small, not very inviting when you come in)

- how do we best use the lounge/ dining / kitchen space given that
- the kitchen is the largest room, and we can't afford a new kitchen yet but want to upgrade it, maybe put an island in the middle and put a big picture window in so we can get more light and garden in
- the dining area is the brightest room with the best view of the garden and it feels a bit of a waste to only sit there for dinner (when it's dark!)
- the lounge is so long and narrow and has a door in an awkward space how can we use this space best, how to best position furniture (is it better with or without that study space?)

We've got a toddler and we love entertaining with and without kids and we also love relaxing in front of the telly so are keen for a really comfy big sofa.

The pics were taken before we moved in so none of the furniture need to be incorporated. It's blank canvas furniture wise and we plan to replace flooring.

I am really into room design but this stretches me quite a bit! What would you do?

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.