isidora_markovic90

What kind of milk do you like best?

Isidora Markovic
7 years ago

With so many different milk variations popping up all the time and Britain having a reputation as being a nation of tea-drinkers, I got curious as to what kind you find makes your morning brew best. Your favourite could be purely taste-based, it may be because of the health benefits, a favourite due to dietary requirements or a choice made on ethical considerations.

Kitchens · More Info

So - which will it be? Will you go dairy-free with soy or traditional with the cow-originating kind? Vote and tell us why your favourite is your favourite!

Whole Milk
Semi Skimmed
Skimmed
Almond
Coconut
Soy
Rice
None - I like my coffee/tea black
Other - comment below!

Comments (17)

• ittiolly
    7 years ago

Goats milk is the way to go. It's much more easily digested by the body and good if you're cows milk intolerant.

• Related Discussions

POLL: What kind of wardrobe do you have in your bedroom?

Q

Comments (7)
    Mine is bi-fold doors, and long against one wall, but it is deeper than usual so you actually walk into it. We are going to see if it can be reconfigured to be more effecient.
    ...See More

What do you like about January?

Q

Comments (9)
    i like the fact that it's still socially acceptable to make comforting stews and soups, load up on blankets, and stay at home reading books and going through multiple cups of tea. Once the temperatures start to climb, you're bound to start feeling a bit guilty if you stay inside all the time.
    ...See More

What kind of detergent do you use?

Q

Comments (6)
    I buy Bold 2in1 Crystal Rain & White Lily in the huge commercial bottles. But as a lover of fragrance sometimes I don't want to my clothes to smell at all and mix with a particular scent I'm wearing so I make laundry detergent with grated Castile soap, bicarbonate of soda, soda crystals and borax. Another thing I do is add soda crystals to every wash and 5 litres of water to machine as I'm weary that the modern reductions in water used in the name of efficiency leave us with laundry that could be washed better.
    ...See More

During a heatwave what are you most likely to do?

Q

Comments (14)
    It's one of the times I really appreciate going into work because we have air conditioning. I hate excessive heat and feel really sorry for people who work in shops n offices without it. Night times it's a case of windows open, big fan on and just laying on the bed to watch TV. Less Movement = Less Hotness. Sleeping's been OK because I never wear nightclothes and just drape a sheet over myself.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Vivienne Lawson
    7 years ago

When we were kids, we had two aunts who still had the milk man come on a horse and cart. They used to get the milk straight from the churn in to a big white and blue enamel jug. I can still taste it. Happy days!

• angelboyman
    7 years ago

What 'other' milk are people drinking? Asp milk? Dog milk? What?!?! My wife bought some almond milk - it tasted like that medicine you buy for diarrhoea.

• windwizard
    7 years ago

I have used 'Rice Dream original' for years and years, because cows milk made me feel sick. I enjoy the taste of Rice Dream as a drink or in tea or coffee (but strangely not the Organic version) and 1 litre currently costs 69p in Asda. Rice Dream is fortified with Calcium, B12 and so called vitamin D which I assume is vitamin D2. Vitamin D2 is as good as useless and I wish they would use Vitamin D3 (which is more available to your body) instead. I am aware that the rice is not grown in the UK and one litre lasts me a few days.

Just like giving up sugar in tea, or reducing an addiction to salt - you need to give your body time to adjust to a new taste. You then find tea with sugar tastes as bad and as poisonous as a cola drink! I have not bought sugar for years (yes, I'm not a fan of Bakeoff - the overuse of refined sugar and flour or the excessive use of energy to cook and feed myself)! Maybe people have lost the ability to exercise self-control in the 'I must have that now' age? What ever happened to children drinking water rather than expensive harmful products?

I am a human being and not a cow, so why would I want to drink cow's milk? Baby humans were evolved to drink their mothers milk - not cow's milk and anyone can see that humans have a totally different physiology. I don't like the way animals are exploited as milk/baby machines or how they fed, housed and kept alive by injections. Don't be taken in by all the claims about milk being loaded with calcium... is this calcium available to your body and do you need it from this source?

It's a bit like the claims for spinach. There is so much oxalic acid in Spinach that it can 'lock up' the calcium in your body, rather than giving you more. Never eat Rhubarb leaves...the oxalic acid level can kill you!

My ethos is to try to live simply and efficiently on our lovely planet; so I am a vegetarian and spend very little on food, clothes, energy etc and have good health as well as not being fat. Sustainability is all about living efficiently and reducing your needs down to the really important, valuable ones, like loving people and caring for the natural world.

PS; just like Vivienne, the local farmer came round with a horse drawn cart with a jug hanging down at the back. He would fill our jug, which we kept on the tiled pantry floor. There were lots of National Dried Milk tins in our cupboards as it was just after the war. The baker brought a basket of warm, freshly baked bread to our door each day so mum could choose what she wanted, but sadly the only choice was white refined... At school each morning we drank a half pint of weird tasting full fat milk which had been warmed on a circular stove. Farming and life in general was very different 70 years ago...

• Sonia
    7 years ago

I only like skimmed. I find full fat milk unpleasant, too creamy. Weird as I do like cream!

• Brinda MacLennan
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Let's not forget about the " good old days" when people died from drinking unpasteurised milk! Goat's milk is almost the same as cow's milk so you cannot give goat's milk to a child with cow's milk protein allergy.

• clac0302
    7 years ago

I switched to soy milk (Alpro's light version is as good as whole milk for a fraction of the calories!) after seeing a documentary on the realities of the milk industry and treatment of cows. Let's just say that I was in tears at the end of it, I'd dare anyone to watch that and not feel shocked. I know not if the milk available in this country follows any of the practices highlighted in the documentary but I don't want to be part of it, I even massively reduced purchasing cheese made from cow's milk.

Goats' milk is not the same as cow's milk, I found out when my dog had puppies a few months ago. Dogs are lactose intolerant and cannot eat any dairy products from cows' milk, but fare well on goat's milk because of its different composition and can be safely be given to young puppies when they start getting less milk from their mother.

• maria_cardona61
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I drank cow's milk for years then I started reacting to it, hives and stomach upsets. It took me a while to realise dairy was the culprit. I have tried many non-dairy milks and the one I like the best is coconut. Many people still think it's a fad. There is a lot of ignorance about the adverse impact it has on some people.

• alisonbarlow
    7 years ago

After all this information about houzzers' various likes and dislikes, can I do a bit of summing up?

1. Different people like different foods and drinks and are fully entitled to make their choices.

2. Human beings have evolved as omnivores to eat both animal and vegetable foods. Everyone needs a balanced diet and this can include both kinds of food or, generally with a bit of planning, vegetable only. Too much of any one food is not advisable even if it is something "good for you" like spinach. [The person who noted that spinach contains oxalic acid, which is an alkaloid, is quite correct but you would need to be eating Popeye quantities of it for it to do you harm. All green vegetables contain various alkaloids and lettuce contains an opiate - remember Beatrix Potter's Flopsy Bunnies falling asleep after eating a surfeit of Mr McGregor's lettuces.].

3. Some people are allergic to or intolerant of certain foods, lactose (which generally means cows milk lactose but all animal milk , goat and sheep as well as cow, has lactose), gluten and peanuts are the best known. You can become intolerant of things you like [I have a friend who is lactose and gluten intolerant and dreams of cream cake!].

4. Whole milk has on average 225 calories per pint, semi-skimmed about half that. A sedentary adult woman has a daily calorie requirement of 1800 to 2000 calories depending on height. If you drink half a pint of milk a day in tea, coffee on cereal etc. you are not saving many calories by using semi-skimmed, especially if you find yourself putting more of it into the coffee. Sugar about 20 calories per teaspoonful (5 grams).

5. There are no brownie points in heaven for consuming processed milk substitutes or similar stuff but their manufacturers might give you points to collect to buy more of it. Remember that their main interest is selling you goods with the greatest value added factor. [You can make your own soy milk from the beans if that is what you like. Internet search will produce several recipes.]

6. If you are interested in what I eat and do not eat: I am mostly vegetarian by taste rather than conviction and I almost always prepare food from fresh raw ingredients. The less it has been processed before it gets to me the better. There are things I do not buy because I do not especially like them and there are plenty of alternatives around which I do like. I have a very short list of foods I will refuse if presented with them by a host. Principal among these are factory reared chicken (because of the cruelty of its production and the antibiotics used) and sweet potatoes (because they invariably make me vomit within 5 minutes of swallowing them). I am a fanatic on not wasting food or putting anything biodegradable into refuse that will go into landfill.

• User
    7 years ago
    Whole milk for me as I like the richer taste, especially on cereal, and I've never been convinced switching to semi for health reasons would be that beneficial as the amount of calories saved would be pretty insubstantial.
  • Sofia
    7 years ago
    Almond milk :-) I'm not a cow or a goat so my body doesn't need cow/goat breast milk.
  • sally123lilac
    7 years ago

Switching to Koko coconut milk cured me of eczema and post nasal drip.

• caronel
    7 years ago
    We have had to use oat milk for years now my son has cows milk protein allergy and went on to develop severe soya allergy so oat milk is the next most nutritious fortified milk to give him. It's very healthy and quite palatable but boy it's £££!
    People should not mock. For some it's a lifestyle choice and that's their prerogative but for others it's far from a choice and actually a very challenging inconvenience to have to use an alternative from cows milk.
  • PRO
    Cowen Garden Design
    7 years ago

Give me Oatly all the way! I discovered only recently that I'm slightly allergic to cows milk and not having to turn over in bed every couple of hours because of sinus pain is a real boon! I also remember riding the milkman's horse and cart round the block, terrific fun, and watching the neighbours shovel up the horse manure for the garden! All perfectly hygienic of course! Great information from all you foodies by the way, thank you!

• Jan Johnson
    7 years ago

we can buy lactose free milk here now so I use that for everything. twice the price mind you but worth it.

• Jane
    3 years ago

Oat milk. By far the best cows milk replacement.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.