sam_potter37

venting cooker extractor through chimney breast

Sam Potter
6 years ago
Hi all, my builders start knocking out a hole in my chimney breast for a range cooker next week. I've been told to buy the ducting for the extractor fan. I'd forgotten all about the fan. I've ordered an integrated one this morning but it doesn't come with ducting. I'll need to vent it sideways, through the chimney breast, then across the alcove to the exterior wall of the house. My question is should I do this at the top of the wall, just underneath the 12 foot ceiling, or lower, around halfway down? I've no idea what (if anything) will be in the alcove yet, other than a base unit and worktop. I thought I could get a metal duct and it would look cool under the ceiling, but not sure if the extractor can cope with sucking air up around six feet vertically, then doing a right angle through the chimney breast and doing another 4-5feet horizontally before it gets to the exterior wall. Anyone got expertise in this area?
The room puc below shows the alcove stopping below ceiling level. There's a old water tank in the top half of the alcove which will be removed.

Comments (29)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.