emmelinewe

POLL: What's your favourite home scent?

Emmeline Westin
9 years ago
Someone is making toast in the office and the smell is divine! It made me think of home scents and how some scents have the best connotations.

Which one's your favourite? If I have missed out on something, please let me know in the comments section!

Village Apartment NYC · More Info
Freshly cut grass
Freshly baked bread
Incense
Fresh cut flowers
Scented candles
Freshly brewed coffee

Comments (74)

• PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Clean linens (line-dried sheets), fresh mountain air, ocean breezes, and pine trees at Christmas. These are a few of my favorite things (scents!)

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • Karin Madgwick
    9 years ago
    The scent from freshly cut coriander.
  • kasamom
    9 years ago
    Freshly chopped cilantro. Nothing makes me breathe deeper, or harder than fresh cut cilantro, mmmmmmm
  • suzannebeach
    9 years ago
    Lysol - after someone else has cleaned the house!
  • freetess
    9 years ago
    Lemon Grass
  • ikkirimi
    9 years ago
    Freshly baked bread. I can eat bread day and night.....yummm!!
  • cathj
    9 years ago
    Sunday morning and the smell of waffles wafting through the house!
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Oh, yes, cathj,and bacon, and syrup, and orange....and dinner in the oven....Sunday smells are a whole category of wonderful!
  • pavinia
    9 years ago
    Adding to your Sunday scents, nothing gets me out of bed quicker on the weekend than the smell of bacon!
  • juliamac19
    9 years ago
    How about coming home on a cold winter's evening to the smell of Mum's leg of lamb roasting in the oven? In Australia, also, an archetypical scent we love is freshly cut eucalyptus branches. How about Daphne, such a clean sweet scent in the cold days of winter.
  • juliamac19
    9 years ago
    Some more - a freshly washed baby; new puppies; horses. I did read somewhere when you are showing your house pre-sale, sprinkle Johnson's Baby Powder on your carpet before vacuuming. It's supposed to transport us back to the security of childhood and send a good 'vibe' though your home!
  • dooenmabest
    9 years ago
    We have Thai coriander in our vegie patch and the seeds blow around the yard. So when our grass is cut, some parts of it smell like coriander, which we love.
  • Liz
    9 years ago
    Bath & Body Works fragrance wall plugs are my go to when it comes to making the house smell great.
  • dsheerr
    9 years ago
    Bacon in the morning…. and Roast Turkey/Beef with Onion and Garlic for nights!! …and then there is the smell of something yummy on the Grill…. Whenever I smelled this wafting in from a neighbor's yard, I'd want that for dinner… Obviously I'm into food!! Which is quite true!
  • newhousealameda
    9 years ago
    I am very reactive to artificial scents and wish they would be prohibited like cigarettes have become. Sometimes I need to leave a store or move away from people with strong perfumes. Even natural scents can overwhelm me. I smell everything. Natural light citrus and lavender are the best. Good food, wow, love it!
  • jboncaro
    9 years ago
    First, coffee. But second has to be freshly baked cinnamon rolls. Yummmm
  • savoida
    9 years ago
    I love the scent of vanilla and/or cinnamon.
  • Linda Verrill
    9 years ago
    Freshly cooked french fries
  • misslovely
    9 years ago
    I love the smell of onions frying.
  • Natalia Vovk
    9 years ago
    Freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked cookies
  • Nick
    9 years ago
    Candleberry Hot Maple Toddy candle!
  • PRO
    Urbanata/Steve
    9 years ago
    None, other than clean.
  • dooenmabest
    9 years ago
    I love it when my husband or I cook a roast or a pizza in the bbq.
  • Sheila Sparr
    9 years ago
    Eucalyptus by "Thymes LTD" the best scent ever
  • Lynda
    9 years ago
    Absolutely no "fake" scents (air fresheners, scented candles, etc) as I have severe fragrance allergies. But I love real scents - bouquets of flowers on the table, bread or cookies baking, etc.

I picked coffee (since no baking option listed), but in our house there isn't much of a coffee scent since we use a Keurig pod coffee machine (when it is working - ours broke a week ago so we are back to the French press).
  • Lynda
    9 years ago
    Oh - if I do have to use something with "fake" scents (like shampoo or hand soap), I always choose a food-related scent (like vanilla or citrus) as those usually don't bother my allergies. It seems to be the fake florals that get me - I can't even walk through the perfume section of a dept store. At 50 yrs old, I have only found 3 perfumes that I can wear - and those are $$$ (and likely use real flower oils rather than synthetic).
  • armipeg
    9 years ago
    I voted for coffee. I just can't explain how it gives me a boost and refreshes my mind and soul.
    Also in addition I love the smell of wet soil after a rainfall. On rainy days I just love to open the window or stand outside and smell the freshness of nature. Also takes me back to my childhood.
  • Natasa Poitevin
    9 years ago
    Orange
  • Roxane Cohanim
    9 years ago
    Have you tried porcelain diffusers? They are amazing! They last so long and diffuse the fragrance around the room better than reeds (they look prettier too)! Also, you don’t have to flip the reeds and make a mess in the process. These are my personal favorites:

http://www.carlyleavenue.com/collections/diffusers/products/grand-casablanca-porcelain-diffuser
  • grobby
    9 years ago
    Coffee, rich Columbia. Sometimes, when I'm turning in for the night, I'm thinking about getting coffee, first thing in the morning.
  • Jean
    9 years ago
    I voted coffee based on the choices, but my most favorite home scent is the clean smell of freshly washed laundry. Next would be the smell when the doors are open and I re-enter the house. Just fresh clean air. In our humid climate we are not able to have windows and doors open very often :(
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 years ago
    I can remember freshly brewed coffee early in the morning, especially if it was chilly outside!
  • harryinahurry
    9 years ago
    clean sheets dried on the clothesline in the sun
    frangipani flowers on the tree outside the window
    kaffir lime leaves picked from the tree
    fresh coriander
    roast lamb
    cut grass
    rain after hot days
  • harryinahurry
    9 years ago
    and black roses that smell so divine you could eat them
  • Average Jo
    9 years ago
    The first sniff of newly mown grass in spring and I get that carefree feeling of being on the cusp or threshold of something wonderful. It heralds long evenings, walks in the park, roses in bloom, holidays, warmth and sunshine... suddenly anything seems possible again.
  • PRO
    IQ Allied American Industries ltd
    9 years ago
    Freshly brewed coffee.
  • PRO
    Alternative Flooring
    9 years ago
    Freshly baked bread, yum!!
  • PRO
    UBER Interiors
    9 years ago
    Whilst bread and coffee are terrific for a mood uplift, you need a candle that is not too sweet or heavy like the ones made by Baobab Collection to offer a long time linger (without even lighting it!).
  • PRO
    Homejoy
    9 years ago
    Our Cleaning Professionals use Method when cleaning a home - there's nothing else that leaves a home feeling and smelling so fresh. Their products are eco-friendly and effective too!
  • Tom Flanagan
    9 years ago
    Coffee or baked bread are winners any day of the week, but good old fashioned baking, the smell of a cake cooking away is just otherworldly!
  • PRO
    Aleksandra Winnik Photography
    9 years ago
    Bread, bread...! I can't think of anything more homely...! I still hand-keand my sourdough bread and when I bake it I feel there is nothing more delightful in life than my kitchen with my bread and the vision of my family eating it over next few days.
  • smuze
    8 years ago

Cinnamon, fresh lavender or just baked bread, but it depends on the time of year.

• atalantah
    8 years ago

Lavender or vanilla smell wonderful!

• ruby who
    8 years ago
    Garlic, lemon and coriander cooking together, love food smells like that .
  • stabmonkey
    8 years ago

Bleach

• Bonnie 99
    7 years ago

again I am a vanilla or cinnamon favourite! ;) mmmh! yum yum!

• honeyfieldsgraincompany
    7 years ago

My favorite home scent is CLEAN.

• monochromegeometry
    7 years ago

Apple and cinnamon

• Stephen Edwards
    7 years ago

beeswax floor polish, unfortunately I'm approaching the time of year where the main smell will usually be wet dog

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.