emmelinewe

Bathroom sink styles - what have you opted for?

Emmeline Westin
9 years ago
I have the most annoying sink, t's square and very impractical. Next time, I'm going for a round washbowl!

What type of sink do you have in your master bathroom? Are you happy with your choice?

Powder Room · More Info

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I have a retangular one in 1 bathroom which I must admit we use more often than our master and a round one in the master. I honestly do not have a preference but I do like my vanity to be taller than the usual 30". I love vessel sinks snd for the amount of time it is actually used why not go for the look.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    I don't like that either. Give me a 'regular' sink that is built into the countertop any day over that.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I prefer a regular built in sink, but would love a taller cabinet. I am short, but still must bend to use sink and my back does not like that posture. am considering a higher arching faucet.
  • Sarah
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I have an integrated rectangular sink in the master. I find that stuff doesn't wash itself down along the corners without help. I've also decided that I don't particularly like the integrated sink where I get dressed because my brush, etc. like to roll in while I'm primping...which I just find icky!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I find this is an unfair discussion. There are some square sinks that are badly designed and don't allow for the water to flow properly to the sink. There are other square sinks that have a perfect pitch and the water drains perfectly. I like square sinks for some designs.I also have used vessel sinks, but advise them for holiday homes or guest bathrooms rather than for regular use. They are beautiful and can be visually stunning. If the tap/faucet is not properly placed, you risk splashback if you run the water too hard, or if you are washing your face and don't stoop too low.I think each type of sink needs to be considered for its pros and cons and then the style you are looking for in that bathroom.
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    I have an oval undermount sink in the master. It maximizes surface area, is easy to clean, and it looks good too. I was planning to have an undermount square sink in the new house I'm building, but I'll have to think about that if it's going to be harder to clean. With regard to vessel sinks, I have a carved-out granite boulder one in the powder room that people love. It's really cool looking. But NO vessel sink in a real bathroom. Function must trump fashion there.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Interesting about square and integrated sinks. I'm getting ready to do a remodel of the master and both were primary options. Now I'm rethinking. It's much harder to come up with good ideas for this project than it was for the kitchen.
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    Mine is lovely shell shape integrated into a cultured marble vanity top but it was chocolate brown. Several cans of appliance paint and it is a faux limestone look which needs re touching after several years.
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    I love the one in our main bathroom! Never thought I'd like a glass sink, with all the water stains and so on, but this one has a colour that somehow disguises the stains, you can only see them in a certain light.

However, the square sink in the downstairs loo is terrible. It is a poor design, the pop-up plug is not flush on the bottom of the sink, so the water doesn't completely evacuate and sits around the rim, staining it. And as it's used mainly by guests, I can't make them wipe it dry every time they use it!
  • oklouise
    9 years ago
    only ever have sinks sunk below the counter so there's no chance of bumping the side of the bowl and more space on the counter - recently bought a tiny stainless steel bowl to install in a narrow cabinet for a small ensuite : perfect!
  • Kaaren Baumgartner
    9 years ago
    Remodeling the second bathroom now. The public bath has a rectangular sink, undermounted, w/ its bowl swooping end to end like a skateboard ramp. No issues, drains fine, and easy to clean. Putting round undermounts in the other bath only because we used more angular shapes in the public one, and, just for a change, are using more round things in the second one. For cleaning and space on the counter, love the undermount sinks. Vessel sinks are pretty, but just not willing to do the constant wiping up of the splashes and that tight circle underneath. Both vanities are raised, also tired of bending way over to rinse face.
  • tessaway
    9 years ago
    Have square bathroom sinks and do not like them at all. Difficult to keep clean and to actually clean. Give me round every time.
  • bsmckey
    9 years ago
    We just completed a bath remodel of the hall bathroom and added a vessel sink. We like it more than we thought we would. Our cabinets are too short and the sink add the height we need. There is no splashing water like some have experienced with vessels, but that also has to do with the fixture we choose.
  • jillybeansisme
    9 years ago
    I do not like vessel sinks, although I saw a pedestal rock sink that was pretty cool. I love my porcelain drop in sink. It is basically oval but sculptured (American Standard Decorativa) in my Master Bath. Oval drop in for the second and third baths. The big thing for me is spout reach. I don't want some tiny 4" spout reach so that I can't get my hands under it without splashing.
  • foreverfarm11
    9 years ago
    i have a standard sink - but I wanted the vessel sink - until I figured out that it was probably a pain to clean. I will stick to the standard sink
  • Lorraine Skoglund
    9 years ago
    Don't like vessel sinks. They splash everywhere in my experience. I would like a large rectangular sink that has room for two faucets so me and my significant can brush our teeth at the same time.
  • krf9
    9 years ago
    I have a topmount porcelain sink. Pretty boring.
  • judyrud
    9 years ago
    I too have an oval ceramic American Standard built-in. What I like is that it's large enough. Even so, splashes happen and with mineral-rich well water, they need to be dried off the counter. Those vessels are tempting, but you need to take into consideration all the splashing.
  • Felecia
    9 years ago
    We recently remodeled our powder room and decided to go with a vessel sink. We love the look as it instantly added an updated look to a small space. (In our opinion of course!)
  • cashncary702
    9 years ago
    I also did a remodel in a powder room and did a large sink- we love it and it always gets lots of compliments!
  • calidesign
    9 years ago
    We like our square cutout with sloped interior - easy to clean and looks modern.
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    calidesign, who makes that sink?
  • cabingirl13
    9 years ago
    standard oval sink- no complaints here.
  • Valerie Hoffmann
    9 years ago
    @ASVInteriors Could you advise on how to choose a vessel or square sink? I love the look, but I've seen a lot of splashing and drainage problems and want to avoid that before we put one in! Thanks
  • jalarse
    9 years ago
    I love our two pedestal sinks. It's a coastal home and I wanted the bathroom off the master bedroom to reflect a 1930's 1940's bathroom. Hubby built the table between the sinks so we have room to place things.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    Hi ValerieFor all sinks I am procuring for a client, I find the actual model in a show room so I can see the actual interior curves myself. Some sinks are very flat at the bottom (even Vessel sinks) so these need to be examined very carefully for pitch so that the water will drain properly. (I even pour a few drops of water into the sink surreptitiously to see how it drains!)I also look carefully at the marriage of faucet and sink and the point of where the water will come out and hit the bowl - too far back or too far forward will affect the splash area. I read the technical specs that come with sinks and taps ....
  • Nan Schnabel
    9 years ago
    I used to love squared or rectangular sinks but after experiencing them in several hotels that's now off my list. While they look nice I don't like the way they drain. Pitch would make a difference but they're off my list now.

I have the vessel sink in one bath and love the look but have to admit it's a bath that's rarely used so the look's the thing. I have Corian countertops with integrated sinks in my other two bathrooms and have loved them. They clean beautifully and look as new as when I installed them. That being said, I'm getting ready for remodels for both rooms and won't start until I find just the right elements. In the meantime I'm enjoying the search.
  • Lynda
    9 years ago
    We put in an integrated trough sink in our master bath remodel last year. The sink is an elongated oval with two faucets - convenience of double sinks, but doesn't need as wide of a vanity.

I don't have a photo of it in our bathroom, but here is a photo of it at Ikea when we first chose it.
  • ljfq
    9 years ago
    Too bad retailers don't tell us the "self-cleaning" ability of a sink - whether it will rinse itself clean as the water runs or whether you need to use your hands to clean out the schmutz when you are done. Once you install, it is too late. Beware of funky shapes.
  • Maria Smith
    9 years ago
    Mind is rectangle Kohler memoirs undermount w/ beveled edge inside. Its design is quite versatile, for me it goes w/ the vintage look of my yellow/black/white bath, but it could go modern as well.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    Our sinks were built in, but their cabinets were low and bending hurt my back. I determined the cabinets could be raised by adding a horizontal board just above the place at bottom that is indented for your toes. It added about five inches, bringing the counters up to the height of our kitchen counters. The board was stained to match the cabinet and is right under where the cabinet doors open. The line of the board is hidden by a length of wood trim. This raising up did require adding pipe to the water lines under the sinks to fill the pipe gap; moving the very large mirrors (no breaks or chips!) upward and moving the lighting above the mirrors up, as well. Took one day of work by carpenter and helper. Well worth the cost.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    Here's a photo of one of the two sinks that were raised up:
  • kathycono
    9 years ago
    In our NH lake home we chose a copper vessel sink for the guest bath and recessed by one-half the depth. Voila! No problem cleaning, no splashes and many, many compliments!
  • pavinia
    9 years ago
    I have a large rectangular wall mounted sink which I love butttt I do have a real soft spot for a free standing basin like this
    Clapham Family Home · More Info
  • Najeebah
    9 years ago
    My dream sink:
  • PRO
    Daman of Witham
    9 years ago
    Something to watch out for is the depth of the basin, do you need to keep water in the bowl to wash etc? or are you happy for it to just free-flow away? Many manufacturers are opting for shallow free flow basins. Some of the very best designs are by Kohler or Villeroy & Boch.

Bo0th are available from our Witham Showroom.

www.damans.co.uk
  • PRO
    Dreambath Sanitaryware Company Limited
    6 years ago

I recommend you many bathroom sinks including oval,square,rectangular & round shape of them,you could search them from DreamBath.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.