smarties100

Bedroom Layout help

smarties100
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I'm trying to decide on the best way to build the wardrobes in my 1920's semi-detached house.

I don't know whether to replace the existing alcove wardrobes with more tasteful ones in same location (shaded yellow on plan) or whether to build a larger 'walk-in style wardrobe' at one end (shaded blue on plan). I can't visualise how this would look and whether I have space to do it. I have attached a sketched layout of the room.

We have a king-sized bed which is staying, (this has a gun-metal grey iron frame) all other furniture can be replaced. Any ideas / thoughts would be gratefully received. Many Thanks

Comments (30)

• Monica
    9 years ago
    Hello smarties :), what a gorgeous room for a bedroom. Out of these two options I would prefer setting them into the alcoves, the walk in option will create a visual block as you enter the room and make it feel smaller. However could the bed go against the chimney breast? I love seeing the bed first as I walk into a room. You can use the alcoves to fit some roomy sideboards and build a wardrobe on the wall behind the door? I would love to see some pictures of the space as you build it :)
    smarties100 thanked Monica
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    The short answer is that I think you should just rebuild the alcove wardrobes and make them do exactly what you need (you can have two rails of clothing, shelves, drawers underneath, cupboards on top for things you don't use so much, etc. etc).

The long answer includes questions! For a "walk-in style wardrobe" I assume you mean you want to build a wall and then walk down a corridor with clothes on one side and not just a bank of doors opening out into the room? You will need the whole 1.3 metres from the wall to the chimney breast for this, which will still be tight and look funny and ruin the symmetry of the room. You could put a bank of closets on the wall opposite the chimney breast and run it up to behind the door. You need a minimum of 55 cms inside for coathangers with something on them, so you could do this there, but again I think it'll throw off the symmetry of the room, making the window look weird.

I don't know where you are going to put your king sized bed, but if it is an American King, rather than UK or Australia (or somewhere else?) you might want to re-swing the door so that it opens to the wall not to the room so you can get into the room properly. When I did this it took a couple of years before the doors would close properly without really pushing them because they had been hung the other way for more than 100 years, but it gave the rooms way more furniture layout options and you got to look at the window when you entered a room, not a wall!
    smarties100 thanked boundsgreener
  • Related Discussions

Bedroom layout help!!

Q

Comments (10)
    I agree with man about the house about the wardrobes. They look very heavy for the room and will give you more flexibility. You have plenty of walls to have wardrobes on. You have a long room so there are plenty of options. If you want me to sketch up your options please email me.
    ...See More

Master Bedroom Layout Help

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Joe, I've come up with an option for you, I hope it gives you some inspiration! I've proposed creating a 'dressing area' around the large window with wardrobes and a dressing table. It's good to have a dressing table by good natural light. I've put the bed where it's going to get you the most walk around space. In front of the bed to make use of the space I've included a large low level chest of drawers, you could either have some nice artwork/mirror above, or if you're a TV in the bedroom person that's an option. You could get some large bedside tables here as there is the space. In the corner I've put a bedroom chair, which is always handy for throwing clothes on to at the end of the day. I don't know if it's an option, but I've proposed rehanging the ensuite door as it feels awkward currently. I hope that helps! Best, Kate Interior designer House by Kate Ltd www.housebykate.com www.instagram.com/housebykate
    ...See More

Bedroom layout help

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks!! this is amazing, and easy to visualise. i think we will go for this just with a dresser where the desk is.
    ...See More

Add bedroom layout help

Q

Comments (1)
    Can’t see a picture? You can add in comments as long as there is some text.
    ...See More
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi monk0104 and bounds greener.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my appeal for advice. I'm doing a whole house very slowly and sometimes find I reach a "brain block" ! I thought I'd explore all options with this room instead of going with the obvious of rebuilding the cupboards in the alcoves. What is there at the moment is so bad it's difficult to see beyond it !
    Your concerns re: symmetry of the room etc, were in my thoughts too.
    I hadn't thought about putting the bed on the chimney wall - our bed is a uk kingsize (sorry we're in south west England). Building wardrobes on the opposite side of the chimney breast may work but may make the window look skewed in the room.
    When I said "walk in" I was talking either a room which you could walk down one-side /centre or having a bank of doors opening into the room - maybe with the option of making it as narrow as possible, with possibly an L-shape into the un-used remained or the alcove. (If that makes sense).
    I'm having trouble visualising all the options and how they would look in the room. For my kitchen I used the ikea modelling software which was great, but can't seem to find a simple equivalent to use for this room.
    Definitely more to think about - thanks so much.
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Hi Smarties :) doing up houses is certainly an adventure and not always a pleasure associated exercise. We are just preparing to exchange contracts on a 5 bed repossesed family house in N. Yorkshire so I will be spending oodles of time here asking the generous members for their expert advice as well so I will check in with you and your progress.
    As for your beautiful bedroom if that was my room I would put the bed against the chimney (I wasn't sure if you had a fireplace there hence why I asked if it could go on there) and maybe build a floor to ceiling 1.5m wide wardrobe on the opposite wall. Looking at your measurements I think that might work and I know Ikea Pax comes in this width if you went for that but maybe you can find a beautiful beast of a free standing wardrobe on fleabay :). You would have some room left in front of the window for a small chair to add a bit of a visual to the arrangement if you placed the wardrobe away from the window slightly. good luck :)
    smarties100 thanked Monica
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    If you put them along the wall opposite the chimney breast you could make them look like this so they disappear:
    Liz: Wardrobe · More Info
    That example is great because it is almost like panelling with lots of quite narrow doors. But if you do this in the place marked blue in your plan and turn it into one of the alcoves, too, it is going to make the other alcove look weird and everything lopsided.

Or alcove closets can be very pretty and hold loads of things if they are properly made.
    Panelled White Built-in Wardrobes · More Info

Refurbishment of 1930s semi · More Info

Short of finding the modelling software, I'd do the old fashioned thing and put your bed in there and empty boxes or spread out newspaper of where the wardrobe would be to show how much room it takes up. UK King is much smaller than an American one, so you will have more walk around room in there.

P.S. You don't want the wardrobes to look like either of these because, sorry, but they are awful and totally dominate the room and muck up the window:
    Flat renovation London · More Info

Triforium Homes - Orchard Gardens · More Info
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks again for your comments.
    I can see from the photos you've sourced how those options throw the balance of the room - which is really helpful. The minimal wardrobes without handles would work well across the opposite wall to the fireplace. I would have to work out the depth required and see how that would look.
    There isn't currently a fireplace there but I would consider reinstating one of I added alcove wardrobes.
    Definitely more to think about - thanks I will update you of my progress.
    Good luck with your project monk0104 - so far we have done kitchen,plus knocked through room, bathroom and 2 kids bedrooms. It has been fun but need to focus on ideas for our room next !
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    Smarties, I had the exact same problem as you (and our bedroom is very similar to yours, albeit slightly bigger, but it has more windows which made it harder to split). So we didn't, we sacrificed the adjoining bedroom and transformed it in a bathroom and walk-in wardrobe.

But I took a lot of time trying to see if I can use the space in the main bedroom for a walk-in. Most of my solutions were a bit unconventional (so hard to find photos for 'em!). The one I toyed the most with was a sort of a partition wall with openings at both ends, something like this but without the mad colours:
    Bolton Place, London · More Info

Also, I thought of a partition that would become the 'headboard' for the bed (preferably with a transom window above):
    The Vicarage - Georgian Grade II listed · More Info

As boundsgreener mentioned above, something slick and minimal can work as well, even on your 'blue' wall.
    GLAM Wardrobe · More Info

Sliding doors is the other solution, in glass if you think you can keep it organised (I can't!!)
    Rowhouse · More Info

Bedroom Fitted Wardrobes · More Info
    smarties100 thanked Luciana
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Luciana - really helpful ideas and images. The vicarage photos show what I had imagined by building a "walk in" but I am concerned about the symmetry of the room.
    Our adjoined neighbours have used their adjoining room for dressing and en-suite - unfortunately this is earmarked for a study. Worth considering when kids depart though !
    I'm definitely too messy for glass doors !!!
    I may get some squared paper and play around with ideas. I've seen other people using the iPad planning app - so maybe worth a try with that to visualise what the alternatives would look like.
    Thanks for your responses everyone - so helpful.
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    You're welcome! Also, have a look at http://www.floorplanner.com/ - it proved quite useful to me after I spent about an hour learning to use it.
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I find it's always a bit of a lottery as to what you get with the online software. Some is fairly intuitive and some really complex
    - which is fine if you're going to use it often, but very time consuming for a one-off project. People on this site have recommended
    iPad but will try your recommendation as it's free first. Thanks
    Again
  • Helen Charlton
    9 years ago
    Don't forget it would also be possible to do a continuous run of doors across the front of chimney breast and both alcoves. The narrower depth in front of chimney can be used as a dressing table. When the doors are closed it all looks sleek, but masses of storage behind. I'd also suggest getting one of the wardrobe fitting companies out to quote. Even if you don't use them, they are bound to give you some good ideas.
    smarties100 thanked Helen Charlton
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Helen - that is a similar to what's already there - albeit very distasteful ! Has probably put me off sticking with that. When I'm feeling brave I will add a photo of just how made they are ! I could get some wardrobe companies in - is there any national ones you would suggest / recommend ?
    Thanks for your help
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    There are many companies around; where do you live?

We used Sharps (found them in Homebase!! - http://www.sharps.co.uk/bedroom-furniture/bedroom-space/ ) for our loft walk-in, mainly because we needed someone who would customise the furniture to fit around the space.
    For the other walk-in (the one I mentioned above, made by splitting a bedroom) we went with an Italian company; they sent most of the units already assembled and their fitter only put them together (the pull-down rails are great for space saving!) - you can see how messy I am in the 4th pic.

Generally, a google search on 'fitted furniture' or 'fitted bedroom' in your area would get you quite a few results.
    loft walk-in wardrobe · More Info

loft walk-in wardrobe · More Info

walk-in wardrobe · More Info
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Luciana - these are great pictures thanks for sharing. What size is your loft walk in ? I'm still hankering after this sort of thing, but really need to visualise how it would look in the bedroom space we would have.
    Thanks for your input - much appreciated.
  • miesha_ariana
    9 years ago
    I would suggest just redoing both alcoves, however if you want more space you can transformer the right alcove to a "semi walk in closet" if you will. Expanding it out but not as long as you had the walk in closet (shaded blue) maybe just half of that. That way you'll have a his & hers closet. The spare wall space that would be built out can create a nice nook or seating area by the fireplace. My sample picture is a pretty immature but I'm sure you'll get the point :)
    smarties100 thanked miesha_ariana
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Hi - sorry I'm a bit pushed for time today - but if you look at the sketch I did for this dilemma it might work on yours too - although they didn't have the chimney ....
    https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/1093029/Please-help-me-with-my-bedroom
    I will try and have a look at yours properly a bit later !!
    smarties100 thanked OnePlan
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    For the walk-in closet in my old house and all the wardrobes and cupboards I had built at my new place, I had a carpenter do it. After getting a quote for the walk-in from Sharps, the carpenter costs were seriously a tenth of the price! Maybe Sharps have more competitive prices these days, but chippies are the best to get you exactly what you want in the finish you want.
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    Karen, as always, you are the best! I hope smarties likes it, because I do - and now wonder why didn't I meet you before starting our house renovation; I honestly would've begged (and paid for you) to come to Cardiff and help :))

Smarties, I went upstairs and measured it - the loft walk-in size is 2m x 2.60m. The one by the main bedroom is 3.70 x 1.50m.

Boundsgreener, I agree a good carpenter is gold, the trouble is finding one who doesn't shy from making stuff he's never built before. We weren't that lucky, the cabinet makers we found were obscenely expensive, that's why we ended up with Sharps.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    bookmark me for your next project !!! I'd love to come over to Cardiff !!! ;-)
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    Could be another decade till I get ants in pants and suffer through another renovation but when we do, I promise, the job is yours!!
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One plan - thank you thank you thank you... I have been at work all day earning £ to pay for this little lot and have only just seen your plans and advice. Your quick(??) sketch up shows exactly what I was thinking but couldn't visualise. It looks great.

What width would you advise is the minimum for the walk in to allow movement space ?
    It has even prompted the man of the house to get his tape measure out which is good !
    This would definitely give us the most storage space of all our options.

So now there are 3 options To weigh up.
    1. Walk in -
    Will throw current symmetry of room, but will definitely give the most hidden storage space (perfect as we also need linen and towel storage for the house within this room somewhere). Assuming cost will be studded wall, plastering plus internal fittings.

2. Alcove wardrobes -
    Will maintain symmetry of the room, will give the least storage of all options. Probably the most expensive option as will require bespoke alcoves with internal fittings. May install fireplace/ dressing table to chimney breast.

3. Wardrobe bank along wall opposite chimney.
    This would maintain symmetry of alcoves. I think storage would probably be somewhere between the other 2 options. Maybe more potential to get wardrobe company in to have a look. I like the look of the handle less ones shown above. Would leave option of bed on wall either as you come into the room or on the chimney breast.

Luciana - thanks for your measurements - really helpful. I will add them onto our plan to check how the space works. I'm in Bristol - which Italian company did you use ? Those fittings are really lovely. I'm not sure where else to source just the interior bits.

All - we have the most fabulous carpenter - retired guy who doesn't charge the earth and also just does a few jobs to keep himself out of his wife's hair ! Perfect - he's been one of the finds of our job - a real gem.
    Really appreciate all the advice - I'm going over to see how monk0104 is getting on with her kitchen plan. What fun this is !!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    I drew it all to scale as per your sizes .. The distance is shown allowing the bare minimum of 81cm between end of stud and door wall ... Could make that a bit bigger ( like at the wardrobe side a but wanted to give you room for bedside table too... Will add a plan with some size info below !

The bed on the chimney wall slightly overlaps the alcoves so might look a little odd unless you make the chimney bigger. With cupboards on the door wall opposite the bed gives another good option - but without the best use of the views out of the windows !
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oneplan - that is really helpful thankyou.
    For the 'walk in' would you propose storage along the back wall side (left hand on your plan) and into the alcove in an L- shape. Do you recommend any companies to buy internal fittings for this sort of thing or would you just go for carpenter or ikea ?
    Have you also drawn a fitted cupboard in the other alcove to even out the symmetry of the room ? That is a really smart idea.

I really appreciate your help and will definitely post pictures once we've finished. I will take a look at your pro page oneplan - where are you based ? Thanks again
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    I'm in Dorset ! but my work is all email based ! so could be anywhere !! I drew it double hanging - then imagined if you wanted full hanging ( ball gowns and long coats ) could go on the end wall or on a forward facing hook - but you could play about with it to suit the size of what you need to store ... at a push you could have hanging both sides - but it would be a bit of a squeeze - so I drew shelves on one side ( shoes, jumpers etc ) Jali in Kent could probably make the bespoke wardrobe infront of the fire place and in alcove area - you can design online using their software - and your handy man can install it ! ( it's bespoke flat pack !)
    hafele.co.uk do various interior fittings - so do screw fix !! shop around for what you need !!
    happy to have helped !
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Very clever, OnePlan. Take advantage of that retired carpenter, Smarties, and go with the internal layout OnePlan suggested, too, as hanging on both sides will make it too narrow to use comfortably - you want to be able to walk in and find things and put your clothes, not shuttle down there like a crab :)
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Tee hee - I'm sure I will fill it and still have to scuttle like a crab, regardless of shelves or no shelves !!
    Couldn't possible take advantage of my lovely carpenter but definitely sounds like the sort of thing that he would be brilliant at !
    I looked at the jali website yesterday will need to have a play with layouts on their software - it looks good -decide on internal layouts.
    I'm inspired to start my bedroom now.... Looks like the layout is sorted, just the smaller (!!!) decisions like colour, soft furnishings, carpet, lights ........
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    I will need to pass you over to the "good taste ladies and gents" for that !! I'm a planning geek, rather than colourist !!! can't wait to see the end result !!! ;-)
  • smarties100
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks one plan - I certainly wasn't expecting you to help with that too - you have been so generous with your time and ideas. Planning genius not geek !
    I usually just gather up images that I like and work from there - my kitchen worked well by doing that in terms of look anyway.
  • gelv
    9 years ago
    Walk in wardrobe
    smarties100 thanked gelv
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.