mrsjaime_jor

Should I install a carpet runner or not?

mrsjaime_jor
9 years ago
We are installing this reclaimed staircase (1886) in our new construction home. While beautiful, I am concerned about it being slick for my three children. Compared to most wooden staircases I have walked in, it definitely is more rough/has more texture. We would do a runner of matching carpet from the hallway upstairs. Suggestions?
Thanks!
Yes- carpet runner!
No- leave the beautiful wood!

Comments (80)

• Hélène
    9 years ago
    If you want to give a contempory look I would leave as it is but if you want to give a classic contemporary look I would. I would paint the hand rail in different colors such as white and charcoal gray. Only an idea.
  • miriamberg
    9 years ago
    We have wooden stairs in our home as well; I have no problem in my rubber soled slippers! Of course, running down the stairs in socks is a bit dangerous...
    Wood is much easier to clean and much cleaner aesthetically, as well.
  • Related Discussions

to runner or not to runner?

Q

Comments (25)
    You have such a lovely entrance to you home that I would choose full width in a really popping colour - be brave as it really works. Also have you thought about opening up the panels on the Sid of the stairs to give it a more open and bigger view ?
    ...See More

How much should a stair runner cost!?

Q

Comments (11)
    We're going through the same as you as we are having to replace our very expensive sisal runners with their beautiful black taping after only 5.5 years. Would strongly recommend against sisal anywhere, but particularly on the stairs. Any dirt, spilt drinks, splashes of water result in stains that even professional carpet cleaners cant get out. The pile is too short and it all gets embedded in those lovely ridges. They shrink away from the skirting board quickly because they cant be pinned down like normal carpet so it quickly looks tatty and we're only 3 people including an unusually clean and tidy child. If you do treat yourself please don't buy sisal!I
    ...See More

Stone stairs-any advice for cleaning them up or should I just carpet?

Q

Comments (4)
    You can use a jelly based paint remover which you apply and scrap off. It was traditional to paint stairs like that until the 1960's. The white gloss border was to allow you to see the stair in poor light (candles), the later brown colour was in fashion in the 1960's when you had a runner of carpet with the brown at each side of the step. On saying all that I would carpet them and save you all the work :)
    ...See More

carpet runner (advice on fitting)

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks guys, it is an old house and the little landing isn’t square I don’t think. The weave maybe makes it look worse in real life I think as it has a definite line in the weave. Paid nearly £500 for the fitting so just wanted to make sure they had just done the best job they could. When the estimator came out with his fancy measuring gadgets he didn’t say anything about the stairs being wonky and we didn’t think the stripe would be so obvious from the sample we had. It’s the type of thing you maybe only notice if it catches your eye. That particular piece of carpet has been cut slightly off on the left (looking at it straight on) which probably doesn’t help). Do you think we should just let it go?
    ...See More
  • Steve Riggs
    9 years ago
    wowowo 50/50 vote can't go wrong either way, carpet runner with kids running up and down... if it was for adults beautiful wood, but kids are going to fall and run so traction might be safer :)
  • Sauve
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think you should choose what you want. I've had both uncovered and covered stairs. Either way, they are difficult to maintain if they are solid. My smallest child slipped and fell down the last 3 stairs when she was 18 months old breaking her collar bone. The stairs were carpeted. My husband fell down about 11 stairs last year, that were not covered. Other than a few bruises he was ok. In the house of my inlaws the bare staircase is an essential part of their interior design. What my father in law did was put invisible non-slip tape on the treads and install a dumb waiter near the top of stairs that winds up delivery on all three floors; the top, the kitchen pantry, and the basement garage. I fell down 5 carpeted stairs because my x-husbands mother decided to put the towels for the upstairs baths on the 5th stair to carry up. I didn't see them because I was carrying down our 5 week old baby wrapped in a blanket for traveling in one arm and holding our 2 year-old's hand in the other. I let go of my son's hand, of course, but the baby went with me. I broke my foot and and a bone in my hand because I was trying to stop the fall. The baby wasn't hurt. I've come to the conclusion that if the stairs are off in the least measurement then falls are inevitable.
  • pursue
    9 years ago
    We have had wood stairs without a runner for almost 40 years. We have rules. Adults and kids may not use the stairs with socks on unless they have on ones with the gripper soles. It is necessary to have safe handrails and use them. Also, good lighting helps. Our old house had carpet on the stairs and one of our friends fell down the stairs with a baby and hurt the baby. Learning to be careful on all stairs is the answer.
  • littlemy
    9 years ago
    I far prefer the look of a beautiful wooden staircase WITH a gorgeous runner up the centre. It is more aesthetically pleasing, softer on the feet, cushions sound as well as your toes, and is not difficult to maintain - just vacuum with a soft brush attachment. If the runner wears over time, you replace it, whereas the stairs underneath are continuously protected from wear. A no-brainer, if you ask me!
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    9 years ago
    It looks more homey with the carpet runner. Choose one that compliments the wood.
  • Mary Kopp
    9 years ago
    Fell on steps and couldn't stop til I reached bottom.
  • katie122
    9 years ago
    We moved into our last house when our kids were 1, 3, 5, and 7 years old, and the house had one straight set of hardwood stairs. I was so paranoid about the kids falling that I asked my pediatrician for advice. She said children will not fall forward while going down stairs IF they look at their toes as they go down. However, if they can't see their feet, usually bc they are carrying something, they will fall every time. So, we got the kids in the habit of saying "look at my toes, look at my toes" with each step they took, every time they went down the stairs. In 6 years in that house, each kid fell down them once, and each time they were carrying something blocking their sight of their toes...a sleeping bag, a pillow, a truck and a big stuffed animal (in order of the falls lol). We had many little friends over to play, and never had a fall using the "look at my toes" repetition. I would skip the carpet runner and begin training. : )
  • dinohio
    9 years ago
    Train the humans to go up and down the stairs slowly and mindfully with rubber soles. Do not have both hands full ESP. with children (no brainer here) and USE the handrail(s). Train children to not RUN in the house!!! Decorum and decency will head off disasters whether carpet or no carpet. Common sense! If you are afraid of the above then get a 1-story house. Aesthetically for this stairway, it is not situated correctly with the loss of space behind first riser...it looks like there was not good planning for it only a desire for it.
  • bevimac
    9 years ago
    Last January running for the phone I fell down the stairs and broke my foot and ankle. That backed me up nine weeks. I had to use a scooter and had a cast. Taking a shower was quite a challenge. I'm fit and in shape but it was just an accident. It can happen to anyone. Put a runner on those stairs. you won't be sorry plus it adds so much design style!!!
  • Whatknot
    9 years ago
    My comment is somewhat practical. If your stairs are squeaky and you can't sneak up or down them in the middle of the night without waking someone, then maybe it's time to go runner shopping. Painted stairs would be more slippery I'm thinking. I have those metal edges on the staircase going into the basement for safety. The landing spot would be pretty hard if I fell down them. The other two stair cases in my house have a landing so the fall would not be so far. They are both carpeted.
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    9 years ago
    I'm not a designer and I haven't read all the comments above, but I would definitely put at least a runner on the stairs. We had a beautiful wood staircase...only adults in the house...and twice, someone slipped down the steps. I promised myself, never again an unprotected staircase!
  • Susan Swayngim
    9 years ago
    I voted no but on second thought, changed my mind...can I unvote my no?! I based it on the horrible steep, narrow stairs we have that are carpeted. I panic every time someone uses them because of the carpet that was poorly installed and kind of puffs out from the risers. Its gotta go! But with the right stairs and the right runners I would definitely prefer a runner on them. We don't even use the bedrooms upstairs and have a child gate at the bottom to keep our animals from going up there. Someday those rooms will be my craftroom/studio and I hope to have better, safer stairs by then. We've had only one injury due to a sliding (on purpose) grandchild that hit the baseboard heater at the bottom of the stairs.
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    I say use a stair runner with rods. Once the kiddies are grown, remove if you like!

I have no idea who this company is...I'm just adding their page for photos to reference.

http://stairrunnersusa.com/StairRunner_Gallery_Stair_Rods.php
  • Hélène
    9 years ago
    Basically it is a question of safety and looks. It is true that we must be cafeful going down a wooden stair because there is no grip while taking steps down. If we are in a hurry well accdient can happen or if we are carrying many things. Due to this reason I believe that a runner is necessary specially if you do carry a child in your arms or do have children. I would paint the steps white and put a neutral runner in the shades of gray with a pattern tone on tone.
  • mswannabdesigner
    9 years ago
    Stair runners gives a softer look, feel and sound. I think it can also give the area a pop of color. However, it is all about a person's taste.
  • PRO
    Destin4 Interiors LLC
    9 years ago
    I'd say enjoy them bare until they show a lot of wear, then go runner to cover up the scuffs. Stairs are always an area for caution...don't be distracted or in a hurry that's when accidents happen
  • grewa002
    9 years ago
    Wood is beautiful, but it is not safe for young children or oder adults. To me function has to come first, and one can put runner without compromising beauty
  • mrsjaime_jor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! At this point, we decided to leave the steps bare- I can think about it and add later.
    Houk, the the entire stair set was removed from a home built in Paris, MO in 1886. Other than clean up and touch up, we weren't going to change anything (despite the horrible balustrade, as you called it). It was purchased and removed by my husband as an anniversary present. Modifications had to be made to fit our new construction home. It is completed now and the foyer is stunning. I'll post pictures soon!
  • Hélène
    9 years ago
    Will love to see the pictures of your foyer. :)
  • Mary Grant
    9 years ago
    Can put a great textured flat runner that blends into floor color. People will fall more with no covering. The treads will wear unless you wear socks which will always put all at risk for a fall. Bare feet OK, but one must live in a warm climate.
  • almostjane
    9 years ago
    After thinking about it for a few minutes, I think it's the quiet a runner would provide that I'd like, more than anything else. In some situations I like nothing on the floor, in some I like wall-to-wall carpet and in some an area rug. Like a woman wearing earrings, things just look a little more "finished" with something on the floor.
  • Hélène
    9 years ago
    The bottom line is that you may or may not want a runner. The best choice is what you want. Never go against a client wishes.
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    9 years ago
    I put a runner on my stairs because they were too slippery not only for children but for the elderly.
  • Mary Nigro
    9 years ago
    I love that you are putting a bit of history in your new home. Very cool! Maybe research and see what type of rug would be typical for the era, or if bare was the norm. Post pics of finished project. I would love to see it all done!
  • Hélène
    9 years ago
    The bottten line we would like to see what you have done done. I am sure it will be done with taste.
  • userinpgh
    9 years ago
    I have two boys who are 11 and 14 and they've grown up in a house with bare wooden stairs. I fell down the stairs more often during the brief period we had a runner. Everyone adapts. It's more a matter of taste.
  • Martha J. Chavarria
    9 years ago
    I would totally leave it as is.
  • A&R bought a ranch
    9 years ago
    I'm all for runners considering I just slid down the steps the other day. We have fully carpeted stairs but socks can be slippery. Lucky the padding (mine and the stairs) made the fall a bit softer. By the way, the stairs are gorgeous and have a wonderful history. I wonder whom all has traversed up and down those stairs.
  • spookietoo
    9 years ago
    Absolutely use a runner. Bare wood staircases are a major safety hazard - especially if anyone in the house tends to run around in sock feet. As an interior designer myself, I do not feel the need to accommodate all possible safety hazards in a private home, but this one is huge.

In her late 30's, my aunt, a very tiny, fit woman slipped on her wooden stairs as she was beginning to ready herself for a date. Slipping had happened several times before, but never anything serious. When her date showed up an hour and a half later, she had to yell to him thru the front door to come to the back to enter - and there she was - almost nude - no makeup - unable to move. Hospital visit - two weeks missed at work.....and no second date!

If your child slips and breaks anything, can you forgive yourself? I couldn't.
  • Jani
    9 years ago
    We had to build a new stair case in our 108 year old home. We wanted something nice for our unplanned reno... The new stairs were pretty slippery, but I think our stairs look even better with the runner! There were many styles to choose from too.
  • lake1114
    9 years ago
    Runners help soften the noise and protect the wood as well as the raisers. Plus if you have children, animals or older family members, carpet is safer for them as well.
  • Home Oniship
    9 years ago
    Go to YouTube and type in "Home OniShip" and you'll see all of my DIY home improvement tutorials. How to install a stair runner is the latest one. Enjoy!
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    Great thread. I love your old stair case even though it was pulled from its original home.( meaning that old house was probably torn down). It is great that you were able to fit it into your new home.
  • PRO
    Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd
    9 years ago
    I would use a runner. Kids usually run down the stairs (which can be pretty noisy) and a runner dampens the sound.
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Usually don't like carpet or runners, but I think your particular staircase it would actually look really nice.
    Georgetown Townhouse · More Info

West Arm Cottage · More Info

Entry · More Info
  • mrsjaime_jor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, the owners were tearing it down because it had previously been divided into apartments and fallen into horrible disrepair. My husband and I purchased the staircase, multiple doors, and many feet of trim that we used in our new home.
  • harrycage
    9 years ago
    I prefer leaving wood as it is, it looks classy! There are various ways to keep your kids safe from falling, teaching them to walk down/ up stairs slowly & carefully is one way.
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the info on the original house. I figured as much. I am glad that you were able to salvage some nice craftsmanship and give it new life.
  • mrsjaime_jor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finally finished (enough) to post dome pictures!
  • Whatknot
    9 years ago
    Looks beautiful. Nice job.
  • mrsjaime_jor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finally finished (enough) to post some pictures!
  • mrsjaime_jor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finished, for now...
  • User
    9 years ago
    Beautiful!!
  • mrsjaime_jor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is the window that came out of the house with the staircase.
  • lake1114
    9 years ago
    your staircase is stunning! Congrats on a job well done. What a great idea to purchase and reuse this beautiful piece of workmanship and history. It is amazing to think of all the people and their stories, that went up and down those stairs throughout all those years!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous! I love it!
  • rouxb
    9 years ago
    Lovely!
  • T K
    5 years ago
    I’m having the same dilemma. Are you happy you did not choose a runner?
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.