vanessa_rossi

my indoor succulents are not doing so well

vanessa.rossi
9 years ago

Hi,

I am growing a few succulents indoors and some of them seem to not be doing so well. I'm guessing the problem is the lack of direct sunlight (I thought they didn't necessarily need direct light). But I'm new at growing plants at home and thought I should ask for advice.
My succulents are all on small window pods (see picture). They do have drainage holes. The window gets southwest light. As you can see on the picture, the plants get lots of indirect light, but never direct light. Because they're kept indoors, I only water them once a week. I use a cactus & succulent soil mix I bought at the nursery. Didn't add sand or perlite to it.
None of them showed any significant growth, but I got them about a month ago and have no idea how fast they grow. I also have some herbs I bought on the same week and they grow like crazy! The burrito tail developed little spots and some leaves are a bit soft (see picture). Any clue of what those spots mean? Not enough light? The elephant food is also getting a bit soft.
The window pods are really tiny so I couldn't fit the whole plants in them. I left part of them in the soil and pots they came in. Both the elephant food and the burrito tail that remained in their original pots seem to be doing fine. They also only get indirect sunlight. Even though I'm concerned about the light, I'm wondering if that is maybe a sign the problem is the soil and not the light?
I read somewhere that if you're keeping outdoor plants indoors, it's a good idea to put them outdoors once a week and let them get some direct sunlight. I am wondering if my succulents can benefit from that or if that will cause leaf burn, considering they're not used to direct sunlight.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.