athorny

Garage - go underground or not? Maintain Arts and Crafts character

athorny
9 years ago
I would like to build a structure that can function as a motor vehicle garage for three cars, storeroom for our online retail business and potential office.

Our property is on a decent slope we have planned to put it in the front left of the plot, with the front lawn extending onto the top of the garage. To do this I will have to excavate about a metre down to keep the levels as well as have retaining walls around the driveway. We will then reclaim some of the existing driveway and be able to extend the front lawn. Having this extended front area will allow us to have more access to the front which has some fantastic Surrey Hills forest-scape views.

We have planning permission for an 8m x 7 m garage with this design. The original design shows the structure carrying enough topsoil to enable us to grow some lawn / shrubs on top.

My problems are:
1) I am not sure 8m x 7m is big enough to add in the storeroom / potential office. I think something like 11m x 8m with a car sliding mechanism for the third car (collector car driven only on special occasions)
2) Expense of building an underground structure.
3) Our house is a lovely classic Arts and Crafts design. What are my design options around the retaining walls down the driveway to keep / be in sympathy with Arts and Crafts.

Options I have thought about are:
1) Instead of having grass on top, have paving / stone courtyard. My assumption means I have to dig down less and have less of a spec roof because isn't so heavy. Are these assumptions correct? How do I make this fit in with arts and crafts?
2) Instead of having such a large one story garage, what about keeping the original size but what about building a typical roof and then having office in the garage loft? Maybe the entrance into the vertical side of the roof wall (if you get my meaning?).

Houzzers - please could you help me with ideas around:
1) Most cost effective method for building underground.
2) Other design ideas to manage to cost.
3) Other things you have learnt the hard way when trying something like this.

Thanks Houzzers

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.