jox548

Economical way of creating Crittal-style doors

Jo Middleton
10 May, 2015
In our Edwardian renovation/extension, we are planning to have double doors leading from the hallway into the open-plan dining kitchen. We really like the Crittal style of metal doors/windows but the cost is prohibitive for us. We have seen the doors in the attached pic, which look like a standard timber door, with a metal window frames - but not entirely sure how to go about creating the look. Can anyone help please? Thnx.

StephSmallDesign
    Whereabouts in the world are you situated? :)
  • Jo Middleton
    Hi - we're in West Horsley, Surrey, UK.
    StephSmallDesign

I wondered if Jeld-wen might have something, they are usually very affordable, but they only appear to have fully glazed doors - http://www.jeld-wen.co.uk/products/interior-doors/products/interior-doors/?productId=6640 Sorry not to be able to find something closer.

Jo Middleton thanked StephSmallDesign
    Skyglaze Ltd
    How about these they are double or triple glazed and aluminium frames so much cheaper the crittals we are local to you in byfleet surrey

www.skyglaze.co.uk

Check out our photo blog

Regards

Matt
    Jo Middleton thanked Skyglaze Ltd
  • Liza CCC

Hi Matt - Can you tell me what these are made from and if they are double glazed. Thanks

Skyglaze Ltd
    These are aluminium triple glazed but can also be double glazed
  • Liza CCC

Can you give me an approx. cost?

Sparrow & Blythe Kitchens

Have a look at The Heritage Window Company. They replaced some of our crittal windows with aluminium, but they are a very close match and look lovely. I am sure they could do something for you.

• Matt Hardy
    Yes Lisa just drop me a email with your sizes,or drawings

matt@skyglaze.co.uk
  • Liza CCC
    Will do when I get them back from the architect
  • tarryna

Hi Liza, just wondering if you ever found some affordable Crittal style doors. I'm in a similar situation in Surbiton. Thanks

• Greg Coltman

Ha all, Im wondering this too. Were you successful in finding a companythat made them at reasonable costs.

Regards

Greg

Skyglaze Ltd

Lots of pictures of Aluminium Heritage Projects By Skyglaze on this link

Skyglaze Heritage

MK Interiors Ltd

Hi Matt, do you have a contact number i can call you on?

• joannekemp

We are finding it hard to find a Aluminium Crittal style doors and windows available in our area - near Milton Keynes in Bucks. Any recommendations please? Many thanks

• Calvin Charnock
    If its internal doors could you not just buy wooden doors with glass panels in from like b&q and paint black? That's what I'm thinking of doing
  • joannekemp

Thanks for he tips Calvin but it's external. Wooden windows would be fine but we really want the door double glazed aluminium.

www.macmade.org

Hello,

I am a maker of metal and glass doors.

my work is on my site. macmade.org

StephSmallDesign

That's some beautiful work macmade.org :)

www.macmade.org

Thank you for your kind words!

Will

• Peter Howe
    Same issue with myself. I found SkyGlaze to be prohibitive as well. Anything simple around the 3K mark for an internal space; w4 x h3.5 meters
  • Peter Howe

@Jo Middleton did you find a resolution to this?

• HU-314430273

Do not trust William/Will McLoughlin of MacMade whatever you do! He has been stringing us along for weeks and weeks and still no doors and no refund of our £900 deposit. Ignores calls, emails etc. He appears to be conning people left right and centre. I am the third person to have just written a review to the same effect. Although he tried to tell me the first one was fake. He also threatened to leave my own business a bad review if I did him, which he has had absolutely nothing to do with! So disappointing and upsetting. A deep shame as his work did indeed look great. Highly unprofessional and dishonest and should not be trusted! Horrendous people like this can keep getting away with it.

• Peter Howe
    Ah .... I thought this was too good to be true. Thank you for this. Most appreciated.
  • HU-314430273

No problem. Should have listened to my same instincts. You live and learn. :(

• Peter Howe
    If I could work out how to PM you I would.
  • Daisy England

Peter, I was going to explain how to send an email/PM but the facility seems to have disappeared on my iPad so perhaps that’s why you can’t see how to do it. Not sure what’s going on here.

• Peter Howe
    Yes I can’t see it either. I’m tech savvy so I think maybe they have removed it!
  • Alan Gilmore

I am having real difficulty sourcing an alternative to traditional crittall.
    I'm hoping to create the classic crittal look with a dividing wall between my kitchen area and livingroom but at a fraction of the cost of the metal framed real thing.
    I was thinking perhaps wooden framed painted dark may create the same effect but again I'm having trouble sourcing this.... while keeping within our tight budget.

PLEASE HELP.

• Peter Howe
    A good carpenter. Dependent on size it could cost anything in the region of 3-6K
  • HU-176513679

Alan Gilmore did you end up doing it how did it come out?

• LTS
    Hi Alan, we used the same doors from for our little study. After the decorator had painted them & we removed the protective film from the glass we saw that the paint had bled into the inner frame. Unfortunately there is no way to remove the glass to paint the inner frame so that section will always remain untreated & ours looks worse because of the paint bleeding. Such a shame because from afar the doors look great....just don’t inspect them too closely! When we queried it with the decorator he said the film was there to protect painting errors whereas the big shed said it was there solely to protect the glass & that the decorator had used too much paint on the brush. Argh....
  • Danielle H

@LTS I had the exact same issue... I solved it by piping the thinnest line possible of black silicone around each pane. Looks so much better than seeing the pine rebate or bleeding paint!

• LTS
    Hi Danielle - thanks, do you have any pics & did you do it yourself? :)
  • Nuala Mc
    Hi, I'm in the West of Ireland looking for alternative to the metal Crittal doors. Any help would be welcome!