binguk

Retain garage set in rear of garden or remove and have nice garden?

Bing
8 years ago

Apologies for the long post but..

My wife and I have bought a Victorian end-terrace in a semi-rural village (with plenty of free, on-street parking). It has a decent-sized garden, especially for a terrace, though currently it is concreted and gravelled over and has an old garage set in one of the rear corners. The two terraces adjoining our block also have mature gardens with no garage. Our garage is accessed via an extremely tight driveway/passageway along the side of the house - so tight you really cannot reverse down it.

We bought it with a view to turning the garden back to lawn (perhaps with a small patio area too) and make it a proper family garden to be enjoyed again though to do so would really necessitate removing the garage as if we left it one would need three-point-turn onto any lawn to get the car back out the garage/garden again. It would also take-up a large portion of the garden if it were left.

My concern now is whether this is likely to be of more value when we sell in a few years or whether the garage with concrete garden is better? As we see it, we viewed and bought on the basis that we thought we'll turn it back to lawn and gardens of this size are quite rare for such terraces in the area. You can also back the car onto the start of the driveway at the front of the house if you really didn't want to park on the road and we have two sizeable sheds for storing anything that may go in the garage.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.