hzdeleted_23653207

Help! 1 man room, 2 purposes, 3 loves. Painting desk & PC/Geekery den.

User
8 years ago

Hi all, new to the community, but so much inspiration already!

I'm in middle of purchasing a new house with my wife, and as this will be our family home for years to come, I've managed to secure a 14ft by 7 ft dedicated space for my 'ugly/manly hobbies'. I need some help in finding a design to ensure my multi-function space is an attractive place to be, and not simply a den of man-junk. In a nutshell, the room will be used for PC (Work & Gaming), PS4 Console, and the building and painting of historical, fantasy and sci-fi miniatures (think airfix for the modern day).

The room itself is 14ft by 7ft, with double doors to the Garden centrally at one narrow end, and will be accessed by a single bookcase hidden door at the other. Furniture wise, I need space for one double and one single bookcase, a desk large enough to fit 3 widescreen monitors (so at least 4'7" wide) for the PC, and a small desk plus storage for painting and assembly of miniatures.

My passions and therefore assortment of 'manly/ugly' decor, include ancient history (particularly Egyptian), sci-fi (star trek, star wars, etc), Marvel, Fantasy (Lord of the Rings, Discworld, Game of Thrones, etc) and WW2.

How on earth do I get the history/medival fantasy and the futuristic sci-fi/comic book stuff into one room? Can I do two halves, should I use a divider, neutral the whole place frame everything in black and display everything in boxes? Really don't know where to start!

Any and all help appreciated!

Rick

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.