katieme2015

Help for furniture layout and decoration needed please

katieme2015
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi i have recently moved in and after some works this is how my open plan living/kitchen/dining room looks like i would appreciate some advice i have to keep the kitchen and worktop i also have just painted and lights are new this is the artwork i will be placing on top of sofa i am also putting up sone dark grey silk curtains and white sheer blinds by the windows thank you

Comments (106)

• firegard
    8 years ago

Actually I think you can afford to go for something quite dramatic. How about an emerald green rug, or purple, or a bright blue? I think the scheme needs an injection of colour. What do you think?

Debenhams sells a carpet/ rug in a variety of sizes that gives the impression of spilled paint! Great colour and great fun!

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks I like the finished look to be elegant and have a luxurious feel, do you think I will be able to achieve it if I don't stick with a neutral colour scheme?, Had a look at the debenhams ones and they are quite expensive would any of these one work
  • Related Discussions

Need help with layout change please for more open feel!

Q

Comments (19)
    Yep agree, it would be nicer to move in to a brand new house designed to our spec but unless we win the lottery this weekend that probably won't happen, haha! So this is the only way! Hopefully we will love it once it's all done. I'm just a bit OCD about tidiness and cleanliness so think I will drive my husband nuts! Cleaning up every five minutes!! It's literally not been touched in years, in fact most of it is original 1930s! Thanks again, it's such a great help, getting ideas from knowledgable and enthusiastic people on here.
    ...See More

New Living Room Furniture Layout Help Please :)

Q

Comments (1)
    This is the best layout i could come up with given the off centre fireplace
    ...See More

Open plan or semi open plan? Floor plan / furniture layout help please

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi all, Thank you for your comments; I appreciate them! Natasha - the units you have suggested are very much what I had in mind. We will have a shaker kitchen and the media unit would also be shaker style and would have 4-6 cupboards with the TV in the middle with book shelves either side. Part of the reason we kept a partial wall was to make the space more usable. I can’t envision how the fully open plan room will be able to meet all our needs, but I am open to ideas! I feel that open plan would be more impressive, but potentially less usable. With regards to the doors. I do plan to reverse the doors both into the kitchen and family room part, but couldn’t work out how to do it on the app I used for the floor plan. It is a 1920s house and we have the original doors which we are planning to keep. We are also keeping a lot of floor space as when the table is not extended, we still have young children with lots of Lego and trains etc. I plan for these to be hidden in the cupboards at bedtime. J - we haven’t installed the kitchen but we have ordered it and paid a big deposit. Some of the units are bespoke/irregular sizes and I don’t think we would be willing to change this. I have attached a photo of our rendered kitchen plan. Thanks again for your comments. It is good to have other people’s opinions and ideas.
    ...See More

Need Help with Furniture Layout Please - End of Terrace House

Q

Comments (5)
    With the shape of the room, it may be that your furniture looks better when not against walls so that you bring it into the room more room almost trick the eye and for it to feel a more square room. Using a rug will really help to zone the space. If you’d like help with the layout of your room, we would love to help you! 😊 https://www.thelivinghouse.co.uk/affordable-online-interior-design-packages
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

The curtains look good. They are a bit darker than remembered. Is it your camera though?You can add colour to the room and still have it looking elegant but are you moving too far away from what you initially wanted and therefore may not be happy with the end look? Maybe it's the art that is the issue. Could you reuse it elsewhere and have a rethink on accessories and colour?

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Agree minnie, yes curtains are darker than expected, i had trouble previously finding affordable large artwork and i like this one though i am finding it a challenge to match to anything you know i am always open to suggestions what do you think i should use on top of the sofa any ideas i would like to keep a neutral colour scheme but would like the space to be inviting the tv unit needs to go eventually as i also think its not helping , think i am going to stay with the dining tables at the moment but everything looks so empty.thanks
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

They look good anyway though. Maybe do use the art elsewhere. Do you know what the cost of framing is where you are? My house is similarish to what I think your inspirational pic was from memory but not in a pale grey and looked a little too oriental themed so I've been "anglicising" it. I've ordered a similar art print to this for £45 and am then getting it framed ( I think horses always look good in an elegant scheme!). I've also ordered artificial white hydrangea to put in a vase. For yours if I've got the right pic in my head I would go for a large pale grey rug and cushions in white and grey with artwork with a predominantly white background. For the tv, long term, I would get either a long console table or long sideboard and put the tv on top of that so you can accessorise the furniture to "disguise the tv". I think it would also help if you move both sofa and tv up 1-2 ft. Maybe a lamp for your side table? I wouldn't despair though

it is looking good and takes time. I'm still not 100% with my lounge and it's been over a year. I only got my coffee table 2 months ago!

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Minnie bringing my thread back to my inspiration greatly appreciated. Funny you mention the horse print initially I saw a photo on houzz that had a lovely horse pic it was in a black framed if I am not mistaken and I loved it think it was hung up in a dining room. Not sure how much it would cost locally to frame but once I have the dimensions I can find out had a quick look at ebay and found a seller from china with free postage. It will take ages to arrange (yes I know I need to be patient). Think you are spot on with what I am trying to achieve. Where is your print from
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Love this one but it is small
  • firegard
    8 years ago

I also love neutral schemes, but I don't think this precludes colour accents.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

That's good, maybe go back to your inspiration and rethink. You have the foundations of the room there so it may take a while accessorising! My art is from Lydia kiernan, it's just available through her website. Love the last pic. you could always go for a set of prints. I suppose the issue is the length of that sofa! You could always add a mirror over the sofa instead and art elsewhere as it's easy to get something big, I'm just not a personal fan of sitting under a mirror unless that's just with my husbands diy skills! Can you post your inspiration again please?

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Wondering if i may be able to pay for an image download and get a local company to print it out, anybody done this
  • katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    I have a large silver mirror i could hang but i prefer a large print i have added into my idea book katieme a few inspirations photos hope it helps to show what i would like to achieve as i am unable to post onto thread from my iphone thanks
  • katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Firegard thats my problem injecting colour and putting everything together so any advice is helpful and take on board as its hard to step back and see what it is lacking
  • PRO
    Atlantis rugs
    8 years ago

Hi there,

you have great space in the middle of your room, ever thought of purchasing a rug to ring the room together?

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

found a reasonable priced artwork this is the largest I could find, what do you think. A2Z RUG Ltd thanks I will be looking at a rug but I'll have to decide on the artwork first by middle of room you mean where the coffee table is?

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago

measurements 60x180cm

• PRO
    Photo4me.com
    8 years ago

Hi Katieme, I'm glad I waited a little to reply to your post. I could have said anything really (we have over 300,000 pictures to choose from). I was maybe going to suggest something abstract, but if you're looking for horses. We have few on the site which might interest you.

http://www.photo4me.com/canvasprints/horses

Let me know what you think =)

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago

Photo4me thanks I will definitely have a look do you deliver internationally? and I have noticed your standard prints dont go very large I need as a minimum 180cm long, preferably longer as my sofa is quite large (and canvas might be too expensive to ship abroad). Not specially looking for horses but like the idea and I think it fits in nicely with the look I am trying to achieve, looking for something with neutral colour scheme elegant looking thanks

• PRO
    Atlantis rugs
    8 years ago

@katieme yes love the horse art work! simple yet elegent. A cream rug would be ideal with the beautiful horse artwork. We have wide collection of rugs ranging from modern to more traditional on our websit www.a2zrug.co.uk

here is example of just two different types:

Mayebe some subtle colours to enhance your room.

• PRO
    Photo4me.com
    8 years ago

Hi katieme. Yes we do ship internationally, best would be to contact customer care for shipping prices. Size changes given the product, please change the product to "Canvas Prints" and you should get the bigger sizes from ~120cm to ~200cm depending on the shape of the image. That is for a single image, we can always do a triptych (again email customer care to look more in depth) like you suggested above. I try to get a sense of what might interest you. I think the best result would be to just use the search bar on the site and think of places or things that you might like and see what turns up. =)

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    These are a few photos I like the style of
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Two more
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

They're all quite easy to achieve with what you've got already. I must admit the first one is my favourite and what I had in my head as you originally wanting! I'd pick out the favourite elements of each and just copy or choose something similar. You're only a few accessories anyway! Have you got bits you need help with?

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    The truth is when i look At all of them i like the colour scheme and style as they all look contemporary but elegant, light and spacious particularly like the dining table decoration on the 4th photo and dining chairs. Love the rug on the 1st photo but it is to inpracticable as its to light. My worries with rugs are that if i go fir a darkish one it will darken the scheme and that is what i am trying to avoid i also need a rug thats light as it gets very warm here jn summer and not too sure what size and i imagine i need one for undeeneath the coffee table and one for underneath the dining table but not sure on how big they should be. The area i am struggling is accessories i got a lot of glass and silver at the moment so not sure how to continue would like suggestions as to what to put on top of tables and what colour, textured and of course still not sure on colour scheme for cushions should i stick with grey orbshould i incorporate champagne or gold colour? dont want it to look to cold, and as to artwork should i go for the three horse print i posted. Is there anything i currently got not fitting in to the style i am trying to achieve. Sorry but i am stuck at the moment thanks
  • PRO
    Atlantis rugs
    8 years ago

I would incorporate some colour as it can become be bit cold speacially throughout winter when it is dark and grey outside. Creams, golds or even champagne colours are subtle but also not over powering. This will give the room more colour but also still maintain the rooms feel of light and bright style.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

It sounds as if a deep pile rug is out? Why don't you look at one of the geometric rugs that are around at the moment as it's a classical style. The one in the pic is bold but I'd look at light grey and white. Have you bought from Wayfair before as it looks as if they may ship to Spain and they are quite cheap? Or maybe one of the faded persian style ones. In terms of size I would either go for one where all the front feet sit on the rug or one where the back feet of the chaise also sit on the rug as per the pics. I think you'd either need 12 x 9 ft or 8x 10 depending on where you place it. I wouldn't have one where just the coffee table is on the rug as it isn't zoning the area. Maybe go for those faded damask cushions and then a coloured plain velvet ( try maybe amethyst or pale lilac if you want some colour) and move the throw to the chaise part. Are your changing the dining table? If so i would hold off on the rug for there. I would maybe pick up a blue and white oriental vase from an antiques shop and pop some faux white hydrangea in for the middle of the coffee table then add a book or pile of books in the corner and look for a nice candle in a container or hurricane lamp so you have 3 things of differing height. For the side table, look at maybe wooden urn style or ginger jar lamp bases with a pale shade. Have a look at India jane for inspiration as they have loads. I'm a huge fan of ginger jars and i can spot some in your inspiration pics! I would get one for the the dining table but if you don't like them look for something with some height. The horse pic looked good. I would change the tv unit in time as you've said before and maybe swap for some upholstered dining chairs. Made.com do some reasonable ones but not sure if they ship

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Rug position

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Other rug position!

• PRO
    Atlantis rugs
    8 years ago

Once you have decided on the size of the rug, we have website with different styles and colours of rugs to choose from. Adding a rug is like adding art to your decor or extending your style.

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago

thanks as always for your advice. I have found some lovely cushions on etsy. There is particularly one I love which is on a white background and has a gold trellis pattern on it, very elegant. Perhaps if I can incorporate champagne silk cushions at the back put the trellis one in front and look for a floral one for the middle as minnie prevously suggested. I had a look at the wayfair website there is a rug I like have emailed them to see whether they deliver abroad and see what the shipping cost is ( I have copied the link to the rug below). Just before I proceed looking for accessories would silver and grey look good with touches of champagne and gold or would it clash, as my curtains are dark grey and possibly the rug I'll end up choosing would be grey

http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Safavieh-Courtyard-Mali-Anthracite-Beige-Rug-CY6243-246-SAFA1182.html

Sorry for the questions it's normally at this stage I get things horribly wrong.

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago

oh forgot to add I need loads of throws to cover the scratch marks my cat has made on my leather sofa. We were going to get new ones but have decided against it as he will only do it again and its a shame to waste the money.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Safavieh-Brady-Silver-Ivory-Textured-Rug-CAM121D-SAFA7048.html I think that rug is out of stock. This one is lighter and is 9x6. Can you measure the distance from the sofa feet to the far edge of the coffee table? Ideally I'd have at least 12 inches of rug visible on the other side of the coffee table. The cushions sound great! Personally I'd go for a pale silver or dove grey behind them to contrast and bring in the grey from the walls etc but champagne would also work (or add both so less throws which are more expensive! I like mixing metallics in a room and champagne will be great. Have you tried one of the leather repair kits for the sofa? They do them on Amazon but i don't know if they work

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Katie there's a nice rug on the Leroy Merlin website if that makes it easier for you : http://www.leroymerlin.es/fp/320802_alfombra1z1astral/320802_alfombra-astral-alfombra-astral?pathFamilaFicha=320802
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Hi Katie, this is a Swedish company but they do free shipping and returns in the EU, lots of nice rugs on here: https://www.rugvista.com/
  • katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Oh no really out of stock!, i am going to have a look locally over the weekend and see what i can find. Been thinking on the horse print as i wasnt 100% sure on the three part print going to continue looking for three individual prints same colour scheme but with a black frame think it will look better with what i am trying to achieve thanks minnie for the tips as to rug size and decoration. Will order the trellis cushion and i really like the three tall vases on the dining table in on one of the inspiration photos so will try and find something similiar
  • katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Thanks mrs mcee just seen your post after posting thats brillant love the leroy merlin one and its handy to get them too thank you
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I thought you'd gone into labour as you'd been quiet! Yes, it does appear to be out of stock. Good find by mrsmcee though. I must admit I would be tempted to hang the horse print butt up against each other but it is a good print! I spent SO long looking for a print I liked! It sounds like you're on the right track now, will be good to see it accessorised

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Haha not yet lets hope he stays in for a couple of days longer need to get things ready plus i need to get that rug. Yes minnie i do love the print but tbh i love it when its not as a three print and if i out it together i wont be big enough, the challenge now is finding three prints that match but im on the case, and still looking at ine if them being a horse. Finally sheer blinds are up and i had a compliment from my husband last night saying the house is looking good yay cant wait to have it accessorised completely thanks
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Oh, so you know what you're having then?! aren't you meant to be relaxing at this stage?! I do agree re the horse, it's just so hard to find such large prints and ones that don't cost a fortune. Are you pleased with the blinds? That's good, it is looking really good and will be fantastic once finished

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Yes a boy, thats what everybody says but for me decorating is relaxing besides ill be stressing when i have visitors and house is not presentable. Yes loving my blinds
  • PRO
    Harleen McLean
    8 years ago

If you're looking for bespoke fabrics, Thats what we do, so call us on 07885720377. Take a look at our website. www.bhabrabydesign.com

If there is a particular design you like or hate a section of prints that inspire you, keep them handy and we can put a new design together for you, we can also look designing rugs to your specification.

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So here is how my open plan currently looks like still on the hunt for coffee table decorations and prints and waiting on the patterned cushions to arrive. Went to pics up rug saw it in a different colour but they didn't have the grey one in stock, need to order but will do so after the summer as it's too warm. Brought the dining room table decorations what do you think?, also starting to think on sideboard for tv any suggestions as to colour and style
  • katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Hi all i am back this is how it now looks like getting there slowly i am going to ask for help once again, what furniture can i get especially for the tv wall am unsure as to style and colour i was thinking of a longer tv unit this one measures 180cm and a tall cabinet or sideboard beside it. The round table will be going as i an getting a long island and the long dinning table to coming to the bay area as my husband insists he likes to eat by the window any help anyone?
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Katie. How are you? How's the baby?
    I like the new sofa position and art. I must admit I find arranging different bits of furniture on a long flat ŵall quite hard! I would probably go for a long bookcase with tv built in. You could get something made or ikea may have something. If ikea I'd paint in a chalk paint and maybe customise handles etc so it's more of a library look and accessorise with books, horses head, bust etc to get the look I think you wanted? I would then angle the wing chair in front of the bookcase so it's facing towards the sofa. Alternatively, you could try a low'ish sideboard with the tv on top and sky etc inside (I cut holes in the back of my "tv cabinet"). I would then have a slim bookcase against the pillar by the bay. For this option I'd choose matching furniture. Have you tried the other table in the bay? Maybe furniture in a soft white

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Thanks minnie we r both doing well. Thanks for your comments very helpful as always :), should be moving the table soon as i need to know how much space i will have to play around. Must advice i loved the idea of having french style furniture especially in a light colour but not to sure if it will look out of space with the kitchen style
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Finally moved table I have also found some pieces of furniture I like, what are your thoughts?, will be having them custom made so I am being very careful on measurements the unit for the tv will be placed where my current one is although it will be slightly longer beside (where the side table currently is) I am thinking if placing he Chinese unit although will be slightly lower and narrower than the one of the pic. I have also opened another thread as to improvements in my kitchen area but think as it is open plan it may be useful to post pics of all here. Thank you
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    These are the pieces I like
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Katie. I do like the furniture you've chosen, as I said previously I would personally struggle to arrange furniture on a flat ŵall without corners, alcoves etc! I think it might be an idea to create a new post so others may be encouraged to respond without reading through previous comments. It may potentially work if you were to move the tv unit to the right. Have a floor lamp to the left of the unit and the chair angled in front of the lamp. Perhaps have a long piece of art or set of 2/3 to the right of the tv with maybe a plant stand or something and then the chinese cabinet. Do play around with the height of things though. I know you've looked before but I really think you need an area rug to zone the living space. Re kitchen not sure of your current thoughts but have you thought of a peninsular coming off that right ŵall within the kitchen? If you were to move the dining table perhaps a couple of accent chairs and table for the bay to keep your husband happy?!

• katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Thanks minnie as always i am so grateful for your great advice will open a new thread to see what others thoughts are do you like the new placement of tables (swap of dinning/kitchen tables), as to kitchen still undecided others have advices me as to having an island due to the difference in kitchen flooring so will look into options oh hubby likes dinning table by bay not really using the other table by kitchenso makes me think whether i still need one there
  • Jonathan
    8 years ago
    I like the furniture placement and much better to have just the one table. The room is looking great.
    I personally would add a large house plant to the left of the TV and something tall to the right (perhaps a bookcase.
    On the TV wall near the kitchen I would also add a huge mirror.
    Lastly I would look at your wing back chair. In my opinion it seems a little high- replacement feet are inexpensive and if this is a modern piece likely screw in.
  • katieme2015a
    8 years ago
    Jonathan thanks great idea will turn the chair and have a look if they are easy to replace but the sofa and chair is something i will be changing soon once i have sorted out the other pieces and what to do with the space by the the kitchen do you think the chinese wedding cabinet will work instead of a bookcase?
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.