eirehome

IKEA bodbyn grey kitchen - wall paint

eirehome
8 years ago
I'm remodelling my kitchen, always thought I'd go for a white kitchen but have fallen in love with the bodbyn grey from ikea! What colour would you paint the walls? I'm thinking a white subway tile for the backsplash.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    InterMix Interiors
    8 years ago

Just an idea but I have done this kitchen with gray lowers and a gray island with white upper cabinets and it is beautiful! Light gray walls and bright white crown with one shade off white on the gray scale for the ceiling to make the crown pop. What are you doing for the counter tops? If you are looking local and do it yourself I know that Home Depot has a wide variety of subway stone splashes:) Enjoy enjoy!

• eirehome
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You read my mind! This is my other inspiration kitchen... I love the two tone cabinets! But, if I was going with ikea, the bodbyn cabinet also comes in an off white which apparently has yellow undertones. I would like to do a grey and white marble effect countertop with white subway tiles but I'd be concerned that the white tile and counter would highlight the yellow in the upper cabinets..
  • PRO
    InterMix Interiors
    8 years ago

Calacatta Gold has a warm vein so you get the look of gray and white marble with a warm tone:)

• C G
    8 years ago

I thought about doing this as well with the grey on the bottom and white above, but I have one of those tall pantry cabinets that goes from the bottom all the way up to the top cabinets. Which color would you do that then? Not sure if it will still work.

• eirehome
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'd have a tall cabinet too. In the grey and white kitchens I've seen the tall cabinet is grey, it looks well.
  • PRO
    InterMix Interiors
    8 years ago

For the tall panty cabinet I would stay with the gray:)

• C G
    8 years ago

Thanks for your input! @eirehome you will have to post pictures when you are done. I'd love to see it. It will be awhile till I get to mine. We just recently moved in and have tons on the to-do list before anything like that will happen! :)

• Michael Oliver
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Did you end up with the Bobdyn kitchen? I am thinking of taking advantage of the Ikea kitchen event on right now, and have been eyeing the bobdyn as well. Would love to see some pictures!

• Lara Tong
    7 years ago

• Flavia Zammit Dousias
    6 years ago

Hi everyone. I am also getting a BODBYN grey kitchen with wood countertop. I would appreciate your thoughts on wall paint colours! We will have white subway tiles and I was going for a "Swiss coffee" by Crown. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Flavia (Malta, Europe)

• Georgina Barath
    6 years ago

I have just put in Bodbyn grey kitchen cabinets and I am planning on white subway tiles for the backspash and laminate for the countertop near the sink. I would like to use butcherblock for the other countertop but I don't know if I should go dark or light with the wood tone. I will bring in colour in a few canisters and cookie jar.anyone with any ideas ? I am very pleased with the cabinets, they went together very quickly and are very good quality. I am having trouble finding a drop in sink for a 30 inch cabinet as I want 18 gauge.

• Tania Byrne
    5 years ago

Hi I'm considering getting this kitchen too. Could i see pictures please and was it expensive to purchase

• kel_kat5
    4 years ago

@InterMix Interiors what light grey do you like with Ikea Bodbyn off-white counters? I chose grey marble quartz from Ikea as countertop. Thanks!

• Me AGirl
    4 years ago

@InterMix Interiors

Hi,
    I’ve decided to go with offwhite bodbyn, and changed the bottoms to grey.

The toekick will be grey, stainless steel appliances, tall pantry new corner next to fridge... what colour pantry should we do?
    If white, then what colour toekick under pantry?

Over the cabinets we will have almost 11” to the ceiiing.
    We want to build it up, using MDF, or the panel off white,
    And then crown moulding at the ceiling.
    Q: what colour crown moulding? If white or same as cabinets?

What colour ceiling? And walls?

• Me AGirl
    4 years ago

What colour/style backsplash?
    Countertop?

Our tiles are calacatta grey with a light grey grout,

• HU-867083098
    3 years ago

What colour did you go with on the walls in the end? I’m about to install a Bodbyn grey kitchen and I’m thinking of a Dulux paint called Scandinavian Sky

• Me AGirl
    3 years ago

@Georgina Barath can we see your Ikea kitchen please. Always fun to see other ideas

• Me AGirl
    3 years ago

the kithen is painted a greige(grey/beige)

the white trims stand out beautifully,

our house is styled in modern craftsmen/rustic.

these pictures were taken before the pot filler was installed, crown moulding, stone countertop and backsplash.

(had a temporary countertop while waiting).

above the stove you can see some sample of the paint colour.

• HU-867083098
    3 years ago

Oh that’s a beautiful kitchen. i love everything about it. My kitchen is much smaller and open plan leading into a large living area so I am reluctant to use two different colours on the walls. I have my heart set on a duck egg blue for the living area but not sure how it will look with the Bodbyn Grey. The nearest shade I have found so far is a Dulux paint colour called Scandanavian Sky

• Me AGirl
    3 years ago

Thank you soo much for your compliments. It makes me happy as we did everything ourselves (took a while since only had sometimes time during the weekends).

id love to see your kitchen as soon as you have the bodbyn installed. What colour countertops/backsplash, floors do you have?

can buy a small “tester” can/container and try it. Can always be painted over.

we really dont have much exposed wall directly next to the cabinets... except for the 15”deep (island against the wall). we have large opening above that “breakfast” counter to the family room (so as we sit we can watch tv that’s over the fireplace.).

That room we also decided to paint the same as the kitchen.

would have been too tight to have an island in the middle of the kitchen.

• HU-867083098
    3 years ago

I hear you. My hubby is a builder but we still only get time to work on our place at the weekends. We have not put the floor down yet but it’s a smoky peat. We are in Australia so the ranges are slightly different here. I am going to see if I can get some more paint samples this weekend because the ones I picked have too much blue in them

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.