angelaaka

Fireplace or no fireplace?

angelaaka
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am renovating & extending a 1830s cottage. The small, dark snug (in the old part) will have a woodburning stove (in the original inglenook fireplace) & TV. I had imagined the larger sitting room in the new extension (lots of glazing and sliding doors to) would have a woodburner too, but it's not necessary for heating purposes as there will be underfloor heating, fuelled by a wood pellet boiler, so it's just an expensive focal point (that I might never light!). Also I'm trying to cut costs so doing without a second woodburner and chimney would be a massive saving. While you can buy wood pellet boilers with a live flame and window they are pretty ugly and are not as aesthetically pleasing as log-fired woodburners. (However, I have found an inset style that could look quite mid-century, which I love, though 60s mid-century cool could easily become 60s council house cheese??). So my dilemma is: do I install a aesthetically questionable wood pellet stove/boiler in the sitting room as the focal point or do I install a boiler style wood pellet boiler (ie no visible flame, just looks like a large metal box) in the utility room and have a sitting room without either a woodburner or wood pellet boiler? Perhaps just have a TV integrated into a bookcase taking up the entire wall (or other ideas anybody?). NB. I don't want the TV as the focal point and, having spent most of my life in old houses with fireplaces, I can't imagine a sitting room without one! But with the right design I could probably get my head round it! Really interested to hear your views on this.

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.