daniellehinves83

Kitchen diner inspiration

daniellehinves83
8 years ago
Hi there - I'm looking for a bit of advice from people on my kitchen diner if possible. We've moved into a new build and the rest of the house is really starting to come together and feel very homely (mostly due to some advice on this site). However, I'm really struggling with the kitchen - I just can't get any warmth from it or seem to feel homely in it. Even when we're sat at the table I feel a bit perched there and not very relaxed. I'm not convinced we made the right choice on the bamboo flooring but it was expensive and is new so can't really be changed now - the same goes for the kitchen cabinets and fridge/freezer as we only moved in in October.

As you can see from the walls - I've started looking at colours but really can't decide what would look best and whether paint is the best route to go or a wallpaper on the table wall. Excuse how not straight the frames are - they're were out up quickly to see what it would look like.

I'm not really sure where to even begin on this so was hoping for a bit of advice. As a side note, whilst I quite like the table, I wouldn't be opposed to up cycling that in some way. I hate the chairs but a bit hesitant to buy brand new ones due to expense and unsure if painted up cycled ones would work with the table as it currently is.

Any help would be really appreciated - usually I achieve homely with soft furnishings but can't really do that in the kitchen...

Comments (26)

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Danielle. Is the lounge painted green? How much light does the kitchen get? I'd turn the table the other way. It looks as if it can also be moved away from the ŵall and your pendant would then be central? If you can afford it I would change the chairs, you can get eames style etc for £50 etc. I'd go for something with a pop of colour. Your art looks great so would just rehang that. I would however remove the pieces below the ŵall cabinet. Try the curtains without the tie backs. I think with a few accessories this could look great. Atm there appears to be 2 styles mixed so would stick to the one. I like the kitchen, floor and table!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Danielle, What I would say is that the pictures are too close together and you only need 3 at best if you put them up. With tester paints.. Paint onto pieces of paper and paint a proper amount and more of it so you can see better how it really looks.. Try to consider a few at a time rather than a whole load.. It may help to process and look at them at different times of the day to see how they change with the light levels... I like the bamboo! I think it adds warmth.. I'd bring the table out further into the room so it has it's place. This may help to feel like it's meant to be there...

Consider having 2 chairs at the sides so leaving the heads of table free.. It will help to keep the flow open when looking from kitchen end.. Lastly choose a complimentary colour that will also work with the worktop and curtains.... So that you can paint the dining wall and accent the kitchen. This will greatly bring the two sides together and give the two areas continuity.. Try to aim for a free worktop.. This will actually even the cream, as the eye will be drawn to the cream areas more naturally at eye level.. but with anything below as Minnie has mentioned moving things there.. the eyes are drawn downward towards the books etc.... For warmth, remember the floor you have put in... Bamboo or wooden chopping boards will also accent the wood from the floor and table.. : ))

• Related Discussions

My kitchen diner (diner part) help.

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi there, You could opt for a light grey roller blind in dimout fabric to keep with the contemporary feel of the room. Our system allows you to swap the fabrics whenever you like without having to replace the complete system. Check us out at blocblinds.co.uk. Good luck with such an exciting project! Kiera
    ...See More

Kitchen/Diner

Q

Comments (10)
    Looks good! Based on the dimensions you gave I think you have enough width in the room to have an island and dining table provided you don't have barstools at the island. Maybe you could have them at one end if you fancied it but perhaps you don't need it with the table right there. The only thing I would say is that the fridge freezer is quite far away from your working space which could be a bit impractical. Perhaps move it to where the tall larder cupboards are going instead? You could use that nook as open pantry storage for 'attractive' items like pasta in storage jars etc. Do get in touch if you'd like any additional help with design, space planning or layout drawings. Good luck with your project! Jennifer
    ...See More

Kitchen diner, or kitchen, living diner?

Q

Comments (24)
    Yes we needed an RSJ and all of the walls underpinning as there were no foundations. Was very costly but definitely worth it as we live in that end of the house. I think that With having an older property, costs do just spiral. I can’t remember how much the RSJ was, sorry. i think our building work was about £25000. Can you leave the fireplace in and have it open so you can see it from both sides? Then have your kitchen and dining in the current lounge and your living area where it is at the moment but open it up apart from the firePlace? We’ve left in our old exposed stone work and cleaned it up.
    ...See More

Kitchen/ diner renovation inspiration!

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi, can you tell us a bit more about what you want, how you want to live, who lives in the house, | what activities do you do in the house, what's the most important space for you?, where ( which room) do you spend most of the time, and why? what are you missing about the current house layout? what would be the dream to have? so we don't create just generic layouts, but spaces that will be ideal for your family.
    ...See More
  • Jonathan
    8 years ago

easy peasy.

You have so much white you can put a really bold colour on the walls. I like the tester colour on the right that looks like khaki.

Personally I think that the pictures are too high. Try putting a row of them at eye level.

I would turn the dining table 90 degrees and put it on a rug- probably a pale grey.

I would get an extra piece of furniture for storage and place behind the door so that you can clear the worktops.

In my opinion the curtain pole is a little high and could probably do with being a little wider so that the curtains look less squashed. I would also try to get a roman blind made for the window in the same fabric.

A large plant will also help

I really like the bamboo floor BTW.

• daniellehinves83
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi - thank you for the advice!

So a colour that would go with the work top and curtains, what sort of colour do you think I should be looking at - as you can probably see from the wall I can't see to even decide vaguely on a palette...

With regards to the table I will try both ways round and have just 4 chairs. Do you think coloured enamels chairs would work with the table as it is - and would you suggest all the same colour or maybe mix it up.

We're thinking about tiles under the counter as the wall near the oven is getting a bit grubby but do you think I should match that into the dining wall as well - I'm not sure whether to go patterned or plain subway type tiles.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Danielle, I think something that compliments the strong colours in the room, so that is the cabinets, worktop, floor, walls and curtains- as green is another colour there.. If 2 chairs can sit at the sides if table remains lengthways.. It will not cut off the view along the table to wall.. You could use coloured enamel chairs yes but keep them the same colour.. something semi opaque perhaps.... Something that feels less solid although the current ones do currently work with the brown worktop. It may be that you situate them to the sides so the eye again doesn't focus on them from the kitchen and break the flow.

If you want to paint the walls but keep it clean at the same time, why not consider a transparent glass splash back as an alternative... It would then be very easy to tie it in with the rear wall.. I love a subway tile too but you have options... Work out what you want to paint the wall in first and then work from there... It's the largest space for colour and will define the rest..

: ))

• mrskain1
    8 years ago
    I would add a back splash. Possibly new countertops and maybe trade out some of the upper cabinets with glass inserts. Also, I would get rid of the trim that spans between the two uppers over the hood. It cuts visually and makes the room seem low. I think your prints are very nice but the wrong color frame. Too dark. I'd paint them a light color.
  • PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello,

I like your kitchen and the colours you have already tired out on the wall. I wouldn't cover the wall with wallpaper, I would rather consider adding some floating shelves to the wall and fill them with some ornaments in striking colours.

The olive green looks very nice on the wall so as the blueish colour, do you already have a choice?

StJames Design Interiors

• louisep2012
    8 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/11283868

Maybe some chairs like these. I think I would paint a feature wall in the yellow you have there, with other walls either a very pale grey or white. Have you seen picture ledges, you could hang a couple of those to place your pictures on. You will find these at ikea.
    I think the yellow would contrast nicely with your curtains and tie in with your pictures too.
  • Jules
    8 years ago
    Can you make the washing machine integrated? Having washing machines on display in an open plan kitchen diner is one of the killers of atmosphere.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    It just needs new paint, simply paint first..that's what the problem is,so here is some inspiration
  • daniellehinves83
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much for all the comments - they're really starting to help me visualise the space as it could be. From the various comments above I am thinking about the below;

- Move the table out so central under the lamp with only 4 chairs
    - with regards to the chairs I am quite taken with the eames style chairs but conscious this will still cost around £180 for 4 chairs - I wondered if slipcovers to lighten mine might be a better idea? Or I have the offer of the chairs in the pic below which I could paint and reupholster the seat pads? What do people think?
    - we have a pot of farrow and ball green blue paint in the cupboard from a previous house (unopened) so I thought it might be sensible to do that - is it enough of a colour - the room isn't actually that light from mid afternoon so I'm not sure something darker will work
    - thinking of white metro tiles with grey grouting (to go with the kitchen work top) - I'm hoping it won't make it look more clinical. Plan to get a flat weave light grey rug for the table too.
    - with regards to the curtains I will increase the curtain pole size and remove hold backs - because the kitchen can appear quite dark I wondered if the below curtains would be better? I already have them spare and thought with the birds on might be nice framing the garden but do you think they will look very twee?

Thanks so much again for all the help!!
  • daniellehinves83
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Curtains...they do a roller blind in this too
  • daniellehinves83
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    These are the chairs on offer...
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Danielle, Why not see what you feel about the curtains.. I like plain for the room and light but you will see what works for you. I personally hate "twee" but... they are your curtains and they may do for the time being if you cannot find any plain light ones.. . The chairs are good, like the back rest, it's a nice design and will be complimentary with the table.. Also not being dark means it doesn't dominate the space..

With a reupholstered seat pad, you can change this as often as your kitchen! Think the tiles sound nice and I don't think clinical at all.

I'd be mindful of using a paint just because you have it.. Paint an a4 size onto paper and stick this up to see what you really think.. If it works and you really like it then gr8! : ))

• kimbles37
    8 years ago
    mrskain, please could you tell me the source of that worktop in the third picture?
  • Niamh McG
    8 years ago
    Can you pul the table out from the wall? It makes it feel much more inviting.
  • mrskain1
    8 years ago
    Hi Danielle. I believe those counters are by Icestone.
  • kirsty30k
    8 years ago
    Hi Danielle, iam having a similar problem like yourself and to my amazement you have the same kitchen and work tops as me. All of mine is new also as we have just had an extension built and made it open plan. We have papered our focal wall with the leaf paper below. My struggle is what flooring and dining range to have I really like what you have down and like to know, if possible what the name and where you got your flooring from and your table also. Much appreciated if so.
  • daniellehinves83
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Kirsty - how funny!! The flooring is the bamboo flooring that is available at Topps Tiles, whilst the dining set was from Harvey's a couple of years ago but I think they may still do it and believe it was part of the Toulouse range.

We've nearly completed the kitchen now so will posts some pics when done
  • daniellehinves83
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi all - I just wanted to say thanks so much for everyone's advice and comments on this. The kitchen isn't quite finished yet - still debating on whether the curtains on the patio doors work and what to do for the window but we're nearly done so thought I would post the some pics after putting a fair few of your comments into action. As I say it is still a bit of a work in progress so feel free to add any comments if you think there are bits still to be done.

Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Danielle,

That's looking good isn't it. Think the tiling has helped lift quite a bit.. and actually gives you some texture too.. In the dining area the seating is good that way around.. Pictures are nicely spaced there, it has room and looks more elegant definitely.. The curtains look good hanging naturally... Think the colour would be fine but hard to say as both sets including your first are taken at night... : ))

• daniellehinves83
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    That's interesting that you mention texture AJ... I do like the room it but I am still finding it feels a bit... flat but can't really put my finger on it
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Danielle,

Possibly find a few more chopping boards... They look gr8 stacked in a row, 1 behind the other closer to the oven.. different sizes for different things.. Marble too is nice... even a white marble pestle and mortar.. things like this display and put the fruit on the dining table..

If you had a large wooden block at one side of the hob.. this is not only really helpful if you have a lot of pans and want to put one aside whilst hot, but it breaks up the brown and introduces an element from the floor... Look at your dining table and chairs for inspiration.. see how the brown looks rather nice with the light oak...

I think if you tried these small things... put the books away that you aren't using and anything that isn't vital for display.. This too will help... Try grouping the toaster and kettle together. So really you're introducing the warm oak colour and grouping the white together.. it will lift the worktop and accent the cupboards, flooring to bring it all together..... : ))

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Danielle. A plant and a potted herb will also add life. Perhaps also introduce an accent colour for just a few accessories? You could add another shade of green or blue or yellow to pick up the rug. perhaps swap some of your glass accessories for the accent colour? Perhaps just one big accessory on the window sill? Did you try the table the other way round?

• PRO
    Breakfast Bar Stools
    7 years ago

We come in at the end of the project with exciting stylish chairs which can be supplied in 56 colours so you can link in the chair colours with other components in the room - Blinds, curtains, painted walls or a splash back (It is possible to get Glass splashbacks in virtually any colour. We can lend a sample card to be given to the splash back makers so that they colour the splashback to match exactly with the chairs.) I attach a photo showing some Doris P Chairs in Red Leather, complete with a dining table.

The Next photo shows the bar stools with matching splashback in red, which was part of the same project.

I know that you do not have barstools, but I am just demonstrating the idea.

The dining table was made up using heavy weighted bases in a brushed stainless steel finish and a table top which matches the kitchen work tops.

This is a picture of the 30 colours available in the Eco Leather range. We have another 26 colours in the Real Leather range so you have a huge selection to choose from.

We have an App which allows you to make up different chairs, change the bases (chair legs) and change the upholstery colours. Then you can see the finished effect.

Please copy and paste this link into your browser to see our App.

http://www.seatingmyway.com/app/chairs.

I would be happy to discuss your project in more detail if you are interested.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.