redraider373

Labor cost to tile walls above bathtub

redraider373
8 years ago

We are planning to tear out the existing wall tile above our bathtub and install new tiles

It is aprox. 80 sq. ft of area and would like to know what the average labor cost should be

to remove old tile, add hardi-backer board and install new tiles. We already have the 6x6 tiles so just need to find out if our builder is reasonable who has quoted $700 for labor cost ?

Thks

Donna

Comments (30)

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That sounds cheap to me! If I could find a price like that, I wouldn't be doing it myself.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Sounds too cheap to me. I hope this isn't a case of you get what you pay for.

• Related Discussions

Shower over freestanding bathtub - without a curtain. Is this doable?

Q

Comments (3)
    This may be a crazy idea and you may not like it but I think it is worth mentioning: Would you consider having a pole high enough that goes over the window and the door. You could have a shower curtain but would be few inches away from the tub and you could tuck behind the tub and the window when not in use?
    ...See More

Which style of bath tub do you prefer? Free standing or in a deck?

Q

Comments (126)
    You can use side panels or a deck/surround to create what is, in effect, a free standing bath that would work well aesthetically and, optionally, as part of a wetroom-style bathroom. Deep soaking tubs are especially effective for such projects; they have smaller footprint, which affords more room in the shower area, but their greater depth makes them exceptionally comfortable.
    ...See More

awkward bathtub near window

Q

Comments (3)
    Could the builders remove the wood trim around the window and the window sill, tile and seal it, and attach a toughened glass 'door' (for want of a better term) on hinges that covers half the window from the shower side. The hinges would allow you to be able to access the window area easily for cleaning and the glass door would protect the window from any splashes. Being only halfway across the window, the door would not interfere with any ventilation you want from an open window. OR// I know you said you don't like shower curtains, but it depends on how much you want to spend ;). If the shower head is attached to the left hand wall looking at the window, you could just tile further up the walls around that area and install a curved shower curtain rail that shelters the window and the floor around the bath.
    ...See More

Bathroom Design Dilemma!

Q

Comments (3)
    That's one photo gone right :) Curious to see the rest (and the exact measurements). Using the original tile might be dificult as you've removed a wall. I'd also suggest insulating the exterior wall and windows, as it will pay itself back in the future. With special bubble foil and cement board it will not take up too much space (and the exterior wall can still breathe). A bath on the attic floor sounds like a bad idea, or an expensive on at the least. Our little boy preferred showers since the age of two, so don't base your decision on kids. They love those little plastic baths too. (Loads of dutch households don't have a bath.) Cisterns are great for modern bathrooms (but when they fail, it's quite a hassle), so the question is are you creating a somewhat 1920s bathroom or a modern style?
    ...See More
  • redraider373
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought this was a bit high since it works out to $8.75 sq ft for labor alone. We had floor tile labor priced at 3-4$/sq ft so that's why I thought it was high at $700.

Donna

• User
    8 years ago

Way too cheap. And there is zero mention of waterproofing. You're in for a leaky moldy mess unless you put the brakes on and learn about what it takes to do a waterproof wall. And then hire someone that can actually do it. It won't be that ridiculous price, that's for sure.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

I swear I'm not making this up, but I just got off the phone with a guy who told me his neighbor had his shower done for $450.00. Needless to say, that was the price he was looking for from me.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Joseph I'm in your neighborhood and I'd hate to think what kind of job he had done for that price.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Sounds semi reasonable to me but I'm in a cheap part of the country (g). Also, I don't think you're comparing apples to apples when you're comparing the price you paid for floor tile installation.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

Fiffy dolla.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

I recently had a tiling job done on a very small small bathroom. The walls -- like yours -- were about 80 square feet, and the tiled shower floor, shower ceiling, and floor outside the shower totaled about another 33 square feet; I also had two glass tile accent stripes installed on the walls. The tile setter shimmed, installed, and taped the Hardibacker cement board for the walls and sealed it with 2 coats of Hydroban; did the shower bed, slope, and membrane; installed a linear drain and a tiled shower curb; polished all exposed tile edges; poured self-leveling compound for the bathroom floor, and used epoxy grout. I paid for the tiles and the fixtures, and did all the other non-tiling jobs like vanity, electrical, plumbing, wood trim, and painting. The tile guy was a perfectionist and there were many critical cuts, like penetrations in the 18 " X 18" ceiling tiles for two recessed lights with very small trim rings. In my admittedly high cost metro area, the tiling cost -- labor, waterproofing, miscellaneous materials, and epoxy grout -- was about $7000 for an installation that was perhaps no more than 50% larger than the area you are talking about. I could have paid somewhat less (I know because I got three bids from highly rated tile companies), but I went with the one that seemed to be even more perfectionist than I am, and I don't regret it.

Admittedly, my tiling job was much more complex than yours with a lot more picky details, three different size tiles, and a number of tricky cuts for various penetrations, but $700 does not sound reasonable for doing your simpler bathtub tiling job. I think it's possible to have the job done for that price, but I don't think you will end up with a quality job that will look good and last for years. I suggest you get some other estimates and require all of them to provide details on what tilebacker will be used, how it will be made plumb and waterproofed before tiling, how the exposed edges will be addressed, and what kind of grout will be used. I'm thinking about two-three times that quote or even somewhat more would signal a decent installation in what I suspect is your much lower cost area.

• beachem
    8 years ago

I got quoted $30-35/SF just for tiling.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Linda
    8 years ago

Labor dollars are just one of the costs here. Spend less directly on the labor and you'll spend more elsewhere. Sometimes the highest price turns out to be the cheapest when it lasts for decades, not just a few years.

I know a couple guys who would do a nice job tiling a shower at that price point or probably less. Their lines will be straight, the tiles will be flat and the layout will match my request. They will use the backer board I supply and apply RedGard if I insist. But, I will be providing the transportation and the equipment and taking the risk if something goes wrong.

I suggest you remember that

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good

redraider373 thanked Linda
  • PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    8 years ago

"Good, Cheap or Fast," (pick any two.) Location has much to do with it. In SE Texas, I just finished a tub hop, much like yours. It had plexiglass panels that I tore out and mudded walls. I have no idea what was behind it, but waterproofed it with Hydroban, tiled it to the ceiling with an accent band. They were extremely happy and the charge was $600 for two days work.

Had I done this in Houston, it would have been twice that.....

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"I thought this was a bit high since it works out to $8.75 sq ft for labor alone. We had floor tile labor priced at 3-4$/sq ft so that's why I thought it was high at $700."

Donna:

The economies of scale torpedo these types of square foot calculations. In Florida with concrete floors and no uncoupling membrane, I get calls for replacing cracked floor tiles constantly. Generally this costs about $100.00 per tile for 3-5, but 12 tile isn't necessarily $1,200.00. The more tile you have, the less per tile it costs. I've got to drag the same tools and dust protection in to do 3 as I have to do 12 so I have a minimum of overhead to cover no matter what.

I'm probably going to raise my rates though. I really dislike this work. It's dusty, on your knees, and you feel like you've been given a beating when you get home. I'll be 60 in less than a month. Maybe that's it.

• User
    8 years ago

Raider - $8.75 sq ft is high huh ?

Could be , but then you forgot to factor in the " free " tear out and haul away , and the backer board install and taping,

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Also when you own a business, it is not just labor you charge. You need to build in direct costs, the indirect costs, plus a profit margin. So using my artwork as an example.

Let's say I give myself $20/hour for my time drawing. I do a drawing that takes me 5 hours to complete or $100. ($20/hour x 5 hours)

To that, I have to add in my direct costs: The frame, matting, the cost of my paper, pencils, etc. Let's say my direct costs are $50. So now we're up to $150.

Next I have to add in my indirect costs: Things like electricity, driving to a show, standing at a show, printing, internet, telephone, car, studio space, cost of art shows, credit card charges, cost for mailings, etc, etc. Let's say I figure my costs for that work out to $10/hour for indirect costs. So now I have to add that to the cost. $10 x 5 hours = $50. So now my $100 for just labor for the drawing is up to $200.

So now I need to make a profit because I'm a business. I give myself a 1/3 profit for a total selling price of $265.

Now someone coming into my booth many times will ask me how long did that take you to create? I'll say 5 hours and they then do their mental math and figure I'm charging $53/hour for my time, but as I just showed, that isn't the truth at all.

Nor is it the truth with a workman who comes to do a job at your house.

• User
    8 years ago

Bottom line is : do you feel that having your tub surround by this guy is worth $700 ?

We can debate the nuances of "how much should an 80 SF tub surround cost to tile ? " til the cows come home - and still not arrive at a consensus.

• johnspottedone
    5 years ago

I've looked at all these comments and have had mix thoughts... I've been in construction for over 25 yrs and have worked in homes from 200k to 20 million plus. You can't replace experience for a cheap labor price and lack of experience. If your looking for cheap labor, don't be upset with the person who you hired if the results look like crap...be upset with yourself! 100% of the time- you get what you pay for! Do your due diligence and hire a contractor who is a professional and who has references.

Also, for those who commented about their $500 to $700 total bathroom renovations, please post photos, we all would enjoy viewing your bathroom renovations results...

• AJCN
    5 years ago

I have a quote in my hand right now for a re-tiling of tub/shower combo for $7000.00. Ask this contractor if they know what TCNA is.

• PRO
    Bondeko
    5 years ago

I am in Maine and we charge $25 to $30 per square foot.

• HU-999523584
    3 years ago

A good tile guy like me always busy i don't advertise word mouth keep me

• Alejandro Rojas
    2 years ago

Lol...I would love see pucs of that guys work and everybody else's shower tgat was done fir 500$? Lol...average price per sq ft to tile shower 25$ cheapest up to 35$ sq foot...anything less than 2k$ just labor is fishy? You get what you pay for...ppl don't realize that by trying save a buck they risking ruining the bathroom not to mention water damage in future if guy doesn't know how waterproof..especially 2 story house...? Lol...700$ good luck....hope guy giving some warranty...

• Marc Favell
    2 years ago

that's way too cheap I can imagine what the finished product will look like and as the main comment said I need to waterproof behind the tile as well as create a monolithic surface to tile on do not use green board use cement board or foam long-term reliability of the job is more important than price right now! personally depending on the tiles and layout the three walls plus waterproofing would be more of $2,500ish here in Canada to when done right according to National tile Council of North America standards!

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    2 years ago

I have pretty much done away with "Sq. Ft. pricing." Unless it's a BIG square room, ready to tile, I generally just give a "turn key" pricing for the job.

• HU-880394536
    2 years ago

700? Lol...well you know what they say..you get what you pay for..sounds like you looking for day labor workers...you can probably pay that if gjy only showing up to install and walls already hardy backer and waterproofed...n you do grout yourself....professional job well done labor...1800$ and that cheap.

A bathroom with material included to give you better idea..even though there a tub its still charged same rate...complete job eith material you looking 4500 to 5k.n tgat on low end...mybsuggestion is pay a professional something done right that you won't have to demo in future cuz a beginner low bided ....thats a red flag..better spend extra$ n have something done right...not just bout sticking tike on walls..prep work most

• HU-880394536
    2 years ago

Please those that say job done for under 1500$ post pics lol...bathroom walls and floor tile not same rate...lol...no one gonna charge 8$ sq.ft to tike walls..lol..30$ per sq ft labor...takes atjeast day-to-demo..n prep...I seen it all in my 22 yes..trust me not worth shopping around for beginners doing project for that..lol...its nightmare to come on future..mold,leaks ...dry root on ur studs..I can go on and on..5k to 7k complete job..so labor professionally done 2k low end $2500 middle

• millworkman
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hooked on phonics.............................not a good look when you are going to stump for business.

• PRO
    Hanes Tile & Floors
    9 months ago

$125/hr average 20hr project for a shower sometimes more then you divide by the sq ftft... Do the

• Marc Favell
    9 months ago

You get what you pay for first off.... Second to tile a shower area that's considered a wet area so it must be waterproof whether or not use cement board or a foam system really is up to you or the installer based on the price you negotiated normally my flat rate to just tile is $3500 Canadian, materials not included.... So for $600 I would really question the quality of the install you are getting and want to see exactly what they're doing for $600 because that seems too cheap it's just a fly-by-nighter subcontractor that doesn't do tile everyday.

$600 is very cheap

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.