laura_0

Need help with ceiling replastering

laura_0
8 years ago

Help!!

We've moved a stud wall that divides a front bedroom and are ready to re-plaster. The walls needs doing and the ceiling is Artex which we want smoothing off. We've got some cracks in other (original) ceilings and have been advised that if we add more weight to the ceiling it'll probably crack also. We've been told that the best thing to do is to board over the ceilings so the new plaster can be put on that.

We've got Victorian cornice on 3 of the walls and we've been advised that the best way to go would be to remove this so that we can get the best finish on the ceiling and to replace with reproduction cornice.

BUT I really don't want to get rid of the original cornice - even if the new looks right I'm going to know we've ripped out the original! I'm going to look at the cost of getting the 4th wall of cornice to match as it was suggested that we could board the ceiling but leave an inch gap round the cornice so that it still stands out.

Does anyone have any experience of similar? Will it look odd to have the ceiling lower than the cornice? I can't really picture it. Do I just go with the advice - rip off cornice, board and plaster and use repro cornice and save some money?

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.