lisaa007

50 Shades of Gray, TKO version

lisa_a
8 years ago

(disclaimer: I haven't read the book or seen the movie but I think its title describes my kitchen quite well.)

After 7 1/2 yrs of planning and nearly 8 years from that starting point, my kitchen is finished! It went through multiple renditions in that time.

Initially, we planned only a cosmetic update: reface or paint the existing cabinets, replace appliances, replace counters and backsplash. And then (can you guess where I'm going?) I wandered into the Kitchen Forum, began my kitchen educational journey and came to the realization that a face lift would be money poorly spent. There was more wrong with my kitchen than a dated look.

So we waited and planned and saved until we finally began our remodeling journey on April 27th this year. Many of you followed along (buh bye old kitchen! Hello, new kitchen!) and cheered when things went well and offered comfort when the remodel hit a few hiccups, mostly due to our cab makers' snafus on the hutch. We were supposed to finish in 7 1/2 weeks; it was 10 weeks before we were done (not counting the miscellaneous, minor things left to do, including glass for the upper cabinets). I lost 20 lbs in the process. I'm thrilled about the weight loss but I *do not* recommend the method. =)

But the wait, the money and the angst were worth it! I love my new kitchen! Love, love, love it! It functions so well and not only do I have more storage (still have empty space in my cabs) but it's heads and tails more functional than my old kitchen's storage.

Drum roll, please....

I'll post more photos in additional threads so that I can replace the less-than-stellar phone pics with pics taken with my new camera (the photo above was taken with my new camera before the battery died).

I have so many people to thank and I know I'm going to forget someone because the journey here was literally years long. Remodeling does a number on the brain but I'll do my best to remember everyone who helped me along the way.

Without a doubt, rhome410 was the most helpful when I was working on my lay-out (you new people may not know her, she doesn't hang out here as much these days). She not only gave me feedback on ways to improve my lay-out, she provided 3D versions of my kitchen using ChiefArchitect.

My heartfelt thanks also goes to bmorepanic for additional lay-out feedback, gooster and plllog for willingly answering questions and providing photos of their Modern-Aire hoods, beekeeperswife for inspiring the idea to add glass to an upper's side panel, mayflowers and sixkeys who not only answered questions about their Pentalquartz counters but invited me to visit their homes to see their counters in person (lovely kitchens!) ... oh, no, my brain has already drain a blank about the others who helped me plan. So sorry if I've forgotten to include your name.

I can't end this without also thanking all you GWers who cheered me along and commiserated when things went wrong: cpartist, benjesbride, autumn, funkycamper, mayflowers, sjhockeyfan, rebunky, buehl, lavenderlass, blfenton, romy, a2gemini, Jillius, mgmum, Annkh, stephanj, tmy_jax, chelsiyarger, santabarbaratara, beth09, Mama Rachel, jmarino, bmorepanic, mdln, susanlynn2012, bbtrix, desertsteph, amber, oasisowner, anitamo, laughablemoments, sena01, artemis_ma, isable98, Maine Susan, elatsch and aries61. Phew, did I forget anyone? Your support through my remodel was so helpful!

Details and more pics to follow.

Comments (113)

• romy718
    8 years ago

I've been scrolling back & forth for quite some time, with Golden Oreo Thins for sustenance. The first thing I noticed was how the colors of your island & hood compliment each other - just beautiful. If I ever do another kitchen, I'm doing a Modern-Aire hood. And those small appliance drawers. Your storage is amazing.

The dining room - absolutely gorgeous. I love how the cabinet is recessed right into the crown molding. The chocolate hardware, the elegant feet, the plate display - so unique & soooo pretty. Money well spent on the ceiling beams. You could do a whole post on the dining room.

I've always thought that you need a good year on GW before even starting a kitchen. Turns out you need 7 years to really do it right.

Congratulations, Lisa!

lisa_a thanked romy718
  • romy718
    8 years ago

I'd love to see a close-up pic of your hutch backsplash. The hutch - totally worth all that aggravation.

lisa_a thanked romy718
  • Related Discussions

What colour would you paint this kitchen?

Q

Comments (29)
    - sorry to use your space Lucy but can't find a way to "im" Elizabeth re her question. @Elizabeth, in this photo, I hand traced the wall area with the polygon lasso tool, placed that on another layer, selected a color and filled with the bucket; then with the mask still selected, I tuned the color in via the adust menu for hue and saturation. Does that help? :-) feel free to email me at: akawatermusic@gmail.com if you want more specifics.
    ...See More

Very dark living room

Q

Comments (22)
    The curtains and blinds will be blocking much more light than the TV. You can see this from how low the shadow comes on the wall below the ceiling. In the third photo you can see light outside just desperate to get in! If you do away with your Roman blind, substituting roller blinds if you need them, you will allow much more light in. Don't let your curtain overlap the window, particularly at the top, it would definitely be worth investing in the longest curtain rail your bay can accept, then make sure you pull the curtains as far back as they can go. Ideally it would be better with a pole the full width of the room straight across the bay, but this won't work if the TV has to sit in the bay. Personally I would paint all your walls and ceilings white and colour the room with accessories. Or if you like coloured walls go for something which has connotations of daylight, perhaps pale blue, pale yellow. It looks as though the wall behind the sofa is grey at the moment and it isn't adding any joy to the room. You can add cushions (or cover the ones on the sofa), in pastel blues/pinks/yellows and this will add the feeling of a summer's day to the room, the colour of your curtains is just right for this. If you can I would change your picture for something the same size but in pastel colours and hang it lower so that it catches the eye as something bright and pretty. At the moment it is sitting in shadow. And one last thought - do you really need all the pieces of your suite in this room? There isn't a law which says you have to keep a suite together - if you don't have room for it all.
    ...See More

I know this CAN be a fabulous room ... I just lost my way a little

Q

Comments (660)
    So funny! I'm planning to paint the bannister at the new house (TNH) black and am veering towards painting the treads and risers black too... I've been searching for images of black staircases on Houzz and putting them in my entrance hall ideabook. They are few and far between. In your case, I think, with your white walls, maybe the stairs white and the bannister black? (Assuming the white walls continue up the stair walls enabling the b/w contrast.) You've already put black firmly into the equation, adding some more may give more reason for the black rad cab. In my case, there is a very off-centre radiator that could so very easily have been directly opposite the front door in TNH which is rather annoying as it stuffs up the focal point. We are leaving here with every radiator covered with a cabinet - and going to TNH that has loads of radiators ...but no cabinets! Yes, the work ahead is daunting - especially since the area of Ireland we're going to is very basic and not full of DIY resources, etc. I keep thinking I'll paint TNH white - to make things simpler(!) But try as I may colour keeps wandering through my mind! Lovely to be in touch again!
    ...See More

What colour would you paint these cabinets?

Q

Comments (40)
    Hi Cesca, as your kitchen is quite dark I would go for white cupboards and natural wood worktops, something like your table and chairs. This I would live without changing as I think they looks very nice. I would move the table 50cm from the kitchen cabinets and put some nice carpet just under the table and the chairs to make the space warmer and more cozy. I would paint the walls with light green and add some colourful details. White ir light grey curtains would also make your kitchen look special. If one day you decide to change the floor go for natural wood.
    ...See More
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks, Romy! I should have included you in my thanks since you answered my questions abut cutting boards. I really do appreciate your help!

Love your choice of sustenance. =)

I love my DR hutch, too. I've wanted a place to display my antique plates for so long and now I have one.

Here's a closer shot of my kitchen hutch backsplash. Let me know if you want me to get in even closer.

We originally were going to use a beadboard back and I'm so glad we didn't. I just love the touch of glam that this tile adds.

This was my inspiration photo.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

My friend and neighbor helped me with the display. Actually, she pretty much did it all after I told her what things I wanted to display and then "shopped" around my home for more things to add. But it was my bright idea to add the wine corks and dried gourds to the antique Ball jars (these belonged to my grandma). DH had recently teased me about why I was saving all the wine corks. I relished showing him my reason why. =)

I stewed about that hutch so much, even after the 4th install. Now I'm over it. So much went so very right with my kitchen and I'd rather focus on all of that instead.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Huh, apparently I forgot this view of my "before" kitchen.

The MW was behind the doors above the oven.

Compare the above with the "after."

• beth09
    8 years ago

Lisa, if you wouldn't mind, when you have time could you please take a close up of a cabinet door so I can see the detail? I would really appreciate it!

I bet you do pet your counters. lol I would too. That's one thing I really look forward to, is new/different counters. Whether it's here or somewhere else.

So glad you decided on the hutch BS, I really think it does add a sophisticated touch of glam. Perfect. ;)

And I am really glad you did not ditch the DR ceiling. Coffered ceilings add SO much to a room. I have admired (read lusted) them for a while now, but my ceilings are only 8 feet. To put an appreciable beam depth would close in my rooms I think. I really think one must have at least 8 1/2 or more ceilings to pull it off well. Maybe if we move....

Very clever/sneaky about the cutting board and your men. lol I love it!

And in looking through your pics again,. I notice your house has really nice light. I am envious. This house does not, and is a main reason I would consider moving. I miss that....

Enjoy!

lisa_a thanked beth09
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll post a close-up pic of a cap door later today for you, beth.

I agree, I think adding box beams to a room with 8' ceilings would really close it in. When the finish carpenter first put the beams up, I did a little freak out because, even though we have 9' ceilings and the beams are only 6" deep, I suddenly felt like the ceiling was much lower than 8'6". I was really surprised at my reaction. It was especially odd because I'm short and everyone else - all taller than me, of course - didn't have that response. They thought I was nuts. Well, ok, I am, but still, did they have to say it? lol Anyhoo, the effect was temporary but I doubt I'd feel that way if our ceilings were only 8'.

Maybe you could get away with shallow box beams in an 8' ceiling.

Park Hill House · More Info

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here you go, Beth! HTH!

At one time, I knew what the edge detail was called but I'd have to go digging through emails of nearly 3 yrs ago (provided I saved the one I need) to find that for you. But hopefully the pics will be enough for you to show someone if you want to do the same type of door.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Wonderful kitchen! So much storage, great details...and very pretty space :)

lisa_a thanked Lavender Lass
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, LL!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

Oh, I agree that the appliance drawer is brilliant! and I think the Bianco Romano is absolutely yummy with the island color. Plus all the storage -- suberb job!

lisa_a thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, raee_gw!

• rhome410
    8 years ago

That set of pics, showing across the island to the oven wall is making me comment again... It says and shows so much. Such a rich and beautiful transformation.

--And I missed saying before how 'elegante' to tuck that beautiful walnut cutting board in like you did. It's like wearing an expensive camisole (not that I'd know)... You know it's there, and it feels good to know you invested in beauty and quality and will get your wear out of it...and just that teaser edge peeks out. :-)

lisa_a thanked rhome410
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's so easy for me to forget how things were until I see "before" next to an "after." And then, wow, it hits home just how great my "after" really is! I wish I had done more of that in my reveal. Maybe when the sun comes out and I can get better photos taken, I'll do that for Round 2.

• beth09
    8 years ago

Lisa, thank you so much for the pics. I really appreciate it. They look very similar to a pic I had saved of a door I like only it was painted. But this is very close, I like! And of course the wood is gorgeous. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion on the shallow beams. I have seen those, but for me, they fall flat. (ha! no pun intended, lol) The deep ones are what make me swoon, so it's all or nothing. We shall see. And that is funny you had that reaction when you are the short one. Go figure. If nothing else, I shall live vicariously through your DR. :)

Sorry I was so long in getting back, son #3 had a hernia surgery today and now I am playing nurse. Kinda nice to be babying my baby, even if he is 25.....

lisa_a thanked beth09
  • diytam
    8 years ago

Looks great! Do you have any comments on cooking in the advantium oven?

lisa_a thanked diytam
  • Shelley Graham
    8 years ago

So many fabulous things to rave about! My faves are the walnut cutting board (yummy!) and the glass cabinet, but the whole thing is so very special. Kudos on a job magnificently done!

lisa_a thanked Shelley Graham
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

You're welcome, Beth! DH and I knew we wanted a fairly simple door profile but we didn't want to do a plain Shaker door for a QSO cabs. That would have leaned too far to Craftsman for the look we were going for. When we saw this door at the cab maker's, we knew we'd found exactly what we were looking for.

Sorry to hear about your son's surgery but hoo boy, do I hear you on how nice it it to baby our grown sons (mine are 22 and 24 yrs old).

diytam, I'm ashamed to say that as yet we've only used the MW part of the Advantium. We finished about 13 wks ago but due to surgery, injury and illness (3 things in 13 weeks, good grief, I deserve a break!), I've only had 4 good weeks to unpack my kitchen and figure out how to use my new toys. I'll try to remember to report back once we've used the speed oven features.

ssg7741, I love those things, too! I especially love how my glass cab next to my window helps my kitchen look bright and open.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

Wow! I love how it came out. I love the stain/paint look. The color is so pretty. And you have tons of storage! You must be so excited. Love the floor too... Looks very much like what I put in my kitchen :) you did a really great job pulling it all together. Enjoy!!

lisa_a thanked Lily Spider
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Lily Spider! (love your screen name)

The gray cabs are actually stain, not paint, but the wood grain is hard to see in my photos. I'll take a close-up of a door or drawer face and post it later.

I love how good it looks and how well it functions! My memories of my old dysfunctional kitchen are fading. =)

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

As promised, here's a close-up of my blue-gray stained cherry cabs.

From a distance, our opaque stained cabinets can be mistaken for painted cabs but when you look more closely, you'll soon realize that you can still see the wood grain.

When opaque stain is applied more heavily (as they accidentally did on hutch #2), it looks very much like a painted finish, even up close. That's one reason why they had a heckuva time getting the hutch top to match the hutch base. Not only did they need to get the color to match, they had to get the application to match.

Now you know why one of the two things I'd do differently (posted above) is "I'd absolutely insist (and then some!) that the cab company spray
    the island, hutch base and hutch top at the same time. Opaque stains are
    tricky and when hand mixed as our cab company does (which we didn't
    know until it was too late), getting pieces sprayed at different times
    to match is even more difficult."

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

Really really pretty! And I love your handles!

lisa_a thanked Lily Spider
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Lily Spider!

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    8 years ago

What an amazing transformation - great job!

lisa_a thanked Nandina Home & Design
  • User
    8 years ago

Lisa, I just emailed you. I changed my email last month and forgot to check my old email. So sorry!

lisa_a thanked User
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That would explain why you were radio silent, mayflowers. Off to check my email.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    8 years ago

I'm very late to comment but I just wanted to add to the praise. @lisa_a, you helped me figure out what to do with my tiny galley kitchen a while back, and I'm so grateful for all your generous help to me and others who post here. So it's especially nice to see that you have the beautiful, functional kitchen - and home - that you deserve! Congratulations on designing such an amazingly lovely and thoughtful space and hope you're enjoying every minute now that it's done!

lisa_a thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Very nice, lisa_a! Excellent storage ideas--I especially like the china storage and the pull-out cutting board. Well worth the wait. ;)

lisa_a thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, smalloldhouse (I remember helping you with your lay-out!) and mama goose!

I am enjoying the kitchen very much. Still can't quite believe that it's ours. There were times when I wondered if it ever was going to happen. =)

• Katrina Tate
    8 years ago

What a transformation! I love how everything has it's place. Fantastic storage ideas. You did an amazing job!!

lisa_a thanked Katrina Tate
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Katrina!

diytam, we used the speed cook feature on our Advantium tonight. It makes fabulous baked potatoes in about the same amount of time that it took to bake them in our old MW (circa '89). They come out with crispy skins (rubbed them with olive oil and Kosher salt) and fluffy insides and *hot*! Next time I'm going to cook them with time to spare so that they cool off enough for us to eat them without burning our mouths.

• diytam
    8 years ago

Mmmm, love baked potatoes! Perfect timing. I could use any input I can get :) I was just out looking at ovens again this afternoon. Really should have taken a nap after that. Two big ones, one big /one small combo micro convection, steam, 27", 30", 50 different brands. I know what I would like but it doesn't seem to be made yet.

lisa_a thanked diytam
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oops, sorry, didn't see that there was a new post on this thread.

I went through much the same go-round when trying to decide what set-up to buy. Initially, I was set on buying double ovens, a convection MW, and a warming drawer. Then I started trying to figure out what height to put the ovens. If I put the lower one at a comfortable height, the upper one would be too high for me to access without ricking burning the heck out of my arms (I'm 5'3"). If I put the upper one low enough for easier access, the lower one was, essentially, on the floor.

I can relate to your sentiment, " I know what I would like but it doesn't seem to be made yet." What I really wanted was an oven and a half. They have them in Europe, apparently, but not here.

Anyhoo, I scratched the plan for double ovens.

Then I learned about Advantium ovens and thought, "hey, this might be just the thing to give me 2 ovens without the issues of height I'd have with double ovens."

Then, 2 summers ago, our 19 yr old, 27" oven died. Too old to be repaired and the cab was too small to fit a 30" oven, which is what we wanted to buy when we remodeled. That's when we bought the toaster oven, which saw us through until we remodeled.

I ditched my plans to get a warming drawer soon as I realized that the toaster oven had a "warm" function. Works quite well, too, plenty good enough for our needs.

I went from planning for 2 full size ovens, a convection MW, and a warming drawer to getting 1 full size oven, one speed oven and a toaster oven. I'm quite happy with this set-up, too. I have plenty of oven space for our needs and more storage than I would have with my initial plan.

I did consider steam ovens but in the end, I decided to stick with an Advantium.

Give yourself time to figure out your needs and investigate the options. That, IME, will help you figure out what to buy. Good luck!

• bbtrix
    8 years ago

Lisa, Can't believe I missed your long awaited reveal while I vacationed in NOLA! Glad I took time to catch up on posts!

One.word. GORGEOUS! It is a stunning transformation. I'm so happy for you! It's been fun watching your journey and now to see the fruits of all your planning. Enjoy your beautiful space - you so deserve it!

lisa_a thanked bbtrix
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, bbtrix! We love it! I still can't believe we finally have a new kitchen. Took us long enough. =)

Did you ever do a reveal of your kitchen? I looked for your reveal thread today and couldn't find it. I recognized your stages 45 sink pics but I can't remember if you only posted teasers and not the full reveal.

• bbtrix
    8 years ago

Lisa, I've posted lots of pictures throughout the last year but not a reveal yet cuz we aren't done! That is quite often the case with DIY. My DH has lots of interests and his former occupation (contractor) interests him little these days. We've done a lot of travel in this past year, had a grandson born in January, raising a rambunctious lab, and I broke my hand early summer which put me out of commission. So, long story short and plenty of excuses later, I still need a backsplash, crown, doors painted, painting and trim finished, new DR furniture and rugs. Sigh. DH is going to paint while I hit the road again in November. It's time I pick a backsplash so I can complete this project!

lisa_a thanked bbtrix
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'd forgotten you were DIYing it. My hat off to you. I'd never be that brave.

Sorry to hear about your hand, especially because you've (hah!) got your hands full. Congrats on the grandbaby!

I'll continue to look forward to your reveal!

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    8 years ago

I'm just sitting here, oooohhhhh ing and aaaaaaahhh ing and laugh ing. And drinking espresso while chocolate ing my keyboard.

Keep in mind that 50 Shades isn't something you can do every single day, every time you walk into your kitchen, nor if there are people around. The kitchen lets you ... um ... feel satisfaction with a job well done (got'cha there, didn't I?) every single time you look at it and pet the counter. No one is going to smirk when your eyes roll back in your head as you slide those beautiful drawers out, or (this isn't going well) just plain look out the window. I'm stopping now.

Anyway, it's really impressive. Yours is one of the kitchens that really highlights the contributions that good planning and good help (yeah, GW!) can create. I know I look at my perpetually in-progress kitchen and know each idea I got was influenced by you all who take the time to post such detail.

I love love love your kitchen. Congrats.

(Nice tootsies. Just need a few rings and we'll be tootsie sisters!)

lisa_a thanked CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lol, Christine! I could do my best (and that's not saying much, I didn't miss my calling as an actor) Meg Ryan impression of the cafe scene in When Harry Met Sally.

Rings for toes, check. I'll make sure I do that for my next tootsie shot.

Thank you!

8 years ago

That gave new cultural meaning to "I'll have what she's having..."

• diytam
    8 years ago

--I can relate to your sentiment, " I know what I would like but it doesn't seem to be made yet." What I really wanted was an oven and a half.-- Ha Ha, to funny! That is exactly what I want!! I'm not understanding why they have them in the ranges with the half oven on top but not in a wall unit! Very annoying. We like the same stuff, both 5'3", both in WA (me-Puyallup), don't like burned arms (looked at french door oven). Hmmm, twilight zone of remodels? ;)

lisa_a thanked diytam
    8 years ago

Commercial Convection ovens have French doors. They're like dragons when you open the door.

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

Lisa- so glad you posted your amazing kitchen!

Gosh- maybe I can pull off a consulting gig in the PNW so I can see your kitchen!

I love so many things about your kitchen - too many to name them all! Your appliance drawers with the drop sides are brilliant. I have one without the dropped sides and wish I had done that.

Love your granite and all of your storage. One comment on your dish drawer - I would recommend balancing the weight. It looks like your heavy items are all on one side. I had a failed drawer, probably not from an imbalance but I do balance the weight to avoid undo stress.

Enjoy your kitchen. It was a long journey and fun to follow.

lisa_a thanked a2gemini
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good tip, a2, thanks. I do have heavy duty guides and thicker drawer bottoms on this drawer but I can play with the contents to see if I can figure a better balance.

diytam, I'm in Oregon, Portland Metro to be exact, but I'm enough of a PNWer to know how to pronounce Puyallup. And spell it without looking it up. =)

I think Bosch may be coming out with French door ovens. Have you seen these yet?

• Sierra Fairy
    8 years ago

And thank YOU for starting this thread! Here we are in 2016 and now I am agonizing over whether to get a 30" or 27" wall oven and you brought up many points I hadn't thought of. Maybe 27" is fine in my case.

lisa_a thanked Sierra Fairy
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You're welcome, Sierra Fairy, but I'm not sure how sharing my kitchen helped you decide to go with a 27" oven. We have a 30" oven. Glad I could help, all the same! =)

• Sierra Fairy
    8 years ago

Well, I think it was the other responses to your posting that helped me as well as yours... but actually we have now bought a 30" Viking wall oven and 36" Viking rangetop!!! OMG, hopefully my marriage will survive all of this!

lisa_a thanked Sierra Fairy
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Wow... I missed this reveal the first time round. Simply lovely & well organized!

lisa_a thanked artemis_ma
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fun, fun, fun, Sierra Fairy! We also did a 36" cook top (went from gas to induction, love it) and a 30" oven and speed oven (plus the toaster oven that was our only oven for 2 years after our old oven died). It's a great set-up. You'll love it.

Thank you, artemis_ma! I still can't believe it's my kitchen. Love everything about it, absolutely no regrets.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    8 years ago

Very nice, it really turned out well. You obviously thought long and hard and really got it just the way you needed.

My only questions-

Do you find you use the walnut pull-out cutting board? I'd love to do that but wonder if I could get my husband used to using it?

Was it hard to get used to dish drawers?

Annette

lisa_a thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You obviously thought long and hard and really got it just the way you needed.

Considering that I started planning the remodel 7 1/2 yrs before we started, yeah, you could say I thought long and hard. ;-)

It was hard to wait but on the other hand, since the plan evolved over time, it was definitely worth waiting for.

I wasn't going to include a pull-out cutting board - I hated going to use it and finding it filthy because DH and DS2 had forgotten to clean it - but DH and DS2 raised a ruckus when I told them my decision. So I added one back in. But then I took my sweet, sweet time treating it with food grade mineral oil - and they knew I'd raise holy hell if they used it before I treated it - so they got into the habit of using the plastic cutting boards that I can throw in the DW. Yay! So all the fuss about the cutting board and it's yet to be used. =)

DH wasn't so sure about dishes in drawers at first but he warmed to the idea during the planning stages. He loves having them here now, as does DS2 (who, at 5'11" is the tallest in the family). In fact, DH will show people that we keep the dishes in a drawer. I love it but I knew I would. So, no, it wasn't hard to get used to my dishes in a drawer in the least.

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.