emmelinewe

Houzz Advent Calendar - December 5: Win a print from Future and Found!

Emmeline Westin
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Christmas is a time to be swept away to somewhere magical, and more often than not, cities across the world get well and truly into the spirit with lights and decorations strung across every street (or boulevard)! So, on the 5th day of our Advent Calendar, Future and Found are giving away this lovely Paris print.

All we need you to do to enter is tell us this - do you spend your Christmas in the city or the countryside? Whether it’s the dazzling lights of the city, or a cosy fireside Christmas, comment below and tell us why! The competition will run until December 24th.

See terms of conditions here.

Comments (121)

• Sasha R
    8 years ago

I spend my Christmas at home... more town than city!

• S L
    8 years ago

All year in the Country

• ramonuska
    8 years ago

In the city with my family - our home - our joys and memories -this is all what matters on Christmas

• Liz Conway
    8 years ago

City with family

• charly_lizzy
    8 years ago

I don't really mind where I am for Christmas as long it is with my family and my dog!

• Wendy P
    8 years ago

Country Christmasses with my large family. We all move in to my sister's large house on Christmas Eve and reappear the day after Boxing Day. We dress up in all our finery and celebrate in style. No slobbing about in trackie bottoms watching ropey films; well not until we get back home, exhausted and fat!

• Kittihawke
    8 years ago
    At home in Dublin's fair city, of course.
  • susan_whitw
    8 years ago
    In our house, which is in a village by a lake, so I guess countryside!
  • varga_emese
    8 years ago

city (unfortunately)

• abigailbusy
    8 years ago
    I love spending Christmas in London. I love the lights, the smells and all the hustle and bustle. London is transformed into a magical wonderland over Christmas. The first thing I do on Christmas morning is start up the fire then go for a cold winters walk or jog around the park and take in all the calmness and tranquility before the family take over the house.

Every odd year I spend Christmas by the beach, it's a great contrast but equally festive. Christmas is by far my favourite time of the year!
  • phudge
    8 years ago

Always where we live , by the sea. It would not be the same to not see the sea on Christmas day!

• cornishdee
    8 years ago

I work in a hospital so often spend Christmas day or night at work. If I am lucky enough to get the day off I try to go for a Christmas run in the morning and a family walk on the beach in the afternoon.

• pinklark
    8 years ago

I find cities a little sad at Christmas. So much is closed and you feel sorry for the people who have to work there. But they're great for the build-up and the post- Christmas sales!

• Sharan Brom
    8 years ago

Home is in Pembrokeshire so Chritmas day must include a brisk walk on the beach with all the family. Can't wait to all be together!

• Suzanne Burnell
    8 years ago
    The country for family Christmas and city for New Year's Eve with friends.
  • jude999
    8 years ago

Spend Christmas in the suburbs of a fairly large northern town. The family come to us and it's great to be together, although it would be nice to spend the festive season in Paris one year...

• silyab53
    8 years ago

As I used to fly I've spent Christmas all over the world. I've taken my own decorations to many countries including most in West Africa, where the hotel staff have been amused, baffled or simply curious about what we Brits put up in our homes and what on earth Christmas Crackers are all about. So, my unhealthy obsession with tree decorations (150-ish ranging from the sublime (amazing baubles) to the most ridiculous (pink flamingos) have been dragged around the Globe. Oh for Christmas pudding in Lagos, Robertsfield or Freetown............... those were the days!

Now, a retiree, I just drool over the Anthropologie Xmas decs, hoping there'll be some left at sale time. Xmas is wherever anyone invites me, and I always take a lovely tree decoration to my hosts.

• bombel1972
    8 years ago

growing up, i lived in a city, and we'd take turns going to family's house (in country) and my parents'. now, i am in the country, and enjoy my log burner.

• Shelly Anne
    8 years ago

I live in the country. There are obviously lots of advantages. In the spring/summer it's beautiful. On the rare occasions we get snow it's breathtaking beautiful and storms are fascinating and dramatic (and scary). There are downsides though. We have been snowed in, flooded out and watch the trees across the lane with bated breath in strong winds. And nobody gets to see our Christmas lights apart from visiting family but when we're cosy and warm in our little home I'm as happy as I can be. In my photo you can just spy our property through the gap in the hedge taken during the last major snowfall

• sarkie
    8 years ago

Used to be a countryside, but last year we figured out we can stay in the City, which is then dead, we don't have to deal with broken trains and long delays and cooking the turkey isn't as hard as we were told!

• Pauline Giroux
    8 years ago
    Christmas will be in my hometown of Lyon in the Rhone Valley, with my whole family. Being based in Leeds I only go home a few times a year so I can't wait!
  • Jan Johnson
    8 years ago

I used to work in the city and at Christmas was just wonderful. i worked through the holidays too. Now much older i go to the country where it is haymaking and all the joys of farming. New Zealand of course. and Lamb for dinner, not turkey. goodness nooo.

• Rach Lp
    8 years ago
    Christmas is all about where your heart is- for me, home and family every time!! Home is a small town and our day starts early, stood outside as the local brass band plays carols, then inside for breakfast by the roaring fire- bliss!
  • chiara8123
    8 years ago
    Christmas at home in the city with so many events for adults and children
  • asalvona
    8 years ago
    This year it'll be in a lodge, temporarily living in a small flat so couldn't fit all family in. With another two grandchildren on the way, it might be the last time I will be with both my adult children, so it'll be a special time.
  • Helen Sweeney
    8 years ago

We will be at home this Christmas. We live in a small city ( really more like a big town!!) It is not far to the local beaches and my parents are in the country about 30 minutes away so we have a little of everything! Just looking forward to time off work and enjoy the magic with my husband and my 2 little people.

• pulcinetto
    8 years ago

No better place than home with your family to spend Christmas time so I will be in a small city in Italy

• Simone
    8 years ago

I have the best of both, live in the country but can be in the city in 10 minutes. I love both.

• teenytinyhouse
    8 years ago

Split the difference: we're in the suburbs! Walk in the country in the morning, and then back to the house for presents and mince pies (and a pot of tea!)

• Hugh Wright
    8 years ago

In the country, to spend time back with the family. Also because of the higher chance of a white Christmas and lovely countryside walks.

• Leila Benhamida
    8 years ago

In the countryside, more relax and enjoy it more with my children

• Sandi
    8 years ago

Home is in the country , so that's where Christmas will be celebrated....first church, then family.

• User
    8 years ago

Wherever my family and friends are is where Christmas is best, so the countryside this year, at home! Bliss......

• Charlotte
    8 years ago

Wherever family is which changes all the time - this year a mix of city and country, win win!

• marianne_hayton
    8 years ago

If I had a choice I think it would have to be the country , no crowds or noise ,unless you want it . Then you drive into town,me I love the walk around our small village for that one time of year ,there are no strangers just friends,

• Clio Bee
    8 years ago
    In the city- down to the beach in the morning
  • arzuince
    8 years ago
    At home with my little family in my home, not travelled hundreds of miles to do Christmas their way. A rural village not far from a city. And no turkey, it's lamb for us this year as we prefer it!
  • Vicky Jarvis
    8 years ago
    Do you know, as long as my family is around me I really don't care, they are all I need.
  • Graham Parfitt
    8 years ago
    By the sea, a salty breeze and big big skies
  • bruket
    8 years ago

This year I am celebrating Christmas on an island in the Baltic Sea. Where I am sitting at the moment I can hear and see the waves licking the beach. It is very peaceful and beautiful. I am so lucky!

• Sarah Williams
    8 years ago

The city. Parents house. Xx

• Gil Nathaniel
    8 years ago

In the city most years but I'm spending it in the countryside this year - I can't wait!

• Valerie
    8 years ago

at home with my family - which currently happens to be in a big city

• Zoe
    8 years ago

In the countryside! But close enough to civilisation to keep me sane :)

• PRO
    Urban Grain
    8 years ago

This year will be both - driving up to the Lakes tomorrow to spend the evening with my boyfriend's family and then back to the city before lunch on Christmas day to drop his boys with their mum... then it's just the two of us for the rest of the day... perfect !

• Micheala Yelland
    8 years ago

cycle ride in peaks country

• PRO
    Simply DeClutter Professional Organiser
    8 years ago

Gorgeous Print

• paddyart
    8 years ago

The City. In any city with lots of skyscrapers, lots of skyline, the moon seems bigger than it is.

• Kel
    8 years ago
    A country Christmas with my family. Nothing beats a bracing country walk, with a side visit into the village, to view all the festive house light displays!
  • Tom Flanagan
    8 years ago

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the comments and input, it was great to see so many of you get involved! The competition is now closed, and any winners should have received an email from us confirming their prize so get checking.

Happy New Year and here's to the next one!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.