rhill176

Views, Fireplace and TV layout help !

rhill176
8 years ago

Hi - we are shortly to start renovating a French barn. Planning approved and general room layouts sorted but as we get into the detail we have a dilemma about how to orientate the fireplace and TV in the lounge so that we make the most of feature windows onto a terrace with nice views, a wood burning stove/fireplace, plus have the practical need of a TV somewhere that doesn't become a huge focal point (but as it's a large room it will need to be quite big and fit into the contemporary/alpine design we're aiming for).

We have considered wall mounted across the corner to the right of the plan, or perhaps moving the fire place to that corner and putting a nice contemporary TV on a low stand in front of the windows. (but then may look poor from outside). We also have some restrictions on fireplace siting due to roof height which is why currently it is set within the room and probably would be a contemporary globe free hanging design or similar.

I appreciate my plan doesn't give a great deal of the perspective but hope the external 3D image may help get an understanding (note that the vertical 'slot' windows on the 3D image are not quite right, actually the grouping would be two close to the front and three further back with the gap in between being the wall that forms that corner of the room on the plan. (not three at the front and two at the back as shown, the plan is the correct one)

We're really struggling with this and need to decide on wiring/flue layouts fairly soon. Would welcome any opinions, ideas etc. The last photo is the view out of the windows (which I'm hoping I can make into frameless sliding glass door or sliding folding doors, definitely don't want to lose the view behind a TV but perhaps we an accommodate all three!)

Many thanks for your help.

Richard......

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.