mike_bainbridge

Need help with my open plan extension

Mike Bainbridge
8 years ago

Hi, I am in the process of planning the layout for a (single storey rear) extension, which I would like to be quite modern and at least mostly open plan. I'm having loads of problems trying to decide on a layout which will work though and need some help.

This is the current plan with the back of the house being at the top of the picture

We have been told we can extend by around 3.5m. As part of this I would like 4 zones. A kitchen, a dining area - which I would like to be adjacent to the kitchen and which i think would work best next to the bi-fold doors, a 'relaxing area' - which would have a 2 seater chair and possibly tv and a childrens play area / family area. I would also like to create a utility room. The main problems I'm having seem to be around foot traffic flow and also separating the childrens play area so its not just a large area for toys to be dumped. We have been told that there needs to be a pillar which would be in the corner of the existing kitchen and dining room and which you can see on some of the options.

These are the options I've considered and why I think each has a problem.

Option A

With this (Option A), I think the main route in to the rest of the house would be through the kitchen which I'm told is not a good idea.

Option B (pic only shows existing kitchen, dining + extension)

With this, I think foot traffio would cut across the play area (bottom left) and that area might also become a dumping ground if not properly separated. Maybe half walls on one side?

Option C (pic only shows existing kitchen, dining + extension)

The main problem with this is that the play area (bottom right) would be cut off and probably wouldn't get used. Also we couldn't keep an eye on the children as easily.

Would really appreciate thoughts on these options (what would/wouldn't work) or any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.