mmoloney120872

Kitchen design

Mairead Moloney
8 years ago
Any comments on the lay out? Will def going for light quartz top. I would love a breakfast pantry, just wondered if they practical, many thanks

Comments (50)

• PRO
    Tulip
    8 years ago

Hi Mairead,

We're just trying to work out where the blue coloured units are based, dare we say it's an island?

Pantries are hugely practical and great way of using a space, providing it allows you enough worktop space?

The space from the pictures looks large, so you would have plenty of options to make sure you're able to include everything you wish (budget providing obviously)

Regards,

SA Designs

• PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago

hi MM, all looks good. I personally find more pull out drawers useful and easier to access - so for example under the ovens and the cabinet to the right of ovens could be drawers, similarly replacing the two cabinets either side of hob to two large sets of pullout drawers meeting under the hob might work well and would enable you to access drawers easier while stirring a white sauce etc.

...breakfast pantry's can be a great addition if designed to be near where you eat breakfast! remember if you are adding toasters in there that they need to be on a roll out shelf though !

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Many thanks Sa design's & One Plan for your fab advice. I agree prefer drawers under the oven. I'm not too sure what you meant about the large pull out doors beside the oven(it's prob me being a bit daft sorry not being able to visualise. I'm planning a tall pull out bedside the fridge & a laundry cupboard on the other side. I'm open to any of your professionals suggestions as your vision is far better than mine thanks again Mairead
  • Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes SA sorry planning a different coloured island also, thanks
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Mairead,

I like the idea of a full sized larder or pantry.. It free's up so much cabinet space. You can then decide if you want overhead cabinets at all.. You may favour shelving or house the cutlery and crockery in it's own full height cabinet or dresser...

The other thing that's really good are pullout slimline full height larders.. you could have both and looks like you have next to the fridge there... With the island- if you're having large pan drawers consider too a place to house the bin.. You could have an opening in the island to throw waste with one of those cabinets housing a smaller 50cm bin - Think about how you cook as this may well give you further ideas about placement of things.. : ))

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Fantastic advice AJ interior's, I am so grateful that you have all taken the time to offer such lengthy brilliant advice!! Kindest regards Mairead
  • Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm sorry I being very needy today! Just a thought do you think the two cupboards by the side of the ovens (near window) would be better to be replaced by open shelving, feel it may add more modern touch? Thank you again
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Mairead,

Most Welcome :)) Yes I think that could be very nice.. I do personally love a shelf or two and can be a nice way to display some favourite items.. :))

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Fantastic thank you AJ! I have to agree with you also, thanks again
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Lovely Mairead,

I'm just looking for a photo to give you an idea.. : ))

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Aw thanks AJ, I'm loving all you fab houzzers, you are all so kind. Feels like my own personal designer service:)))
  • PRO
    Tulip
    8 years ago

Another thought Mairead,

Have you looked at swapping the position of the oven and pantry/larder?

We would keep the drawers beneath the same but position the oven above with its top cupboards, add another 300mm width full unit to it's right (similar to the two either side of the fridge/freezer), then add the pantry/larder and run out with shelving as discussed above (nice idea).

Your lines both vertically and horizontally will run better.... You'll also notice that you'll manage to remove that half cupboard in the corner of the units.

Regards,

SA Designs

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    That's genius idea SA it looks so much better thank you very much!
  • Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Love the pics of shelving AJ very pretty!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Thank you Mairead :))

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Promise one last mithering question! Where do you think a wine rack would be best placed. Was thinking of either above fridge or somewhere in the island?? So pleased with how the kitchen plan has progressed:))) Mairead
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Mairead,

Would you perhaps have room on the island for a small wine fridge ? For reds you could have a rack over the fridge/freezer or create a slim single row of double height slots on one side of the fridge/freezer :))

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you AJ great idea, we are red lovers in our house so either of your suggestions would be fab, thanks again:))
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Most Welcome Mairead :))

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your input, I've drawn a new stretch of the new proposed ideas & sent them to kitchen fitter, thanks again:)))
  • PRO
    Kitchen Republic
    8 years ago

I'm really sorry Mairead but I think it looks awful. By the looks of it you've got an incredible space to play with, the sort of space many would die for. So to see it designed with such a basic 'cookie cutter' layout is disappointing. It looks like space and gaps have been filled with units that fit, rather than real thought behind usability and design. You can create so much more in a space like that which is not only visually stunning but also most importantly functional. I really don't mean to offend if you've designed it yourself but you have such a fantastic opportunity to create something outstanding which is stunning for years to come. It's a shame to pass that by. Sorry

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Kitchen republic for your honesty, we've had 3/4 companies come & design & they have all come up with similar designs. Think it's because I requested hob on island, integrated oven & breakfast pantry. It has left options a little limited. This particular fitter has been in the kitchen industry for long time & has a great reputation; hence the dated software in the imagery. Do you have any suggestions which would enhance the room. Thanks Mairead
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Mairead,

kitchen republic have a good point.. In that you may be able to come up with something that really enhances the space you have that fits how you want to cook and entertain. For example you could situate a range in the island and have both cooking elements in the one space. So it means you could face your guests perhaps?

Keeping the two cooking elements together again give you more freedom. It may also mean that you could take away some of the run of cabinetry for sleeker option. Overhead extraction and lighting for the island for example... :))

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you, I'm a little confused now how the bank of units at back can be changed. I've asked 3/4 kitchen designers to come up with the ideas to enhance the space (as they are the professionals with an eye for detail) we are planning on putting on the island so it would be easier to face people when cooking. I'm very open to any new suggestions thank you
  • Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Also I have asked for integrated hood in ceiling & three drop down lights over the island, thanks again
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago
    Which of the companies who have designed so far do you think you'll end up buying from ? As my suggestion would be to book some 1to1 design time with the company who you'll buy from and spend time tweaking it to get it just right.

If you still aren't sure who you'd like to buy from, maybe consider getting an independent kitchen designer who only sells design ( like us ) onboard to work through all the options with you - then ask as many companies as you like to price the job and compare like for like ?

There are many options in a room this size and yes the initial design is good as I said earlier - but it's not the only option.

If this is your forever ( or at least 10 year ) home it's worthy of more time to get the design perfect for you as a family.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    Hello Mairead,

So it sounds like you have it all in hand, enjoy the process and the new kitchen! :))
  • Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks one plan I had previously booked 1-1 design time & met with one particular company at least 3/4 times. Do you charge for a design fee? Many thanks
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago
    Hi Mairead - yes as I'm an independent and therefore I don't make a profit margin on what you purchase. That said, most of my clients have recouped more than their design fee by shopping around.
    If you contact me I can go over a price and what that covers for you.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Mairead,

Actually most kitchen design companies are more than happy to offer a discount if you purchase with them. As with designers who get trade.. They will often source and provide the whole kitchen with some form of discount and a large part of the work other than design is negotiation! knowing where to go and combining items often results in savings for the clients. :))

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks again to you both, just worried now our original plan doesn't look good. Thanks one plan for your offer but don't think our budget could stretch to paying a design fee as the building work has already gone over budget. But I am very grateful if your help & advice Mairead
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Mairead,

A plan is just a guide really but if you're happy then that's all that matters.. The company(ies) you have been to should be able to give you several ideas to look at before you make the final purchase. Either way if you like the bones it may be just a tweak here and there.. Ultimately it's what suits you and how you move around the kitchen.. Don't be afraid to ask them to show you a few revisions if you want it.. :))

• PRO
    REMEB
    8 years ago

Agreeing with a lot of the above comments. Its seems as if a cupboard has been placed wherever there is a wall. Do you really need that much storage? I would open it up slightly.

On tweaking it, choose one company and ask them. Don't get all of them to do it, it will drive you crazy.

You have the oportunity to say something now. Don't waste it and regret your decisions for years to come.

Good luck

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks guys for your help, yes prob don't need that much storage just wasn't sure how to open it up? Have been guided by what they thought really, gave them my wish list which I mentioned earlier. Just want it to look right.
  • User
    8 years ago
    Perhaps break it up with some glass fronted cupboards.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Mairead,

Of course you want it to look right.. It's a lot easier to get it right to start with than have to deal with it after the fact... It's important when designing to consider what you're having or choosing appliance wise too as this can somewhat dictate where things can go in terms of practicality but also aesthetically.. It might be really nice to have a galley and an island.. with perhaps the large double height larders on the opposite with fridge/freezer..

Have a look at the room and where the line of sight goes... Where are the doors and what orientation do you natural feel is right for the room... You'll get there but don't worry about thinking on it a bit more if you want to.. : ))

• PRO
    Kitchen Republic
    8 years ago

Mairead can you upload a plan of the room with dimensions, making a note of window and door placement, the height of windows and how far they are off the ground. Also the ceiling height. Have you selected any other materials for the room such as flooring that might run throughout multiple rooms? How long is your lead time?

What questions have your designers asked you so far? Have they asked how many people live at the property? their ages? do you like to entertain on a regular basis and for how many people on average? Are you a messy 'creative' cook or extremely organised? What type/style of cooking do you like? Do you bake a lot? Do you do a lot of hand washing or does everything get loaded in to the dishwasher?.... There are a ton of probing questions your designer should have asked you and if they haven't then no real thought is going in to its design and they are just filling a room with units and doesn't reflect you and your household.

For example here are 4 different designs we did, for 4 different clients, all which look very different from each other. However they all use the SAME kitchen but just used in different ways to suit the clients lifestyle.

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow thanks Kitchen Republic. Yes we had the lovely Diane Berry kitchens (Manchester) round who was brilliant & asked all the above questions & had really good vision, however my husband felt it was just a little too contemporary & that's why we have chooses to stay with hand painted shaker. I've very roughly measured ceiling to floor which is approx 325cm (apologies)as I only had a tape measure:)I've attached my original kitchen pics & plans. We are knocking the wall down in the kitchen to open up, more like snug area. Many many thanks Kitchen Republic as I'm so confused with what to ask the fitter for. Thanks AJ for your advice but as we have something that resembles a gallery already, I wanted to create something different. My wish list is Quooker hot tap, pull out larder, integrated ovens, & possibly a breakfast/pantry cupboard. Clever storage. Thanks again, I'm extremely grateful :))
  • PRO
    Kitchen Republic
    8 years ago

Do you have a plan with measurements on already? Your second picture is scaled pland and unfortunately I can't take measurements from it without a hard copy in front of me, unless you have a PDF copy?

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sorry about that KR, I don't think we have any kitchen measurements as the designers held them. I'm sure I have the architect plans, would it be possible to email them to you or am I being a bit cheeky?
  • PRO
    Kitchen Republic
    8 years ago

No problem. send them to info@kitchenrepublic.co.uk

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Many thanks will do, your very kind!
  • Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sorry AJ I have totally got confused we haven't got a galley kitchen, I don't know what I'm thinking of today. The design is puddling my brain;))
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Not at all Mairead,

A lot is happening when you're designing a kitchen and so you'll have a lot of ideas and thoughts.. :))

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow thank you so much KR for your expertise, that looks so amazing. It's wonderful to actually see something completely different! I'm so grateful for your time & effort. I do hope someone locally to you see's your vision & decides to use your company:))))
  • PRO
    Kitchen Republic
    8 years ago

No problem. I felt guilty about saying I didn't like the design but then not giving you an alternative!

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    No I appreciated your honesty, thanks once again.:)
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I would advise having an island/breakfast bar especially with all that space you have to work with.

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you Alpha, good advice:)
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.