gemma_sweeney13

Small living room / diner is a blank canvas... help!

Gemma Sweeney
8 years ago

Dear Houzzers,

Am undecided about what to do with the living room in my new flat - it has space for a dining table at one end - room is around 5m x 3.5m.

I'm a fan of scandinavian / contemporary style so I've just painted the walls an off-white colour, and now am now a bit lost as to what to do with the rest!

The floor is a walnut coloured laminate, and I'm finding it difficult to decide on what colour dining table to get - I think a dark wood table would look too dark against the floor, and a white table might look too white against the wall? The dining table would be in the same place as the current one.

Also planning to get a new sofa as its very saggy so colour of new sofa is flexible!

Ideas I have had so far:

- Paint the entire 'back' wall behind the sofa light grey (leave rest of walls white) and get a white dining table (for contrast?) plus pastel coloured Eames chairs?

Or - just paint the section of wall where the dining table is a light grey and get white dining table as above - the painted wall section would look like the pic below:

But would this look odd? :)

Scandinavian style on a budget in a small city apartment · More Info

Also thinking about pendant lights over dining table, rug in living room area and under dining table to create 'zones', big colourful art on walls, and a bookcase / storage unit in between living room and dining area - but again what colour? Decisions! :)

This is what it might look like - did a mockup in photoshop!

Thanks in advance for any advice or other ideas, its much appreciated!

Gemma

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.