benson1980

Extension ideas

Simon
8 years ago

Hi all, just after some advice and pointers regarding a possible extension to our 80's detached house.

Firstly, here's some pictures of our house currently:

(from the front)

(from the rear, along the gable end of the house. To the back of the photo is our garage; just to the right of the window is where the neighbours single garage on the back of ours starts if that makes sense)

And current floorplan...

Whilst the house has some drawbacks in that its a bland 80's box, and all stud walls upstairs which makes it a bit noisy, its got a double garage, decent garden and there's a fair bit of space particularly on the side and potentially over the garage and around the front of the plot. It's also in a nice area- estate but a nice estate with some massive extended houses. We'd be dead against extending to the rear or just a bolt of extension at the gable end as this would obviously drastically reduce the nice sized garden.

The worst features I'd like to get rid of is the small upstairs landing and fourth bedroom which has a stairbox in it and will be pretty unusable for our kids as they get older. The house is currently worth around 330k and to get anything substantially better we'd be spending well over 400k I reckon, plus moving costs obviously. My initial thoughts were to get rid of the small fourth bedroom and knock through to create a gallery landing, get rid of the current en suite and make this part of a new second bedroom with a big window over the garden, and then take some of the existing bed 1 space and build outwards over the front, over the garage to create a big bedroom and replacement en suite, and this could potentially sit over the existing downstairs loo which presumably wouldn't cause too much drama. Then somehow get a second living area downstairs by joining up main house with garage. Could the garage be built outwards to the front a bit potentially and then a bit of the garage footprint used to create a living area?

Does this sound feasible, or are there any other potential ideas we should be considering? Basically what I'd like is less of a boxy house, a quiet master en suite hence why I liked the idea of it being away from the other bedrooms, and four big bedrooms rather than having one box room, and a second living area downstairs. Wouldn't want to spend more than 50-60k to build the shell. The garage is currently single skin brick.

Hopefully this makes sense! Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.