angelavdavis

Hiding Broadband Router and IT Paraphenalia

angelavdavis
8 years ago
Our broadband router, BT Fibre connection, Digital Media Storage and Phone are all positioned in the corner of our hallway and is the first thing you see. We are currently in the middle of having the hall, stairs and landings redecorated and I am at a quandary what to do about this area. When we have positioned the broadband router into the cupboards shown, the connectivity is majorly restricted due to the solidness of the Victorian construction(!). Any ideas please would be appreciated. Thanks very much. Angela

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Paul Langston Interiors
    8 years ago

I second Victoria's suggestion of signal extenders. Have a look a TP Link's website for more info: http://uk.tp-link.com/common/Spotlight/Powerline.html Otherwise, you could probably still hide most of your kit and cables in the cupboard and just leave the router itself out, which on it's own is just a fairly discreet looking small black box...

• redjez
    8 years ago

Yep, we use TP-Link power line products because the layout of our house causes havoc with the wi-fi signal from where the router point is to where our office is (other end of house). TP-link is BRILLIANT. It really is. Cheap, quick to setup and the instructions are simple. We have a old pair, and a newer pair and they all sync. I have 170Mbps D/L speed on average through it (thats me AND my husband and we're gamers and stream a fair bit of content).

We had looked at tracing network cables in walls, under skirting, around the outside of the house, and lifting floorboards and running network cables along joists (they run the wrong way), and this is BY far the quickest, easiest, cheapest solution. Our house is fairly old too, and doing any of the above would've been very complicated and messy.

• Victoria
    8 years ago
    Tp link is the brand I'd recommend too. Excellent product, we use them in our cottage (think stone walls over a foot thick) to transmit BT Sport from router to TV.
  • magdalena korvin ECLUSIER LONDON DESIGN
    8 years ago

I had similar problem with the server ,cables etc etc. I build an
    stylish bench/chest with opening top and radiator cover board sides. the
    back is open for the air to come through and the signal from the router
    is working fine through the radiators boards.(On the picture still in working progress) another option could be a small cabinet which again should not block the signal.

But as others mentioned the
    best solution in your case is to hide it in your cupboard

• angelavdavis
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I realised I had a small chest in one of the bedrooms, drilled a purple of one inch holes in the bottom for cables and voila! A cheap and tidy solution to my conundrum. I hope you'll agree!?
  • angelavdavis
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oops, I meant to say ...I drilled a pair of holes in the bottom of the chest for cakes....so love autocorrect don't you?
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.