jenzpad

Replaster or Paintable wallpaper?

jenzpad
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We're about to start a new project... ~250sqm refurb of a city house (circa 1920/1930s). We need to redo all of the electrics - to be chased into the wall, and we are wondering what to do about the new wall finishes? Floor to ceiling heights are +3m, and with good natural light, rooms are all ~18sqm... Most walls are currently wallpapered with old fabric paper. For the most part the house is in very good condition.

As the base finish, should we specify replastering plus base coat of paint or using a thick paintable wallpaper?

I'm not really talking about 'decorating' here as we will deviate from this base finish in specific areas (decorative wallpaper, paint), as we see fit... I'm more wondering about versatility and hiding potential flaws...

We are likely to only decorate some of the rooms in the short term... so we also need to avoid setting ourselves up for redoing things in the near future. Eventually, we will likely have an eclectic mix of modern/minimal/simple, vintage, found objects... styles. ;)

My gut feeling tells me that the heavy wallpaper (fibreglass or similar...?) adds texture where it's not intended, and looks a bit like a cheap & quick solution for a corner cafe (possibly rented!) rather than a family home. BUT, I don't have experience with big old houses like this one... and I don't want to see wobbly walls everywhere!

All advice welcome... technical, aesthetic, how to future proof for decoration...

Many thanks!

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.