stevemac2

Woodchip Wallpaper Over Lime Plaster Walls

Steve Mac
5 years ago

The Victorian mid terrace house we have recently bought as a doer upper, has three floors of woodchip wallpaper to every wall and ceiling. The walls and wallpaper seem to be in good nick, apparently the guy who lived here previously, who lived in the house since 1969, was a decorator. What are my options when it comes to decorating? We want clean looking matt painted looking walls.

Having stripped some wallpaper off in a corner as a tester, there was a layer of paint underneath, which I could scrape off to reveal the lime plaster wall. The lime plaster wall if rubbed hard enough feels grainy, and it's not too hard to rub specks of sand away.

So much conflicting information on the net, i think my main options are to line with lining paper and then paint to ensure smooth wall. Painting the lime plaster direct may not get a smooth finish. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.