edubya

POLL: Are hot tubs hard to maintain?

Emily H
7 years ago

Hudson Valley Spa · More Info

What is your impression? Are hot tubs difficult to maintain or no problem at all?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes
No
Other - tell us about it!

Comments (101)

• Kristan Mackintosh
    7 years ago
    My tub has a salt water system, so much easier on your skin and the environment. I only have to add chlorine after heavy use from a party. We use it daily, sometimes twice. Love it! It's just over two years old and uses about $17 a month in electricity. Can't dream of going without one now!
  • PRO
    dreamdoctor
    7 years ago

Hey Pro Spa folks - what is your estimate for energy use per month - I've read $40/mo a couple times - seems really high. Mine is really well insulated and protected - I'm guessing 4 or $5 average for me. If the temp is too high it takes a long time to cool down a couple degrees.

• Related Discussions

POLL: Fabric or leather sofa?

Q

Comments (60)
    Although we've gone for fabric in this poll, we know that for most of us this very much comes down to a choice between comfort and aesthetic. Leather is a bit more of an acquired taste when you're talking about comfort, whereas the right fabric sofa comes with comfort built in. If like us you love great textile design, a sumptuous fabric sofa is definitely an opportunity to explore the work of some well established textile designers like Margo Selby or new breed upholstery & textile design houses like Native Flok in Edinburgh. Okay, so you may just be looking for a lovely, comfortable sofa you can curl up on and watch Strictly, but even then, if approached with a sense of adventure, navigating the brave new world of textile design can still be very exciting stuff!
    ...See More

POLL: Single, double or triple glazed?

Q

Comments (55)
    chanti1, my grandparents used to have massive condensation problems with their double glazing as it was added as an afterthought, it had about a 4 inch gap and was not sealed so they would have to keep cloths in the gap to mop it all up. In my parents house there were a couple of windows prone to this problem between the panes - caused when the seal on the double glazed units failed. Because you can't get to it the result is eventually mould. The units had to be changed which to my mind seems drastic and wasteful. There should be a way of removing, cleaning and resealing units on site. Of course condensation happens with single glazing all the time. Where I live now we get condensation on the outside of the window at night. Air conditioning indoors and extreme humidity outside with night time temperatures still in the high twenties centigrade does that.
    ...See More

POLL: What's your kitchen worktop material?

Q

Comments (127)
    Another vote for Dekton and Sileston Quartz worktops, use them all the time in our projects as so much more forgiving and low maintenance than granite or marble. Agree that Corian is a good option if you have a large island to prevent visible joins, whilst it has other benefits you do need to be very careful when it comes to heat. Vast range of colours and textures in all types nowadays so the type of material shouldn't limit the effect you want to achieve - be that traditional or contemporary. I am always a big advocate that a worktop is an investment, there is no point spending a large sum on a beautiful quality kitchen and then finishing it off with a worktop that won't stand up to time as well as the rest of the room or cheapen the look - I always recommend to go for the best you can afford.
    ...See More

POLL: Conservatory or extension?

Q

Comments (192)
    If you were our client, we would first assess which way the house faces in order to understand the direction of the sun and the likely impact on the space in terms of light and heat, plus we would ask what use you intend to place on the new space. It is also the case that with whatever heating - a fully glazed conservatory can seem an inhospitable space in the winter months. Even in the UK heat gain during our short summer is a major consideration and whilst roof blinds can be added - these can spoil the original design intent. A part solid / part glazed roof with fully glazed walls may be the most successful. Attached image of a garden room with a large strategically placed roof light and two fully glazed walls.
    ...See More
  • Rhonda Delguidice
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've had a hot tub for 15 years . When I purchased the tub it came with several containers of chemicals which can be overwhelming . Then I came across a hot tub repair person who set me straight. Once every 2 wks I add about 1/8 c stabilized chlorinating granules and 1/3 c. Sodium bicarbonate ( and keep the puck dispenser full) . I test the water periodically , but after this long my system works for me and I always have clear, fresh , foam free water when the jets are on . *LEAVE TUB LID OPEN *for 30 min with jets on after adding chemicals ( to prevent foaming and allow strong chemical door to dissipate) and change the water every 4 months . I prefer bromine over chlorine as I find it not as harsh . Easy maintenance .....

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    7 years ago

Sodium bicarbonate or "ph up" being the fancy/expensive way to say baking soda. I don't have foaming problems/issue but I don't really use the jets/bubbler - just want to relax in silence. If you do use the bubbler/jets after not using them for a long time or if it has been a while since you have changed the water be sure to have plenty of fresh air available if your tub is in any kind of enclosure - the bubble agitation releases bromine gas trapped in the water and it can be quite caustic to your lungs.

At about the three month time of a six month water change I usually clean the filter and add enzyme (clarifier) then run the jets/bubbler for a while and use a skimmer net to take the cruddy bubbles off the top (floaters/skin oils/skin cells) - keeps the water crystal clear for at least six months.

• info8171
    7 years ago

There is no way to know what your hot tubs pH and Alkalinity are without testing. Never assume you need up or down without testing the water. Everyones water chemistry is different and the sanitizer you are using, plus your body will change the pH and Alkalinity. Let me give you a quick & overly simple explanation:

Alkalinity is the waters ability to resist pH change, we refer to it as a buffer against pH drift. Once it is in balance, check the pH and adjust. Once pH is balanced the water will be ready for your sanitizer and you. When pH is off, sanitizers can not work effectively and the water will not feel good, our skin likes balanced water. Sure you can use baking soda, but pH increaser and alkalinity increaser are a bit different and very inexpensive. You can use vinegar, but pH decreaser is also inexpensive.

($4-5/ lb) which will last awhile.

When you add your adjustments, run all jets, waterfall and move any diverters you have to make sure you purge your system and get a sanitizer running through all jets in your spa. Even if you don’t use jets when enjoying your spa, you should definitely run them once a week with your ‘shock’ agent.

Bromine is a stablized sanitizer and if I were using it, I’d use either a potassium based shock like MPS or Renew, or Enhanced shock by SpaGuard/BioGuard. While you can use regular dichlor as your shock, it is a lot of stabilized chlorine and that builds up fast; too much of a good thing! (over stabilized water makes chlorine sluggish reducing its effectiveness)

I have tried to upload these but no luck so I will be happy to send anyone a quick chemical maintenance sheet if requested:

info@ilovehotsprings.com

Happy Hot tubbing!

• info8171
    7 years ago

Dream doctor asks: " what is your estimate for energy use per month - “

this will vary drastically depending on how much you pay / kw, what your ambient temperature is, what brand spa you own and how much you use it. A well insulated spa, like the Hot Spring Spas, using a small circulation pump will run 110 - 190KW/ month. That is the tested results. Take that number X your cost/kw and you will get a close idea of the cost to operate. I would be happy if they were $4/month but I think that is a bit optimistic unless you are on a solar system?

I have seen spas that run upwards to 250-300 kw/month due to the lack of solid insulation so, be aware of what your spa of choice is quoting vs the reality of how it was built. Any spa that uses ‘thermo’ insulation with a layer of air is simply not going to provide you with efficient energy costs. (All Hot Spring Spas meet the highest criteria of being certified by the CEC, California Energy Commission. Ask about compliance before purchasing. ) ** I am not the manufacturer so I am not trying to sell you on one company, but can speak to the issues based on 38 years in the industry.

• PRO
    James Naish Architect
    7 years ago

A basic hot tub can be maintained with only a few minutes 'effort' a week and a few chemicals. Bromine tablets can be dropped into the system and do not smell of chlorine. A quick wipe around the brim and all ok for 6 months! Every 6 months change the water. For the enjoyment it gives it is well worth it.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    7 years ago

Hot Spring Spas - my set up is a bit out of the ordinary relative to operating costs. I'm a bit of an energy freak and took this into account when I set my spa up. The spa has about 1 1/2" of foam on the outside from the factory - I wrapped all the circulation tubing with bubble wrap about 2" thick. The spa is sunk into a floor cavity and the perimeter of that area is insulated with 3" thick rigid insulation and sealed tightly. The spa (hot tub) is located in an unconditioned, but enclosed solar addition so it gets up to 95 degrees in there during the day in February, with five inches of mass in the floor to retain the heat (and keep my feet warm). The solar addition benefits from any heat loss from the house and the floor stays a bit warm from the heat loss of the spa. I keep hardy plants out there most of the winter - it freezes about five or six days a year out there (-30F outside and gale force winds - hence the enclosure). And I have a really good spa cover. We are on a power coop instead of a for-profit power company - that can't hurt either.

• robinson1823
    7 years ago

Our hot tub chemical maintenance isn't difficult, but it breaks down mechanically all the time, and neither of us are good at mechanics.
    There seems to be only one mechanic in the area who can work on it ( it's a Viking Executive), and his prices (especially for parts) are exorbitant. He recently came to "fix" our tub by putting in a $200 heater ( for which he charged us $450, plus an additional $450 labor), and it still isn't working properly. The problem is in the temp sensor ( which I suspected all along), but I'm reluctant to call this guy again after being ripped off twice, and no one else works on this model.
    We also live in an area with the highest utility bills in the country. For us, the hot tub has been a money pit.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    7 years ago

I have an old tub (20 years) and the heat sensor was tied to the circulation tube so with outdoor temperature swings the tub temp would swing widely too - had to crawl under there many times in crappy weather to reset the thermal overload/max temp switch which is partly why I insulated/sealed everything - and then some years later moved the control unit into the basement. All good for the most part now - seems my mechanical problems always happen relative to draining/refilling the tub, all the rest of the time no problems.

• info8171
    7 years ago

Robinson writes :There seems to be only one mechanic in the area who can work on it ( it's a Viking Executive), and his prices (especially for parts) are exorbitant."

I am sorry you have so many problems with your unit. Sticking with well known brand names is usually less expensive over time due to the availability of parts and techs.

What I wonder is why the company you bought it from isn't servicing this spa? I have never heard of Viking Executive and am guessing it was not bought from a local dealer? This is a huge concern when buying something that may need service. We strongly recommend you buy hot tubs from dealers who service their product. The pricing you give seems a bit high, but remember he is only able to make money by selling the parts he needs. Labor for most service techs runs around $100 -120/ hr. which is pretty standard in the service industry. This usually covers the cost to be in business. I would suggest you call him back and tell him you'd like him to complete his work since it hasn't solved the problem. He should not charge for anything he has to redo, only for work that is in addition to fix the problem. Get him to quote you before he comes out.

• info8171
    7 years ago

James Naish: not all spas accept bromine and many have alternative systems such as ozone generators which do not require a residual sanitizer like bromine. Bromine is 27% chlorine and still has an order, although some customers prefer it. It is always in the water once added, and there are other means of sanitation that dissipate rapidly so no smell at all. You need to check pH and alkalinity weekly as bromine tends to lower pH and for many reasons that I have already addressed, spa water needs to be balanced for sanitizers to work effectively. happy hottubbing

• Sandy
    7 years ago

Hard to maintain? Here is my advice to those who have never had one. It's 100% more work to maintain something than it was before you had it. Just like a pet or owning your own home, make sure the amount of work it takes to keep it is worth the enjoyment. Likely you will use it a lot at first, and then that use tapers off. We bought a house with an existing hot tub. For me it wasn't worth the extra hassle. A few years later when we wanted to sell the home, the existing older model hot tub was not considered an asset and was a detractor to the overall property. For the price of a new spa, water and maintenance (not to mention the cost of getting rid of an old one when you want to upgrade or you tire of it) consider how many weekend getaways you can have to hotels resorts and condos with a hot tub... and you never have to do the maintenance!

• Debra Handel
    7 years ago
    Goodness no. Most hot tubs now have lights that sanitize the water. You do not need tons of chemicals at all. I hardly ever have any chemicals in my hot tub and it is used year round. A simple water testing kit which determines the alkalinity of your water is all that is needed. if you have a certain type of water you will need one additive to correct any imbalance that it may have. hot tubs and pools only become difficult to maintain if people enter them with lotions soaps and other unnatural chemicals on their bodies. an outdoor shower would solve a myriad of problems
  • creatureofchaos
    7 years ago
    I have a cedar hot tub with an ionizer and I change the water every few months but have never put any chemicals in it. The biggest annoyance is bleeding air out of the system when I refill it.
  • PRO
    dreamdoctor
    7 years ago

creature - I just stopped draining it all the way - it seemed that is when all my mechanical/electrical problems happened. I drain the tub but leave the water in the lines to the pump/heater. The water looks pretty darn good when I drain it anyway at 6 months.

• info8171
    7 years ago

Creatureofchaos...you are taking a very large risk with not putting chemicals in a tub. As I am trying to make everyone aware of, hot water breeds bacteria quickly and the ionizer (?) do you mean Ozonator? is not a sanitizer. You should be doing the same as everyone with a hot tub, balancing pH, Alkalinity and adding at the least, a weekly dose of chlorine to kill the bacteria. Pseudomonas Folliculitis is a very real issue in hot tubs as is tissue mold.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    7 years ago

I have a Canadian-made Rotospa which is 317 gal capacity, runs on 120V plug-in power, and uses hydrogen peroxide for the water treatment (a product called Peroxysan, www.peroxysan.com). We don't use it much, but ours has been running continuously for over six years. I only unplug it for water replacement 2-3 times a year and throw a cup of hydrogen peroxide in it once every week or two. This tub has stayed immaculately clean all this time and has had no mechanical issues at all.

• creatureofchaos
    7 years ago
    No, I mean an alternative sanitation system, an ionizer and an ozonator., which are commonly sold with cedar tubs specifically to radically reduce or eliminate the need for halogens. Not only does my tub have the alternative sanitation system, but it's also huge for the use it gets (850 gallons, two people) and it gets a complete water change every other month. I'm not seeing any reason for concern. I'd adjust the pH if I had to, but I test it regularly and it's never needed it.
  • luv love
    7 years ago

going to bookmark this thread... have a lot to think about concerning I just had one delivered and ready to set up for indoors... thank you...

• info8171
    7 years ago

luv love, please let me know if I can send you any information on maintaining a hot tub! Happy soaking.

• luv love
    7 years ago

I most certainly will... right now I am preparing the floors that the spa will sit on in the addition that's attached to the house... the addition has 7 huge windows that will help in the condensation...and thinking now that the walls may have to be treated also... should be ready to fill the spa in July... so will keep you posted... thanks...

• PRO
    Bespoke Bathrooms
    7 years ago

wow looks luxurious, will bookmark this one!

• info8171
    7 years ago

luv love, the spa should have a sealing cover that keeps condensation to a minimum. If you have a fan or ability to open windows when in use, you shouldn't have an issue. We keep lots of spas full in our showrooms and have no issue what so ever.

• judygilpin
    7 years ago

No problem at all to maintain. We change the water once or twice a year, wash out the filter once a month, and test the chemicals about once every week or two depending on how many times we use it in that period. We've had pools in two different houses and pools are a pain to maintain yourself. Hiring a "pool guy" is the only way to go, but they charge $80. to $100. per month in our area.

• hou3line
    7 years ago

Our friend who was a HotSprings dealer for many years said that on average people used their hot tubs regularly for about 3-5 years, then interest would lapse. This more or less happened for us, though we kept one for about 12 years. The final straw was ant colonies–plus slugs–that moved in under the cover coating the rim. Ants were probably living inside the tub mechanism housing as well. We'd spend hours cleaning them out, only to have them all return within a day or two. Yuck! The cautionary note here is that the tub sat on a non-mortared brick patio. This gave the critters easy access and they loved the humid warmth, especially in the winter.

• Terrell Zollinger
    7 years ago

We have had a hot tub on our elevated wood deck for 23 years and use it daily. My wife and I get in it first thing in the morning, drink our coffee and discuss current issues and tasks. The first one lasted 19 years and we expect to get at least that number of years out of the new one. Get the best one you can afford that meets your needs. Either my wife or I check the water quality daily to make sure the pH is in balance and there is a sufficient level of chlorine in it. Every weekend I treat it with clarifier and I wash out the filter monthly. The daily routine takes 2 minutes at most, the weekend takes another minute, and washing the filter takes 10 minutes. The enjoyment and benefit of the hot tub far outweighs the investment of proper care and maintenance.

• info8171
    7 years ago

TERRELL : There is a great product out call EcoOne Spa Monthly that actually helps lock the pH and Alkalinity to help prevent it from drifting around so you'd only have to check that weekly and probably balance it monthly. I know you can find it online. It changed my routine so much that I now give it to every customer when buying a spa from us.

• onevoiceiz
    7 years ago

I plan on a shower only bathroom in my next house...with a hot tub out back. Bathtubs seem wasteful to me. It's never taken even 10 minutes a week maintainance time for me. Test it weekly with those pH strips. Add help (chemicals) if needed. I rarely needed chemicals. I attribute that to the ozonator though. As others say, rinse filters monthly and change water twice a year (unless your're dirty/sweaty/yucky/oily most of the time you get in). I agree with others that smaller is better...unless you share your nakedness with friends/neighbors :( Hey how about a poll for swim suit or birthday suit in the hot tub...don't get ugly here.

• PRO
    Johnny Boyd Photography
    7 years ago

I have a Jacuzzi J300 series and this is very, very easy spa to maintain thanks to its ozone generator and mineral stick that fits into one of the filters. I just add a cap of chlorine granules when we get out and that is it. It doesn't get any simpler than that and the water is always crystal clear.

• hikeitup
    7 years ago

Separate hot tubs from swimming pools do not have the high powered filtering systems as swimming pools. Our spa tech said to treat hot tubs like a bathtub emptying waters after each use to be safe! He said women's should hot tub "at your own risk" is hotel/motels. A real pain in below zero weather to check water levels in tub. Have to leave a hose out all winter too. We tried emptying it but had nothing but trouble the following season. 27 years of headaches!

• info8171
    7 years ago

" hikeitup" , The pool tech who told you to empty the tub after each use is badly informed. The filtration system on a spa is proportional to the small volume of water 350-400 gallons vs a pool of 10.000 gallons. Furthermore it is not the filtration but sanitation that needs to be watched. There are over a million hot tubs that have been sold just by Hot Spring Spas alone and I guarantee you we do NOT drain them after use. You need to find a better tech.

There is simply too much evidence that hot tubs are therapeutic and beneficial to allow misinformation to perpetuate like this. I've been in the industry for 38 years and the crazy ideas people spread is simply applauding especially when there are so many professionals who can give real help to consumers.

• judygilpin
    7 years ago

@hikeitup......Change water after each use ??????? Is your spa tech willing to pay your water bill? This was very poor advise on his part.

• PRO
    New England Spas
    7 years ago

We offer a great product that stabilizes the ph and alkalinity, makes the water feel nice and smooth, adds a bit of sparkle to the water appearance, and can also prolong the hot tub water in use. Check out "Silky Smooth" by New England Spas on our shopping cart inside www.nespas.com.

• katscorvette
    7 years ago

The only issue we had, was when the power went out. We live in the woods, and that happens frequently. Most times, it would come back on when the power did. sometimes not. We came very close to losing it one winter. I was the only one who ever used it. It became expensive, monthly with electric. We got rid of it.

• Nicholas Gantenberg
    7 years ago

I love my hot tub! I love it year round in Ohio. It gives so much relaxation and wellness. Sure you must take care of it with a modest bit of care. Remember it's not a BATH tub, so go wash your dirty self before you get in!! Also, it's not a potty for little kids, place them in warm bath before hot tub too. As for maintenance, change frog/water/add chelant/chlorine 4-6 months, keep Alk and pH in balance, chlorine weekly. Hose off filter weekly and deep clean filter monthly (I have two filters that are swapped). Respect and love your tub and it will love you back. Remember, baby it's cold outside, but, it's hot in the tub! Enjoy.

• jeezlouise7
    7 years ago

Love having a hot tub!! We've had one for over 20 years now and can't imagine not having it available. We personally use ours often 5 nights/mornings a week. Maintaining ours is a breeze. Our current hot tub is a Hot Springs tub and we've owned it for 7 years now. We don't use bromine or chlorine. We use food grade hydrogen peroxide. Each time we use it, we add approximately 1/2 cup, turn on the clean cycle and that's it. My husband takes the filters out approximately every three months to clean them. I check the Ph approximately twice a month. If it's out a bit, all I need to add is a splash or two of muriatic acid. Our water is slightly on the alkaline side. I, personally, am allergic to both bromine and chlorine, so using hydrogen peroxide is such a bonus as we originally thought we'd have to sell the tub. Our water is crystal clear, absolutely no odour, and is easy on our skin. We are also fortunate that our tub is located in a secluded enough area so we don't use suits. I think this really helps to keep our tub so clean. I also believe that the ozonator that comes with the Hot Springs tub is helpful to keep the tub clean. We have had very few problems with the Hot Spring tub, although the major problem was the master control panel which we've had to replace twice. Pretty expensive fix but we don't want to live without our tub. In the first few years of owning this tub, we also had two outside panels develop cracks. The tub was under a 7 year warranty and this issue was reported and many phone calls and emails followed, but to no avail. It has never been fixed. This was disappointing.

• info8171
    7 years ago

To jeezelouise: First I am so glad you love your Hot Spring spa. They are amazingly simple to care for. I am disappointed your dealer didn't fix the panel that cracked as that is a simple fix. Did you ever contact the factory? They would have helped resolve this I am sure.

hydrogen peroxide is an interesting choice and if it works that is great. There is a product called Baqua Spa that uses this treatment. My only cringe is the muriatic acid. We highly suggest using pHdecreaser in a granular form due to the extremely corrosive nature of liquid acid. PH decreaser or Low n Slow, is readily available and very inexpensive to buy.

Also, in general we suggest you replace your Ozonator every 4 years as they definitely stop producing Ozone after a few years and you are depending on it to assist you when you don't use chlorine. Again, easy to do if you are handy.

happy Hot-tubbing

• jeezlouise7
    7 years ago

To Pro @ Hot springs Spas of Santa Cruz and San Jose: Yes, we did contact the factory with no results unfortunately. I believe the Hot Spring company should still honour our claim for these panels. Also, the dealer we purchased the hot tub from went bankrupt (we believe). In any case, the store was closed and there was no help available from there. Perhaps because we live in British Columbia everything was a bit more complicated however the tubs were available for sale in Canada so I don't understand why our warranty was never honoured. Can you tell me how much the replacement ozonator costs and whether it can be shipped to us in B.C. The muriatic acid that is added (only very very occasionally) would amount to "maybe" one or two tablespoons into the tub so highly diluted. Thank you for your help.

• Shelly
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We use ours a couple of times a week, there is nothing like coffee in the hot tub and watching the sun come up. It is a great way to talk about the plans for the day and keep in touch before life gets in the way and it gets too busy. Better than a therapist. We like it at 98-99*, the hotter it is, the harder it is to stay in very long. Using it that often, it is easy to maintain, like anything else, you just need to stay on top of it. Our 4 person Thermospa is over 20 years old. We move it into the walkout basement each winter and use it year round. NY winters are too cold for me to go outside to use it.

• lkbookout
    7 years ago

use a salt water system 300$ and plan to replace the heater about every 4 years for around 60$, easy 10 cups pool salt and good for months at a time , no smell and crystall clear water.

• misselthwaite
    7 years ago

My mother had one for more than 15 years. Outside. In Western Canada. I miss it, she misses it... but it was expensive to run, had constant pump issues, and had to be dumped every 3 months. She meticulously checked the levels every day, but the water never stayed clear for more than a few days. I'm sure technology has advanced, and it sounds wonderfully tempting reading all these posts, but... knowing how much money it cost, and how much she had to put into it, I don't think I'd seriously consider one. Not even to gaze up at the winter stars again with a glass of wine.

• info8171
    7 years ago

Salt Water systems: These systems vary greatly and the cost and how they operate will depend on the spa you own. I have no idea what system ‘lkbookout’ is referring to, but please spa people: DO NOT DUMP 10 CUPS OF SALT into your spa. Maybe they have a pool? And a heater for $60? Salt systems that work well are very sophisticated systems and a nice alternative for some folks. You are actually creating pure Chlorine, Bromine and other santiziers with these systems.

If you are looking to add this to your hot tub, consult with a professional who has experience with installing them. These can run up to $1600. depending on the level of technology that you are getting. Take time to read up on the pros and cons before jumping on this trend to make sure it is the best choice for you.

• Kathy Koletzke
    7 years ago

why would anyone want to sit in 10 cups of salt??? Look what swimming in the ocean can do to you if you don't shower & moisturize! I agree with hot springs spas - no way can you replace the heater for 60.00. the one for my fountain/bird bath runs 45.00 people need to do a pro / con sheet and list costs per hour, replacement parts, upkeep costs etc. list the avg. repair house call costs, then divide it by how many hours they actually will use the tub. Then look again and see if they are ready to make the investment. To me it would be like buying a car. I want what I want, but I hate to be nickel and dimed to death.so I pay more to start with something good and plan on following dealer maintenance suggestions just to take good care of my investments. I usually have a car for 10-15 yrs before I trade up. I would expect a hot tub to last at least that long!

• User
    7 years ago

Is it easy to maintain or hard to maintain? That all depends on the user. People have different tolerances for work. I find that it's not too hard but there is a learning curve at the beginning. My current protocol is this:

- test water weekly and adjust Bromine and pH as indicated

- add 1-2 tbsp of Bromine after each use

- drain, clean and refill three tunes a year, more often if used during the summer. We don't use it in the summer if it's really hot.

- inspect inside of power cabinet when water is changed. I've had a problem with mice nesting in the cabinet and have been using mouse repellent in there with some success.

- clean or replace filter every 2-3 months.

- clean outside, clean and apply Armor All to cover as needed . A lot of stuff falls from trees onto my deck so this ends up being about every 2-3 months.

I've had a swimming pool in the past and a hot tub is much easier to maintain than a swimming pool because it's smaller and is kept covered between uses.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    7 years ago

I have dry skin - even very dry skin. About 25 years ago I went to Florida in the winter and swam in the ocean. It was great! The water was so soft after months of hard tap water - started to do some research - they sell Dead Sea salts on line for dry skin and skin conditions to add to bath water and have it in moisturizers. Very expensive - it is just a bunch of chemicals put together. So I made my own mixture - Dead Sea salt is higher in magnesium sulfate (Epson salts) - and add it to my spa - not as concentrated as the Dead Sea but you can taste it - the cat likes to lick my fingers with it on them. I have done this for 25 years - it does not shorten the heater element life if you keep the spa balanced - "ph up" is sodium carbonate, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate - when in solution it is pretty much the same thing and it is adding sodium to the water.

Check the ingredients of your moisturizers - usually mostly water, some oils and sodium in one for or another. So, after the shower, after the spa, and still damp, you rub on a little olive or coconut oil (both great for your skin) on the dry skin areas instead and life is pretty good. The water we have on tap is great quality but still hard (they saturate it with lime at the treatment plant and precipitate out "all" the bad stuff) so I treat it further with my mixture. 340 gal tub, 2 boxes (6Kilograms) Epson salts, 8 cups potassium chloride (water softener salts) and 6 cups sodium chloride (water softener salts) plus/minus. Maybe $10/6 months. Knock it all you want but after you've tried it you'll always do it. Why not?

• Dana Alberco
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I use mine every night all winter long (ten min). It is easy to maintain and I live in a very cold climate. I love having one!! We have a softub. We empty and roll it away in the summer months as we have a pool. It is less expensive and you can take it with you if you move. We have had it for five years now. No problems, 110 outlet and heats to 104 degrees. Cost is great with 110 outlet!

• PRO
    Aqualine Hot Tubs
    4 years ago

One of the main reasons people choose not to buy a hot tub is because they are concerned about maintenance. As far as I experienced is concerned, maintenance is not difficult when you have clear your doubts at the initial stage when you are buying a hot tub or thinking of buying the one for your home. There are simple steps involved in maintaining your hot tub and keeping it clean without spending so much money:

• Filter Cleaning
    • Change the Water regularly
    • Shell Cleaning
    • Keep Your Hot Tubs Covered

When thinking about buying a hot tub, it’s important to consider the models that speak to both your budget and needs. Therefore, the best Hot Tubs are the ones that provide you with years of entertainment and pleasure, without costing you much money. Apart from this, you can take help from hot tub specialist and they will guide you better and also will give you tips for maintaining you hot tubs for longer time.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    4 years ago

My maintenance takes about three minutes a week (test/balance) and a couple hours every three months or so - drain and clean. I do not drain it all the way any more - the heater is below the tub by about two feet (inside in the basement) and I leave that full. When I would drain it all the way something would always go wrong that required a service call to fix it - they haven't been out since I stopped draining it all the way (no water left in tub just in lines to heater/pump and i use spa clarifier and clean the filter a couple days before draining) - maybe eight/ten years - I have my original tub/heater/pump - 25 years old plus minus.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    4 years ago

You use a url shortener to clean and maintain your spa?

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.