pbutler111

GC installed a toilet for his crew in our house. Should I be upset?/

pbutler111
7 years ago

Okay, this is a bit odd, I think. We're approaching the end (I hope!) of a year-long+ whole house renovation; we've been living in a rental house for the past year. Our completion deadline has come and gone, and we're still at least 2 months away from completion. We still get our mail at this house, so my husband and I are there every day to pick up the mail and check out the work progress. About a week or so ago we noticed there was a toilet sitting in the upstairs hallway.

. We haven't purchased toilets yet, so we were a little puzzled, but we decided our GC must have brought it in to check spacing or something. Then two days ago we discovered that the toilet has now been installed in our newly tiled, not yet completed guest bathroom, the back of it piled high with toilet paper. We don't have any other fixtures in the house, so there are no sinks with running water, yet we have this working toilet in the middle of this house that doesn't even have closed walls yet. Meanwhile, the Port-A-John that's been out by our garage for the past year is still there, apparently unused now. Am I wrong to find this really disturbing? No one asked our permission to do this. And after more than a year, and close to a million dollars invested in this renovation, I was kind of looking forward to being the first one to use everything in my newly renovated house, especially the bathrooms. Is this a normal thing to happen on this kind of renovation? Am I out of line to be upset about it? I hate to say something to the GC about it and then find out that this is something that's fairly standard in these situations. But I'm really not happy about it. Is my reaction out of line? Or is the GC's behavior out of line? Thoughts?

Comments (148)

• pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

puremichigan60 wrote: "I'm fascinated. Why in the world are you copying people's comments?? It's the oddness of repeating a useless tactic which is getting you nowhere. You got your dilemma answered hours ago."

I'm copying people's comments because the replies are often far removed from the post to which it was addressed. I find it frustrating when I'm reading threads like this and I see a comment like, "Yes, we had six of those, our house, but only three of them exploded.", yet the posts immediately preceding the comment are clearly completely unrelated. This way people know to which comment I'm responding. I hope this was helpful to you.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Because its sort of interesting how people can be. I think its productive. You don't have to avoid something; you can just comment. And then someone else can comment. You don't have to agree. And it doesn't have to be personal. But I think its says something that we're all here.

• Related Discussions

Our little downstairs loo needs help

Q

Comments (302)
    Hello folks! I haven't disappeared, just had whooping cough (yes, seriously!) with a garnish of gastric flu and torn muscles from coughing fits. So that has severely impeded our efforts (hubby's had it too, and it lasts around 3mths so we're not out of the woods yet!) with our new house (which I now describe as semi-derelict before we bought it) and so had no time/mental energy to properly get updated on what's been happening with you guys. Truth be told, I've started reading a few times & either got interrupted (mummy-ness) or fallen asleep, without finishing. I've missed this, but u guys, esp Monica & RoRo have been in my thoughts. Where to start?! I think I've taken in all that's happened in this thread since I went AWOL but might have missed some finer points. Monica, I'm so sorry to hear what u'v been through, with the RTA & the cowboy tiling / wallpapering on top! (& work always picks worst times to intensify - I just started on a Task Force this week, when shd really still be on sick leave). I mean, a marker?! Seriously?! Isn't it common knowledge / common sense to use a lightly applied pencil? Sounds like u r doing best thing by looking at it as a learning experience. Still, he deserves an honest review somewhere. Anyway, onwards and upwards, I'll look at the lounge link when I've finished this post. BTW I LOVE your artwork. Vivacious, bright and deep - is there an insight there? ;-) And RoRo, wow you've got a lot on your plate! We've been so frustrated with being held back on our projects by health, but u have taken on a bigger scale of project altogether, sounds like it's verging on municipal! U guys inspire me. :-) Thinking of starting a thread on our living room, it's the most 'civilised' room of the house so far, but I didn't take the north-facing position into account when I decided on a colour scheme of turquoise, grey and lime. (Doh!) So far I've made some headway on a concept I'm excited by, but it needs some tweaking so it doesn't feel 'cold' with the blue tone of the natural light. Are you up for sharing some of your thoughts on this??? Hope so. :-)
    ...See More

Help to fit in a downstairs toilet.

Q

Comments (10)
    Good morning Lisa, Is this a two storey property only? If there a loft conversion/third floor for example, that staircase will/should be fire protected and therefore removing the living room door/partition wall wouldn't be an option as it wouldn't comply with building regulations. Building a W/C near the entrance and connected to existing/new drainage could work however it may leave you with an odd shaped lounge afterwards, as well as potentially opening up the opportunity for unwanted smells coming into the lounge. It may be worth exploring a reconfiguration of the ground floor. A quick preliminary idea would be converting the existing dining room into a kitchen, with a dining table to the north of lounge on this plan. The existing kitchen could then have a W/C and utility.
    ...See More

Thoughts on the dreaded macerator / saniflo toilet

Q

Comments (10)
    I have had macerators twice before and they were absolutely incident free. You need to be careful you don’t put anything you shouldn’t down the loo- dental floss or cotton wool will stop it and you will need to call out an engineer. They are also noisy- so I would try to box them in with insulation if I have one again. Lastly you can have a separate pipe for the shower but just one saniflo pipe would cost less in installation- if you had sewage coming up a plug hole this is down to poor installation not a quirk of macerators.
    ...See More

Design dilemma. should I have bigger kitchen and sacrifice utility

Q

Comments (18)
    Great overall floor space but the plan would benefit from some amendments. I would keep the utility room especially as your garage is detached. The design will give you a gloomy lounge so lose the office to give it some natural light coming in from the front of the house as well as through the internal bifolds separating kitchen from lounge. I agree that the play room may soon become redundant so relocate the office there. With the extra room in the lounge (or the bigger office space), incorporate some clever storage for toys etc. Include a door from lounge to current play room for easier access to the toilet. I might be tempted to pinch a bit of play room space to extend the toilet area and have a small lobby so you always have 2 doors between lounge/play room to toilet. Remove the door from play room to utility and have extra utility units. Install a sliding door from utility to kitchen. I would also remove the door from the living room to the playroom. Good luck with the build.
    ...See More
  • pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

puremichigan60 wrote: "You. Had. Your. Dilemma. Answered. Hours. Ago. Anything after that is crazy weird. Probably the weirdest, most illogical thread yet."

And your comments here have contributed... um... what, exactly?

• pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

puremichigan60 wrote: "pbutler111 weird beyond my pay grade. Good luck - I can only imagine what your future dealings will be like. I'm gone."

Okay. Not sure why you were even here.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago
    Oh my dear, I read your original comment. Stop making assumptions about me. Your obsession with being right is making you look foolish.
  • User
    7 years ago

Ah, yet another popular toilet thread. Ijkesen had it right. It's your "purgative" to complain. Especially if they don't clean it.

pbutler111 thanked User
  • pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

susanalanandwrigley wrote: "Oh my dear, I read your original comment. Stop making assumptions about me. Your obsession with being right is making you look foolish."

If you read my original post then you should know that I didn't say anything to be "right" about. I asked questions. Some people were gracious enough to answer those questions; some people felt the need to make nasty personal comments and baseless negative assumptions for reasons I can't begin to fathom.

• Kim
    7 years ago

The personal attacks on you are bizarre to begin with, and the reactions to your confusion over being attacked are equally bizarre. Your posts are extremely well articulated. As to your dilemma, whether it's a million dollar project or a $5000 one, I would absolutely have questioned why the GC would be so bold as to install that toilet without asking first. Totally unprofessional and disrespectful. And, I totally agree with you...what kind of business model are we trying to promote when we send the message that the only way we expect to get the service we are promised is when we surprise workers with treats? Kindness does go a long way, but it shouldn't have to come in the form of spending more money to get what you already agreed to in a contract.

pbutler111 thanked Kim
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Chiming in late here with my 5 cents...1) Your contractor and workers are clods. 2) It's freakin' odd and unprofessional to just install a toilet. 3) At least if they had shown respect and asked you, you get the option of saying yes or no. 4) My vote is no, btw. 5) You have wayyy more tolerance than I do for putting up with a year-long reno. I'm not sure whether to say you are nuts or congratulate you for your patience, lol. 6) Yeah, sure, the workers are human--not relevant to the problem. 7) Construction is a dirty job and not always so glamorous--those in the job should know what it entails and accept the realities of the job. 8) I'd be royally ticked if I found a weird toilet or someone squatting (lol, no pun intended!) in my home. ***They would be fired on the spot.*** 9) I wouldn't spend a million dollars on a reno, period, but that's not relevant. And I don't have a million in cash kicking around, lol. 10) There's no freakin' way I wouldn't know *everything* that was going on at the work-site at all times. I'd be around all the time. 11) As someone that has been ripped off by supposedly professional and reputable house-cleaners x2, movers ×2, and trades-people x2, there are lots of unprofessional and unethical ones. 12) I have worked with a lot of losers in the trades. They are often dirty and disgusting and don't give a care--they figure X is paying a million for the reno and they could never afford that, so they don't care. 13) Sadly, the number of ethical workers I have run across has shrunk. 14) I have been known to bring cookies, sandwiches, water, and so on for people doing work for us **as a treat, IF they have proven trust-worthy and are doing good work. 15) I am paying the bills and expect adults can figure out they need to bring their own lunches and water/coffee to a job-site. It is NOT my job to supply these things. 16) No thanks, I do not want a whole crew of strange men parading through my home to use a bathroom. 17) Go off-site or use a porta-potty. 18) Do not pee in my garden or flower-beds. 19) The majority of workers in my experience prefer to get off-site for a break whenever possible and so we have never needed a porta-potty. Whew! 20) If I knew the trades-person personally as a friend and could trust him? I would have no problem with him using our bathroom. Otherwise, I keep a respectful distance and I don't get overly familiar with them. They are there to do a job. They are not there to be friends. 21) And I am NEVER alone in the house with any stranger doing work for me without the front door being wide open and either a neighbour aware of it or my husband being home or nearby. I make it a plan to have a neighbour call or pop by. 22) I'm the boss, and you better believe the people I hire know it. If they can't answer my questions and give me reasonable answers, they don't get far. First sign of BS and they are gone! Even with taking every reasonable step, we have still had duds!

Trades people with old-world values, quality workmanship, and good work-ethics are hard to find around here. It's like hunting for treasure. A lot of the older ones are retiring. A lot of the younger ones? Cringe. IF you get them to show up at all, then you hope and pray they aren't high and/or rip-you off.

A lot of it is generational in some cases. Sad, but true...

Good luck, OP.

pbutler111 thanked luvourhome
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

P.S. The last guy I fired was from a company that did power-washing. He showed up late, did not call, made some lame excuse about why his co-worker was not there and then did a sloppy job. And then lied about it! Not only to me, but to his boss.

I not only caught him in the lie to his boss, I called the boss out to our home and "recapped" the events. Thus, both guys were now in trouble. And the boss had a big problem and was in trouble with me.

The boss offered to have guy A come back for a "re-do." Nope. I paid only for the 50% done well and offered a bad reference. The boss was disappointed in his workers and blah, blah. When I asked the boss why he didn't come the first time I called at the end of the day saying the windows were not done, the screens were not done and the gutters were not done, he "had to check with his guy." Well, I sent a whole whack of email photos and the boss was shocked.

The boss tried to make me out like I was complaining about nothing. The photos did not lie and he had to eat crow.

I'm nice. But don't try and con me. You will hear about it, lol. And if you are the boss? Yep. Don't try and make excuses for your workers in front of your customer. BAD. Apologize and make it right with your customer immediately! Then go and check with your guy and fire/remediate, etc.

• km kane
    7 years ago
    Wow.
  • Lori East
    7 years ago
    Yes, to answer your question, you should be upset (if not livid).
    pbutler111 thanked Lori East
  • covella
    7 years ago

I want to know how to write a better contract for the full house remodel I'm entering into.... is that addressed anywhere on the Houzz boards?

• Theresa Holt
    7 years ago
    When we did our large reno the neighbors begged me not to have a Porto John in the yard as they we doing several large fundraising parties for various fund charities. I designated one downstairs bathroom for the workers with instructions that it must be clean at all times. Never had a problem.
  • teamaltese
    7 years ago
    Darn it, only the photo copied. Go to "latest" on the app, or "stories" on the website, you'll see "How to Hire a Contractor". You can do a search on Houzz as well.
  • pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Theresa Holt wrote: "When we did our large reno the neighbors begged me not to have a Porto John in the yard as they we doing several large fundraising parties for various fund charities. I designated one downstairs bathroom for the workers with instructions that it must be clean at all times. Never had a problem."

We're lucky that the position of our house, even though in the middle of town, allows a lot of privacy, so our neighbors don't really need to be bothered by what's going on at our house. We have a double lot. The house is set on the east lot, nearest the street, with the west lot just grass and trees, almost like a park between our house and the neighbor to the west, and almost as wide a swath of land behind the house, between us and the neighbor to the north. On the east side of the house we have a garage, near the house but not connected, set at a 90 degree angle from the house. In front of that is a paved driveway/parking area wide and long enough for 2 rows of 3 cars abreast, with the house on the west end and the garage on the north side. This area has the wide/tall construction fence around it, completely shielding it from the street, with the house and garage blocking it from neighbors on any side of the house. This is where the Port-A-John is. This big buffer around the house has really come in handy when we've had to move in cranes or other heavy equipment. We're also only a couple of blocks from Village hall, which makes it easy for Village inspectors to drop by on a regular basis to monitor progress and sign off on the work.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

Once again, I answered your original questions in my original post. I am sorry you were disappointed with my responses and have decided that it must have been an attack on you. To recap, I said yes, the contractor should have asked, but personally I would have said yes and would think anyone else would have said yes also if asked, assuming the port-o-potty and its fees would go away. I do not find a toilet or the idea of a workman using my plumbing objectionable. I referred to previous posts in which posters (not you, although you seem to ascribe everything I say to you personally) stated they objected to workmen using their facilities, and how I find that disrespectful. My opinion on that has not altered.

It is OK that we feel differently. It is not OK that you keep putting words in my mouth.

I just went back and checked, 13 people "liked" my original response, so clearly I am not a lone wolf here...

• lucidos
    7 years ago

It stands to reason that if something happens during your daily visits that you are concerned about or questioning that you would contact the GC and discuss it immediately. This was wrong on his part for not asking and on your part for not making mention of the fact at the onset.

On the many renos I have been part of there is always a communication book. This book serves as written documentation of progress, resolutions and questions. It may behoove you, as the cosmetic work approaches, to institute one.

The book has saved hours and untold frustrations and reworks. For instance, if you know the kitchen tile is being laid you can draw the pattern or print a picture for the tile layer to refer to. Never take anything for granted and don't expect crystal balls.

This tile is centered at the sink which is a focal point.

This is not

Take nothing for granted, question everything that irks you and be clear and immediate.

The team approach to doing this project is tantamount. The issue being your original has been construed as elitism.

pbutler111 thanked lucidos
  • pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

susanalanandwrigley wrote: "Once again, I answered your original questions in my original post. I am sorry you were disappointed with my responses and have decided that it must have been an attack on you. To recap, I said yes, the contractor should have asked, but personally I would have said yes and would think anyone else would have said yes also if asked, assuming the port-o-potty and its fees would go away. I do not find a toilet or the idea of a workman using my plumbing objectionable. I referred to previous posts in which posters (not you, although you seem to ascribe everything I say to you personally) stated they objected to workmen using their facilities, and how I find that disrespectful. My opinion on that has not altered.

It is OK that we feel differently. It is not OK that you keep putting words in my mouth.

I just went back and checked, 13 people "liked" my original response, so clearly I am not a lone wolf here..."

Okay, thanks for the update. 13 people -- you make 14, I guess -- agree that you're a saint for allowing folks to use your toilet. I couldn't be happier for you. I do hope you post several more times about how much better you are than I am in all things toilet-related.

• pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lucidos wrote: "It stands to reason that if something happens during your daily visits that you are concerned about or questioning that you would contact the GC and discuss it immediately. This was wrong on his part for not asking and on your part for not making mention of the fact at the onset.

On the many renos I have been part of there is always a communication book. This book serves as written documentation of progress, resolutions and questions. It may behoove you, as the cosmetic work approaches, to institute one."

Thanks! What a good idea! Wish I'd heard it a year ago! Email trails are great, but this would be fabulous for all those in-person conversations where decisions are made but with nothing remaining for later verification.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

Oh for goodness sake, you are hopeless. Your hyperbole is out of control. I clearly never called myself a saint or better than you. It is you who keep ascribing things to me - and many other posters that have never been said. The chip on your shoulder is the size of Montana.

It is up to you to communicate your wishes and concerns with your GC. You said (in that original post which you are convinced I never read) that you saw the toilet there (before installation) and thought it odd but didn't bother to ask about it. Then you saw it installed and instead of having a civil conversation about it with the GC, expressing your concerns, you came here for validation that you were being taken advantage of. Then when not everyone agreed with you, you started attacking them and putting words in everyone's mouth.

It would behoove you to get off this thread and on the phone with the GC, if you have not yet addressed this with him.

And for goodness sake, stop assuming that everyone with a different opinion than yours is your enemy. What a tiring way to lead your life.

• hatetoshop
    7 years ago

Wow -- ask a simple, valid question and suddenly people assume you're some kind of monster who is looking for a fight ("last word" indeed -- it's pbutler's thread and she can darn well post as many times as she likes).

I'd be a bit put out if I found a toilet in the middle of the space, with no advance warning. I'm not even sure I'd say yes because I'd be worried someone would be using the facilities when I decided to drop by the site. And these guys are used to port-a-potties on extensive renos.

Suggesting that Pbutler give them donuts, water, coffee, etc. doesn't have anything to do with the question (other than they'd be using the toilet more often because of her kindness).

Ask the GC why he did this, and tell him to remove it if it does bother you. I would not blame you if you did. Good luck!

pbutler111 thanked hatetoshop
  • susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

hatetoshop, she can post as many times as she likes, but if she is going to continually personally attack me, she can expect the same in return. Her posts to me are so out of line, so out of proportion, and so in fantasy land in the things she ascribes to me, that I do feel the need to set the record straight. And by the way your advice to her is the same as mine, although she clearly has decided otherwise.

pbutler, sorry, not my religion. And frankly it is you that keep putting on the holier-than-thou airs. Have yourself a happy day.

• pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Really? Because your "advice" sounded an awful lot like singing your own praises while suggesting that I'm treating the GC's subs badly, all delivered in the form of a general chastisement to everyone who isn't you:

"I get the impression that some people forget that the crew are people too, and making their lives easier not only helps the job get done faster and better, it is just the right way to treat people. There was another thread a while back about someone up in arms over a worker using the bathroom while on a job.

Really, people, treat your workers with respect, they deserve it! Of course they should be respectful of your property and leave it in the same shape they found it in, like any guest in your home, but I would never think twice about a workman using a toilet in my home, new or old, and I'd prefer that to having a port-o-potty on my premises during a reno."

Hatetoshop talked about my situation; you talked about you. Maybe that's the difference.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

Once again, no, I specifically talked about your situation, and then moved on to talk about situations that other posters have discussed regarding toilets. It was a logical segue. Logic does not appear your strong point, though, nor reading comprehension. Funny, because my advice - that it was odd, and you should discuss with your GC - seems to be along the lines of what you wanted to hear, but you continue to be unable to listen to that.

Curious, though - putting the animosity aside - how did your GC respond when you expressed your concerns? Has he agreed to remove either the toilet or not charge you for the port-o-potty?

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

Answer - I'd be p!ssed. (see what I did there?) Your house, they should have asked.

Related anecdotes - During install of a very expensive front porch (including structural upgrades cuz the house was literally falling down), one guy kept going down the path into the woods. I knew he was using the woods as a toilet, but I decided it was his problem, not mine. We giggled about it.

During the kitchen reno - to the studs - we specifically designated a bathroom and asked them not to hire a porto-john. I didn't want to waste the money. We have 9 bathrooms, it was easy to spare one. We also asked them not to clean up at the end of the day - we wanted all hourly $$ to go to the construction, not sweeping dust that would be remade the next day, or storing tools that would have to be set up again the next day.

pbutler111 thanked auntthelma
  • pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

susanalanandwrigley I think the ship has pretty much sailed on me being interested in having a conversation with you about this or anything else. Remember 15 hours ago, when you said you were moving on?

"I haven't read all the posts since mine but I've read enough to see that the OP is only looking for validation, not alternate opinions or helpful suggestions, so I for one will move on. Best of luck with your project."

Those were the days! We were so young and full of hope!

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

I agree I failed to move on. But I really am interested in the resolution of your dilemma. I always think it is interesting to hear the follow up.

• pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

auntthelma wrote: "Answer - I'd be p!ssed. (see what I did there?) Your house, they should have asked.

Related anecdotes - During install of a very expensive front porch (including structural upgrades cuz the house was literally falling down), one guy kept going down the path into the woods. I knew he was using the woods as a toilet, but I decided it was his problem, not mine. We giggled about it."

Well, we do have a park on the northwest corner of our property. I could prop a ladder against the fence and hang a sign in the tree:

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

Most men I know would prefer the woods to either a porto-pot or an exposed toilet.

• pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll alert the Parks Department!

• Longbranchstitch
    7 years ago
    Pbutler - you have had a great sense of humor amid the absurdity of parts of this thread. Good luck to you in completing the rest of your reno.
    pbutler111 thanked Longbranchstitch
  • wantsideas
    7 years ago

No that is not standard to install a toilet especially when there is a port o potty on site. He should have discussed it with you in advance. Ask him why it was installed and go from there based on his response.

When our house was being built my husband visited the site after the workers had left for the day. This was prior to mandatory port o potty. The house was framed but no drywall or fixtures installed at this point. He went into the master closet area and found a construction bucket that someone had left after using it for number two. At the time I felt like the closet was tainted forever but can laugh at it now. Building and remodeling is stressful.

pbutler111 thanked wantsideas
  • Gina Haffie
    7 years ago
    Wantsideas -- Oooh geezers! Oiy! I think that can happen even with a porto potty ..
    I'm glad it gives you a giggle now.

I was looking at houses to buy and the seller had a bucket like that in his basement! That was a surprise for realtor as well!!!
  • lucidos
    7 years ago

As a note:

The communication book should be a std black and white composition book.

(This way pages can not be torn out or added.)

Images can be stapled right in the book.

Anything not resolved/answered should be noted the next day so no one has to flip through 100 pages. This can be done with a post it tab.

Taping images or instructions to walls where they will be needed and seen is something that I have also done.

Make sure you know where things will align and end up. For instance, many an air grate placement or switch placements can present decor and usage issues.

pbutler111 thanked lucidos
  • pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

puremichigan60 wrote: "Had to peek back in, it's too absurd and I love absurd! pb, you've let us know about your work schedule, you know 9-5, can't leave work etc. When I'm at work I'm not firing off diatribes about, well.... anything. That you're still here carrying on a useless back and forth is hilarious."

What you do or don't do at work is irrelevant to me, just as every comment you've posted has been irrelevant to this thread.

• anniebird
    7 years ago

My thought on the drama - I like that you stand up for yourself, pb. This thread has attracted keyboard warriors and has been a textbook example of an "internet pile-on". People have a dreadful tendency to make ill-informed and unkind judgements about others from behind the safety of a computer monitor. You punch back and make that sting a little bit for those who indulge in it - good for you.

pbutler111 thanked anniebird
  • auntthelma
    7 years ago

I'm actually hoping for more funny contractor toilet stories. Can't we go just a little OT?

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

Oh My - This has become hilarious!!! Toilet War!

• Gina Haffie
    7 years ago

Anticpiation.... what was mentioned to GC and how does the untidy-mystery-tiolet dilemna unfold?

• penray
    7 years ago

My first thought after reading "behind on the schedule" and "toilet installed" was....They sure have made themselves comfortable :)

• User
    7 years ago

I frequently specify a temporary sink for a kitchen redo, or a temporary toilet for a bath redo. It depends on the circumstances. The use of the temporary facilities is for both the contractor and homeowner.

It is not a negotiable point that my workers be allowed use of the home's facilities. If the renovation is so extensive that no facilities are available, of course, that is when the ADA port o John is delivered to the site. I specify an ADA John because, you would if you ever had to spend any time in one. It is better for the ladies in the crew as well.

• kmkane123
    7 years ago

unbelievable

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

@puremichigan--scratching head here at who the "absurd one is." You are the one with pie on your face, lol. You came back and posted! Hilarious!

You have picked on other threads and/or posters once things turn away from your point of view. Your first mode is attack, not understanding. Waving...Hi!

Sociology--that answers a lot of my questions. Mmm hmmm. Lol. All of you insecure power and control freaks are a riot, lol. If you had not have bragged about coming back and posting, nobody would have been any of the wiser. But you posted, and thus revealed your insecurity.

As the saying goes, curiosity killed the cat...meow! And human nature is frickin' priceless. Score one for the sterotypes, lol.

Absolutely unbelievable and hilarious.

• pbutler111
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It does seem kind of odd that a business person would show up on random Houzz discussion threads just to troll. It doesn't really speak very well of your professionalism, not to mention maturity level.

• ajrmcr
    7 years ago

I have been watching this thread since this morning.

I am the daughter of a now retired tradesman. My Dad worked in the trades for over 40 years. I ran this dilemma by him and he said that there is nothing inhumane about a port a potty. In fact, the unpleasantness of it tends to keep visits quick.:) So, a vote of support here from both of us. I'd be displeased by the newly installed toilet, especially given the long delay in the project completion.

My question, have they done anything to protect your floors in the newly tiled bathroom? Dust, dirt, works boots aren't a good mix for new tile and grout. Maybe this is an angle you could use for removing the toilet.

Also, as a way to meet them halfway, maybe you could do what another poster suggested and add a handicapped port o potty to give them extra room if necessary?

Good luck! What a stinky situation.:)

• User
    7 years ago
    Are you working with a designer who acts as your project manager? If you are not, I highly recommend a designer to keep things moving forward. Time is money.
    The toilet would not bother me one bit. You're not living there yet.
  • Anne Cho
    7 years ago

your was pretty lucky that they install their own toilet instead of using the new one - that's what happened to us. we was upset about it but in the long run to make them convenience for them to use when it was very cold. we just had to clean. they even had all there clothing to change. making our place like their own. we slowly realized if we was in the contractors shoes.. so it kinda help. BTW your place looking very nice

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.