jamesrscott

Side return extension with side access dilemma

jamesrscott
7 years ago

Hello,

We are planning a side return extension (plus 1m added to the depth of the existing building) but have a key question around the access from the shared alley way.

Photos below show the current floorplan and that proposed by an architect. The proposal creates a useless external courtyard that is only accessible from the front of the house/street. It's the courtyard I have a problem with!

Beyond creating a bigger kitchen/diner with a small living area my objective is:

'Connecting' the kitchen with the reception room perhaps via internal doors (ie bring the courtyard inside the property) giving 2 access points to the new kitchen. I feel this would create a feeling of space and a flow from front to back while allowing us some segregation/distinction between the two areas.

One option for this internal courtyard is a small lobby that has access to outside, the reception room and the kitchen. We could potentially have access to the WC here to and block up the existing door in the hallway but that could get cluttered.

The architect argued that having access to the kitchen from the courtyard costs a lot of useful kitchen space and could be a hazard depending on the layout of the kitchen.

We would like to retain the downstairs WC (currently houses gas/elec meters and fusebox) and I suggested moving it under the stairs. The architect was cold on this idea based on a quick cost/benefit reasoning which kind of made sense. I'm not sure the WC needs to move in order to achieve my objective of connecting the front and back of the house.

Quite a few houses on our street have side return extensions but have gone with the external courtyard, mostly with a door in to it from the kitchen.

Does any one have an ideas or examples of where people have creatively solved this sort of problem? I just feel like I'm being shown 'off the shelf' solutions and there has to be a better way.

Any thoughts, advice, links or images would be massively appreciated!

thanks,

James.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.