lucinda_dawe

Options for privacy (blocking out a neighbour)

Lucinda Dawe
7 years ago

We have a very strange and nosey neighbour who delights in making us feel uncomfortable by standing on her balcony and watching our 3 children (and often their friends) in the spa. She sometimes yells out that they're being too noisy. At midday on a Saturday?? Anyway, we planted some bamboo on the boundary for some privacy but she keeps hacking it down when we're not home. So we planted a young tree 3m in from the boundary, far enough away that she couldn't touch it, to eventually grow and give us some privacy. Or so we thought. She has been poisoning it. The side that faces her balcony is going brown and branches are dropping off.

What are our other options to stop her looking into our property? Her balcony is very high, probably about 15ft. Our garden is lower down. Any normal person would put a screen at the end of their balcony for some privacy themselves! But she obviously loves being able to see us and watch us all day. Weirdo. We have lots of glass along the front of our house so she can see straight in too. It's unnerving, but I don't like having the curtains & blinds shut all day.

We thought of more shade sails. We have one already for spa shade but it isn't blocking her out. Also, it gets very windy here and the shade sail flaps around a lot which is dangerous.

Council probably wouldn't let us build a very high timber privacy screen.

Any ideas? Sorry for the long post! I think I needed to vent as well as ask advice ;)

Comments (26)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.