e11ie

Sofa etiquette or how to deal with generous neighbours

Luciana
7 years ago

Help!! Seriously, I desperately need some advice, as I have no idea how to deal with this.

I came home yesterday to find a sofa in my kitchen. Hubby reported that our neighbour (let's call her Kate) stopped him as he was coming from the gym and told him she wants me to have this sofa and could he please get it now - the silly man didn't argue, he just picked it up and brought it home (!!?!!)

Now, Kate is a great lady, I love her! she's quite bonkers, loud and exuberant, she really is a character (in the best possible way!!). We are not close, but quite friendly, chatting weekly; she told me a few weeks ago she wants to re-do her basement and called me over to give her some advice. I noticed that little sofa in a corner and told her 'it's lovely' and she should try to incorporate it in her new design. Kate has lovely (inherited) furniture, as well as some exquisite Asian pieces from when she lived abroad.

Clearly, she decided not to keep the sofa and to give it to me without asking if I want it... and I don't, as we don't have room for it and it doesn't fits our style at all.

Stupid me, yesterday instead of going over and ask her how come I'm the new owner of a love sofa, I grabbed the bouquet of flowers I'd just bought, a bottle of bubbly and went over to say thank you. She was on the phone when she opened the door, said quickly something like 'you are welcome, sweetie' and telling me 'she'll be coming around to see where I put it', before I even managed to say two words.

Seriously, what am I supposed to do with a (lovely but unwanted) piece of furniture. I know she won't have it back... can I just listed on Freecycle or see if some other friends may want it (although I don't think so). How do I get rid of that sofa without hurting her feelings ... help!!!

Comments (20)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.