sparklybloom

Help with ideas for layout of new kitchen extension

Jade Byng
7 years ago
We're going to have our kitchen extended. I've attached (not very neat) plans of the current layout and available space once extension is complete. The pantry is an under the stairs cupboard with a window in it which currently houses food, less frequently used appliances and cleaning items such as vacuum and mop. Also houses gas and electricity meters. I am open to having this removed if it means a better layout but it has a sloping ceiling at the side where stairs begin to descend.

We currently have very slim sliding patio doors which open onto the garden. There is a conservatory attached on one side and a brick built shed on the other, so despite our kitchen being south facing, it is often dark. We are going to knock down the shed and put in much larger doors. Considering putting in a picture window to keep the light and reduce amount of doors needed to keep costs down. Also hoping to put in some skylights in the new part.

I would like to fit a utility room and downstairs loo into this space. I would prefer to have those at the top of the plan so they don't block the view of the garden. I would also like to have a kitchen island as well as a larger dining table. The piano is included in the plan as it needs to stay in this room, it's roughly 1.4m long. Doesn't necessarily need to be exactly where it is, but preferably not too close to cooking areas. It is a digital piano so no issues with heat/steam and tuning.

Do you think there is a chance of fitting all of those things into this space? Kitchen island is not a must have, just seemed to make sense if the kitchen will be quite wide. I will be approaching architects but would like to get some ideas first. I am really struggling to imagine how it could look or where cooking/dining areas could be placed.

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.