racyte

Help! All ideas welcome. How can I make this work?

racyte
11 years ago
Buying this house. Want to take out bow window so the add-on doesn't look like what it is: an add on! The floors are three different materials. How can you envision the finished project? what and how would you tie it all together?

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Taking out the window will be great. Verify that nothing is going on from a structural standpoint as this window area appears to have been an exterior wall at one time. The flooring differences is a real problem. Is it possible to extend the flooring by the fireplace all the way through into the bay window room,,,,,,or the other way around? Then you are are only dealing with 2 floors and that would be okay because it appears the tile room is sunroom. Either way in the big living space the floors need to be the same.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    looks like one poorly designed extension of some sort. Agreed with continuing with the same floor material throughout.
  • Related Discussions

Workshop challenge - how do I make a big space work and look smart

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi. It's difficult to say without knowing exactly what the business requirements are. What flooring is down atm as I would go for large concrete effect tiles to minimise flooring costs? Add rugs for texture plus if you need to work on the floor? I would divide the area so you have a work area and a seating area with kitchenette. Use industriał style dividers or bookcases to split the space. Colours will need to be light for working so maybe a very pale grey or white for walls but use dark blue or charcoal velvet for a sofa with maybe a leather chair. I assume the other end of the room is the same? I would build cupboards with shelves ŵall to ceiling, deep enough to hold fabric ( I might be tempted to paint these in a charcoal though!). Maybe look at a library ladder for reaching the top shelves. I'd buy an enormous old desk in wood and leather, have a look in antique shops for the double style desks. You can buy large vintage filing cabinets for any buttons, threads etc ( there's an antique shop in long melford which sells cabinets and desks if you're close to suffolk!) Use a large pendant light in the seating area with floor lamps but maybe look at the industriał style track lighting for the working area combined with task lights for the desk. You could also add mirrors to bounce the light
    ...See More

I can’t see how this will all work....

Q

Comments (8)
    What if you put the seating area/tv where the kitchen is in your current plan i.e. create a snug. Put the the kitchen along the opposite wall with an island in the middle-ish of the room i.e. where Jonathon has suggested TV/books in his plan. The table and chairs on the other side of island i.e where Jonathon has suggested in his plan. Could that work with your space/measurements?
    ...See More

How to make this space work... help please!

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello. I think there are a fair few options here so you are probably best looking for a layout package with a concept planner who can give you a few options for space - giving you some options to consider and to see what is possible. When I create these, I use your plans to create 2D and then 3D plans so you can get a real feel for space - it's often much easier to understand the space in 3D. For me personally, I would start by moving the bedroom door into the hallway, so the bedrooms entrances are opposite each other. I would add the door to the open-plan space ( as above) opposite the main front door to maximise those spaces and keep the bedroom area contained. You could then increase the bathroom slightly to add a shower in and create an open plan area with the rest. Or you could move the bathroom entirely to then keep the larger open plan area looking on to the patio. As concept planners, I usually look at a lot of detail to create your plans - for example how big does your kitchen need to be? what is missing from the bathroom now? Where does the plumbing run and what walls can be removed? How do you use the space? We look at all this and more to enable us to design three layouts for your space that work for you with your budget and with the property. Best of luck.
    ...See More

Enclosed Porch Design - all ideas welcome...

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all...first time query and hope someone can offer inspiration! I'd like to add a small porch on to my main entrance( which is at the back of my 170msq house and is north-facing) and I've attached a photo of it as it is now. The house is an ICF building with a standard, off-white render finish. Facing the door, 9m behind the house is a newly constructed timber finish garden office, using the same dark-green window frames. I plan to enclose the yard with timber-fencing to form a vaguely courtyard-feel... My question: I think a 3x2m (ish) size enclosed flat-roof porch with some render, some timber, and dark-green window frames could work well .....but I'd like someone with a designer/architect's eye to give me a steer in the right direction. All help welcome thanks
    ...See More
  • racyte
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, thanks for the comments. I also had in mind continuing the lighter wood floor all the way out. If it is a structural wall we could leave a post. The doors would be eliminated also. Any specifics you might add?
    Really need fresh eyes on this. :-)
  • PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I think removing the doors is a great thought. When you remove all of these details and if you have to add wood trim/moldings around the openings please tie or trim all of the opening as a complete thought. The more you can group these elements together the stronger the image will be. From the fireplace across to the stained cabinet niche should be treated as trim or even finished in gyp. board. But start grouping up all of these different elements together. There is way to much going on in these rooms.
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    11 years ago
    I agree to everyone's suggestions. Paint all the trim the same and make it consistent in size, including crown, tray trim, and built-in. Get rid of the fan, please - at least replace it with something much less dated. I would develop a color scheme you love and have elements of the same color scheme for all the 3 spaces.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You can tie the rooms together with design styles of furnishings, color, textures and accessories. I think you need to decide how the rooms will be used, possible future furniture and accessories and then decide if the structure is all wrong.
  • PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    @ LB Interiors, I could not disagree with you more. Looking through windows into another room is an add on and it looks like an add on. I believe you have to design and not decorate. Sometimes you have to remove the bad to make it better. I don't like spending a client's money but in this case the structure of the room must be put in order before proceeding with the pretty things. Sorry to disagree.
  • rouxb
    11 years ago
    I envision a living room, a TV room (with the windows left in place) and a game (pool table) room. I type of flooring, at least in the living and TV rooms. It shouldn't be too difficult to match that wood. I would update the ceiling fans to something more contemporary-and matching. Too bad the fireplace was painted. Would have loved to have seen it in its original state.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    @Oeillien. That's okay, I still see it and feel it differently. My viewpoint is that I would have some kind of window treatment on the bay windows to slightly contain the totality of the see-thru view. I was envisioning the room more finished and looking further into the possibilities. I was incorporating, design, structure,decorating and function all at once,
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    11 years ago
    Assuming you're wanting to make all three rooms into one and are not thinking of replacing your bow window with yet another set of doors, I'd ask your architect how the openings could be enhanced (and structurally supported) by the use of architectural columns (search photos of same on this site for ideas.) And yes, agreed, same floor treatment throughout.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 years ago
    Taking out the floor and replacing with the same floor everywhere else.....I'd rather have dry wall frankly than that set of windows.
  • racyte
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    WOW! Thanks, I appreciate your comments. There are many ways to look at this dilemma. I think I am lucky to have them discussed here :-).I get the rough estimate tomorrow so we will see what kind of $$$ is involved.
    I must admit I am really stuck as to how to organically separate the spaces once the bow window is removed and replace the tile flooring. The whole thing just feels weird w/ or w/o the "add on look".
    Anyone else like to give it a go? LOL. Keep those ideas flowing please. :-)
  • racyte
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't know whether to thank you or not Cozy Casita! :-) I'm now rethinking making all three rooms into one and keeping it separate instead. What would you suggest in place of the bow window? I'd like to keep it somewhat open but separate, as in I would not consider putting a solid wall up.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    I believe you can unite these three areas, I suggest not removing the window to close it up, but instead keep an opening with the same width of doors as the other opening. This still allows the light to come through into the rooms. I would keep the sun rooms floor in tile, and then use a darker wood for the two other rooms.

To really make this work, the rooms all need to relate in style and colours. For example in the sun room, on the light tile floors, have some rich warm brown wicker or wood furniture. The wood colour will relate to the adjoining rooms floors. Choose a light linen sofa for the living room and perhaps the same linen for the dining rooms chairs. Choose your accent colour and pull through the shrooms in art, rugs, accessories, etc.

Hope that gives you something to think about.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    A picture is worth a thousand words...
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Without knowing what your design preferences are, these are example only of how to create a colour story when there are three different rooms. You could use these suggestions with any style as long as the rooms relate. Just remember to add the colour if choose to use neutrals on the main pieces.
  • yonube
    11 years ago
    Taking the windows down will make it darker... What if you frost them? It will create a separation with light. Huge spaces end up needing to be separated anyway.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    11 years ago
    I like the way Susan has picked conservatory, lounge and dining furniture all of the same style - strongly recommend you do the same - regardless of wether you choose all open or separate rooms - this and same flooring and mouldings will help re bond the add on in my opinion too !
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    I agree with Susan Mills' concept. As I suggested above, the rooms will come together with choices of furniture and using window treatments, colors, texture, design style, and accessories that work well together to create the unification of the three rooms with other variations to also have the rooms become separate through function.
  • PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Good Morning, I come from a different point of view on issues like these. My firm designs larger spaces and I prefer projects that are open. I think if you are going to spend any money on this project you need to consider how to get away from the add effect of these three rooms. Anytime and I stress anytime you are looking from a room into another room with glass in between you and the other room you are looking at an add on. I would not spend a dime on window covering and all of these decorating solutions until you fix the problems. Hire a professional in your area to assist you with combining these areas into one. You can still define these areas differently by the way the ceiling bulk heads, headers, beams, supports and etc. can help you define these areas when the space is oened up. But, get some professional help and there could be professionals in our area that have their work on this site. I think it is important to see if you align with a professionals point of view by studying their project pages. Good Luck. This is a difficult area but when you get this opened up it is going to be great space.
  • zhangqitao
    11 years ago
    I agree withsusan's concept
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Thank you zhanggitao, this home does not need much to become an interesting functional space. Just well thought out before anything is purchased and a revision from window to "doorway".
  • PRO
    Woodworks Refinishing
    11 years ago
    A good way to tie the spaces together is definitely with the flooring. I would rip out that marble brown laminate and replace it with wood flooring to match the existing hardwood.
  • rouxb
    11 years ago
    Oellien Designs-I would challenge the "always" aspect of glass between rooms indicating an addition comment. I grew up in a 1928 Spanish Colonial Revival home in Los Angeles. My second floor bedroom had glass doors and windows on to a sleeping porch (continuous windows on the top half of the porch). It was part of the original architecture. My best friend as an adult moved into a similarly aged home in Los Angeles that had an original sun room with french doors leading from both the living and dining rooms. Just out of college I lived in a charming cottage in Santa Barbara that had an original room with glass and doors between it and the family room. None of these were open porches that had been enclosed-they were all original construction. There are examples of this all over L.A.
  • PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    @ Rouxb,,,,,,It is one thing to have a pair of doors with glass, then tto have windows, looking into windows. I get the whole enclosed porch idea but you typically have a sense of that porch idea with the proportions of the room. We use glass doors to divide off spaces all the time, but I don't have fixed windows looking into other rooms. So, I agree but not all the way.
  • PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Okay......now I have to disagree with myself. I'm sitting in my office and I'm looking at the full wall of glass with a solid door looking out into our architectural offices. I guess I think of these concepts differently in commerical spaces versus residential spaces. But,,,,,,now I'm thinking again.
  • rouxb
    11 years ago
    @Oellien Design- Human difference and "style" is unending and that difference often shows up in architecture. That is why there are so many wonderfully (and insanely) unique and quirky spaces in the world. My point is that absolutes will be proven to be wrong most of the time. My comment was not an endorsement of windows into rooms or any other style perspective, simply that not ALL rooms that have glass separating them from other rooms are add-ons. Some are original and intentional and crazy and charming and puzzling.
  • PRO
    Lights of Venice
    11 years ago
    You have nice size rooms, which will allow you to do lots. From a lighting designer prospective, I would remove the Ceiling fan in the room with the bay Window and also the recessed florescent box. very out dated. installing newer fixtures, will make the rooms look very different. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. good luck!
  • legends51
    11 years ago
    I think the bowed room is the add on.
  • PRO
    Lights of Venice
    11 years ago
    What is behind the curve window? Is the room air conditioned? The book shelf looks nice, a nice chandelier will help change the over all feel of the room tremendously. The bowed Window is nice, I would leave it alone, unless you have the budget to remove and open up the space.
  • racyte
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks again everyone: LB, Susan Mills, Oellien, et al. Houzz is such an awesome community!
    Also, Woodworks, it may look like marble brown laminate in the pi but it is cork flooring.
    Susan, Thank you for your efforts your selections are beautiful and right on target for my taste. Unfortunately, my other half is dead set against anything close to light linen or anything light that can get dirty easily. This is a losing argument for me unfortunately. We both need to agree and be happy with our space. Melding our two styles will be tricky in this house.
    So I hate to ask everyone again BUT I am getting bids back on safety issues that are blowing my budget and it's making me a little nervous that we won't be able to take out the bow window right away. It's a bit deflating and requires me to re-frame (pun intended!) my game plan and go on to plan B.
    *Here’s an even tougher question: What would you do if you couldn’t take out the window? UGH.
    I am flying to Dallas next week to go through the house again,(we haven’t moved yet), take more pictures and hit the streets looking for good deals to furnish these rooms.
    Know any good places in Dallas, for furniture etc? There are tons of places and I know I will love looking at everything. I just don’t have a focus. I could never get to them all and I have a tendency to like high end stuff but I need to look for BARGAINS so it would be great if any of you could give me some “secrets” ;-)
    Also, I am going to get more bids on things and compare. Know any good, reasonable re modelers?
    Cheers!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Racyte, your welcome. I do understand the concerns your husband has. He just needs to be informed. If you both like the look but the only concern ( besides budget) is how durable linen is in the long term, have a look at perennial fabrics. They look like linen, drape like linen, have everyone believe they are linen, however they can be used outdoors. RH has had such success with this fabric, as its washable, bleach able if something really awful happens such ink or red wine or mashed banana. It was originally made for outdoors to resist fading, shrinking, mil dewing, etc. check it out and see for yourself. RH does have clearance centres for returned goods, returns can be for many reasons, ordered incorrectly, a slight dent or scratch, distressing which exceeds the clients expectations. Many good bargains to be had. Do have a look at linen vs the perennial classic or textured linen weave. I prefer the textured myself as I find it almost identical to RH linen. Ask for a sample and test it yourself. I have done it for clients, with wine, jam, and bleach and it comes out fine.

I would also have a look on 1st Dibs, One King Lane, craigslist, furniture consignment shops, restore, , etc.

As far as what to do, if removing the window is not in budget right now, I would cover the window in very sheer linen. This would allow the light to filter through but mask the otherwise obvious window into room effect.
  • patjon
    11 years ago
    Get rid of the fan, match up the floors and woodwork to the family area, and frost the curved windows you would havea lovely dining area let in light and make a totally separate and private area for your sunroom
  • backbonemountain
    11 years ago
    Remove the glass between the posts. Keep the posts. Add a custom countertop that functions in both rooms. Under the countertop can become solid.
  • PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Good Morning.

You are moving to Dallas one of the greatest desgn centers in the US. We're in an out of Dallas all of the time because of the projects we are working on. Once you connect with a professional in the area you can use the entire Dallas design showrooms. Anything and everything is available in Dallas. A retail furniture store in Dallas is Gabberts.

I question I have failed to asked is do you have a pool or are you thinking of putting one in? You are moving to Dallas where everyone has a pool. Everyone has a budget and if you can't do anything with the bow windows then maybe it is best to do nothing at all right now. Keep the glass and keep the doors let that be a complete element. Design the tile room as a room that supports some exterior activity; hopefully a pool with some live plants and simple furnishings. Less is more and keep it light and airy.

The living/dining areas needs at least the same flooring between the rooms and since all of the trim in the fireplace area is painted do the same in the trim in the bowed window area. But if you are not going to do the bow window right now I'm not sure how to proceed with doing the floors because if the bow window goes away you would have to address the floors again even if you are just patching in the wood you would have to refinish everything again.

So, you're back to decorating a room. You are moving to Dallas where it gets every warm and has high humidity in the summer and you want fabrics that breath. @ Susan Mills has suggested a great direction in the room and I agree with her thoughts about using lighter fabrics like linen. We use lighter fabric all of the time and wearability and cleaning ability comes up in our conversations with our clients but we have ways to offset those issues. If you look at our project photos we have a residence called something like "A Tulsa Growing Family" and in the large living/dining room we used linen on the sofa's and the seat cushions for the sofa's are all a matching leather. To tie together the linen and the leather on the sofas all the welt cords are leather. Also look at a photo with a curved stained paneled ceiling that follows the lines of the segmented arched window because all of those furniture items supports the pool. The upholstery is all water proof Perinnal (based in Dallas) fabrics and so is the area rug. So, there are ways to use ligther fabrics and offset any durability issues.

Finally when shopping for furniture in the open retail market stay away from furniture that looks like it needs to go on a diet. Everything these days is overstuffed and a fat. I know people see overstuffed and that equals comfort or something,,,,,but look for tailored items. If the bowed window is the dining area then you need to remove the ceiling fan and replace that fixture with a stunning chandelier.

Take care and I hope this helps, have to run.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    It seems like my original comments still may work for you. I'd work with what you have, no major architectural changes due to budget constraint etc. It comes back to function and decorating the rooms according to their use.

Before you purchase any furniture it is very important to decide ....
    1. FUNCTION of the rooms
    2. WHO is using the rooms, ex: adults, children, animals?
    3. FLOOR PLANS for major furniture placements
    4. MEASUREMENTS of major furniture
    5. SHOP the decided floor plans
    6. Accessories and art are later.

P.S. While shopping ... If you alter the floor plans chosen, you may have to change other decisions to make the room work. It may become confusing and may become costly errors.
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    11 years ago
    I think, if it were me, I'd hold off committing to major purchases, until I DID have a 'focus'.

Decide first, whether the decision to leave the house 'as is' .. with regard to structural elements, is a very sort term, medium term or quasi permanent thing, then make decisions with regard to the proposed use of these rooms .. because this will (or should) influence your 'shopping list' and 'must have's'. Without knowing how you like to live, what you consider your personal style preferences to be, what size family you are, or even what the rest of the house looks like, I wouldn't want to offer 'advice' re decorating.

If the place were mine ... and part of a house whose other rooms and exterior spaces were similar to those I have imagined (for the purposes of 'fantasy decorating' these three interior spaces) I'd have no problem completing the task .... and even have some great ideas that nobody else has yet come up with .. :-) .... But the viability of these ideas depends on all of the factors mentioned above, the amount of work you want to take on yourself, plus the ever important 'budget' considerations !

Again, If I were you, I'd think about hiring a (vetted !) pro. to help direct your 'focus' . Getting input from a huge number of strangers is unlikely to aid concentration ! :-) If you do indeed intend to leave everything (structurally) as it is, opinions will vary wildly, as you have already seen, with regard to the best way of moving forward !

Many designer/decorators (myself included) would be happy to work with you 'remotely', if what you are looking for is a proposal that helps you create your furniture layouts/ colour schemes and offer 'shopping' alternatives (with links to sources). This allows you to make final decisions on your own specific choices and arrange installations for yourself, following what you would expect to be a pre-agreed and cohesive design. Alternatively, you could find a local pro (many are searchable right here on Houzz) if you feel you need help at closer quarters and a greater degree of project management. .... In any event, many offer free consultations, by phone, email or in person, to first establish that the chances of any collaboration are good for both parties and to agree on the basic pricing of services.

Good luck with your project ... whatever direction it takes !
  • PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hello again, I wanted you to know that Oellien Design, Inc. is located in Tulsa and just a 45 minute flight into Love Field. We are fully capable of assisting you with your project needs. Our technology based systems allows us to work remotely in all project phases. We are just beginning residential projects in New Haven Conn, Newport Beach CA and Keystone Co and can fully deliver all documents required for those projects. I would love the opportunity to discuss your project with you directly. Have a great weekend.
  • Kevin Retired Decorator
    11 years ago
    Keep the window and go for a atrium look add a fountain , Plants etc and have a perfect outdoor/ indoor room even in bad weather. Without major reconstruction , roofs etc.of all 3 rooms or more you will always have a flow design problem. By working with what you have your home could be sky lighted area could be great indoor courtyard feel.
  • Kevin Retired Decorator
    11 years ago
    By doing all the floors the same in the original part of the home it would unify the space then go with a outdoor tile and bamboo window coverings in the added space so it would start to create that outdoor room feel.
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    11 years ago
    Haha ! Kevin ! :-) .. Precisely the idea i had when first looking at the space ..... and one which I would have been delighted to have been hired to execute ! :-) I had a very similar situation in a home in Mexico and this, fountain included, was the way I resolved it. ... It was only a matter of time before the pro eye, retired or not (!) saw the obvious potential and offered the idea up, for free. :-)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Kevin, we're on the same page again. A great idea to add a fountain. Great description.
  • Anne
    11 years ago
    http://itsgreattobehome.net/2010/10/06/the-flip-fixing-the-floor-plan/ This web site shows how another family handled a similar situation.
  • Odette
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of the same flooring on one level, throughout, and the dark timber idea seems lovely. I wonder how the variations in ceiling height will look, though.
    Could you possibly put a second 2-way fireplace in the middle of the bow window, openings either side, and leave the ceiling low in the cosy area.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.