tdharvey86

Acrylic Shower Splashback Thickness?

Charlie Spaniel
7 years ago

Looking at installing acrylic splashback walls in my shower, to save on maintenance costs, as opposed to tiling. Was initially stunned by the cost of the ones supplied by bigger names, selling the material in kits "specifically designed" for this sort of usage. I've since come across local plastic fabricators, whom will supply the acrylic I need at a much lower cost.

My question is, what thickness does the acrylic need to be? It tends to be sold in either 3mm or 5mm, with some companies saying it really needs to be 5mm, and, possibly more honest ones (?) saying 3mm is absolutely fine for a splashback (after all, it's not bearing any weight, other than itself).

If it makes a difference, it will be comprised of two panels, one w900 x h2600mm and the other w1400 x h2600mm.

Anyone have any thoughts / experience of this?

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.