miss_mud

Ikea kitchen finishing touches - what worktop and splashback?

8 years ago

Hi Houzzers

Hope you are well.

I am doing a full renovation (the sort where I have gutted out the whole flat!). The overall theme that I am going for is scandanavian meets industrial chic. I have an open plan kitchen and living area. (see picture below).

The kitchen is from Ikea (Voxtorp in white) and the plan is below. It's pretty small at 3.6*1.6m (L shaped)

The flooring will be quite light (think a French Oak colour - so pale and not yellow/warm)

Worktop

As much as I really badly wanted a quartz worktop, I cannot afford it at the moment.

Therefore, what should I go for?!

- laminate - where do I buy good laminate worktops from for an ikea kitchen? Which colour would you recommend?

- Ikea has a high gloss laminate that looks quite modern (I need the 3.8mm thickness) but I am wondering if going for high gloss laminate is a mistake due to scratches and also if it will be a little too modern.

Splashback

This is even harder! I want to keep it simple and modern. My qns:

- Should I put splashback on the entire kitchen or just the area behind the stove and maybe also underneath the window/near sink?

- Should I tile (see pictures below)?

Tiling options I like are... 60*60cm big tiles in like a light grey effect OR a matt white chevron) - see picture below...but worried that tiling a lot might bring the bathroom effect which is non-ideal for an open plan kitchen/living!

- OR I could also get a matt coloured or just white glass?

Your design advice is much appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

Miss Mud

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.