jsa3131

Mix of pitched and flat roof?

jsa3131
6 years ago

Hi,

Would appreciate some thoughts on this......

I'm planning a ground floor rear and side extension to this house (photo below). I'm extending the rear out by 3m and the side behind the garage up to the boundary. It's not a complete 'L shape-wraparound' however-the two extended elements will remain separate i.e. the front right (of this photo) will remain as patio (not sure if that's clear!)

The roof above the garage is going to be pitched (hipped) as this will be continuing around from the front of the house.

In terms of the side and rear extension what are people's thoughts on these options:

1. Flat roof for both rear and side.

This would work quite nicely to extend the roof as a kind of canopy over the patio area.

Could also have a nice roof lantern in the side which will be a dining room.

However I'm concerned that the pitch over the garage would look odd if the remainder is flat?

2. Continue the pitched roof all the way around.

Not keen on this as I think this would block too much light on the patio. Not sure though? Also would lose the scope to install a flat glass/lantern but could have roof lights into the pitched roof.

3. Mix of the two!?

Flat at the back- pitched on the side? This would mean the side roof would flow nicely from the front. Would this look odd?

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated! Aesthetics, cost, feasibility etc..

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.