italiana2

Fireplace renovation????

susan
6 years ago

We have our home for sale and feedback from agents is the brick on the fireplace is an issue. It is reclaimed brick and not solid red. The fireplace is approximately 20' tall floor to ceiling. The yellow tile has a slight crackle to it, all tile were hand made including the blue floral accents.

The walls area deep plum. Adjoining walls are sedate gray. I am not adverse to painting out the plum walls but hesitate on the brick.

The brick is also on a staircase (front of stairs) with steps

matching the fireplace mantle in wood and color. There is no room to just cover the brick on the stair fronts.

If we whitewash the brick on fp should we also do the stairs, you do see both fp and staircase near each other.

I have included two photos, one of just the fp. the other as the room is arranged.

Any thoughts on what to do here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! Sue

Comments (30)

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

If I was looking at this home I would know that I would be repainting the walls. Although I do my own painting, I would know I would probably need to hire someone due to the tall ceilings - not a deal breaker, but a concern. I don't dislike the brick, though the very dark cement isn't my favorite. I like the tile. Overall, I would be looking at how this home compares in many ways to similarly priced homes - more than just decor or "datedness" - but age of systems, layout etc...

susan thanked jhmarie
  • susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you. We are located on an island and most homes are one off designs. Buyers, I guess, look at price and type of location. Privacy etc.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Do you have a photo of the stairs?

Are there any other comments from the showings, for example, about the paint colors? If the island's recently sold comparable listings are full of light gray paint with marble kitchens, how does yours compare?

susan thanked apple_pie_order
  • susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sales here are all over the board. I am not seeing anything in solds that would help. here is link to our listing.

www.windermere.com/listing/wa/san-juan-island/164-shorett-dr-98250/42425310/gallery

You can get a good feel for the property. It is an amazing location and top notch construction. Some of what has sold need complete rehab and have been purchased due to location and site. We are the lowest price home with a dock that does not need rehab. I can't figure it out as to why it has not sold. Maybe we need to raise the price??

Appreciate your input!!!!

• PRO
    Candace Plotz Design
    6 years ago

I think that you can make the brick work, however I'd suggest changing the tile on the fireplace. I think a bold cement tile would look fabulous. Here are some inspiration photo's. You could leave the brick as is, or paint it white.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Holy moly what a spot. We have visited your lovely San Juan Islands and it is magical! I can't imagine paint color being a limiting issue. My guess is it is your price. Is your price per square foot in line with comps in this area or on the high side? I would explore that.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    In the photo with the table and chairs it seems that helps tone down the fireplace. The fireplace is very specific. I think a light pale yellow on the walls instead of the plum would help quite a bit. It is always useful to try to remove buyer's excuses. But pricing seems to be biggest factor in this economy.
    susan thanked Flo Mangan
  • apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

The 30% smaller house next door seems to have sold for half the price last year. Do you think that is the comp that buyers are using? Or do they think your house is more similar to the two houses that zillow found nearby that sold for ~$1.2M in the last year? The oddness of the brick chimney and staircase is not going to make the difference between those two price ranges, so it's essential to re-evaluate what the comps are that the active buyers who have seen your house are using. Your agent can directly ask the buyers' agents to get clear feedback about the price of the house and what they expect of a house in that price range.

Consider taking it off the market for a couple weeks, then relisting with a new price after making a few changes. You could repaint most of the rooms in a warmer color (lightest greige such as Edgecomb Gray), replace the floral master bedroom carpet with a luxurious off white carpet, and paint the red brick staircase and fireplace the same white as the trim. The professional photographer did a great job, I'd hire that pro again for new photos.

susan thanked apple_pie_order
  • susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow! all the great ideas. Removing the FP, while it would open the room more, buyers in the PNW area want and need a fireplace.

Painting the walls a lighter color is definitely an easy choice to lighten up the area. Love the idea of the concrete tile to cover the yellow tile.

As to the house next door, yes, it did sell at premium price as the buyer wanted the dock and wanted to be on this specific bay.

It is almost impossible to obtain a permit for a dock in the islands. The house(cabin) is really a scraper. The lot size is double mine.I would not consider next door a good comp.

According to agents who have toured and shown our property, they feel it is priced right. I really think since there is still good inventory available to choose from, those homes with more waterfront or larger lots, even if needing rehab, seem to sell, but, not quickly. A year or more is not unusual.

I love the idea of removing the bedroom carpet. It is floral, wool & silk blend. I would keep the carpet for an area rug having it bound and maybe fringe.

So, looks like I have a plan. Paint the walls, cover the yellow tile, remove the bedroom carpet and replace with neutral carpet.

Thanks again everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

• Christy Reves
    6 years ago

What a lovely space. I think a big change with minimal cost and labor would be to simply change the mantle. The wood on the mantle does not necessarily have to match the stairs. Paint it in satin charcoal or even a shiny silvery grey like automotive paint. There just seems to be a lot of different wood tones and grains. You could paint the walls but regardless, few buyers like the existing color of the homes they are looking at and want to inject their own preferences. If I were living here I would paint it a rich teal or navy.

• susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What a great idea for charcoal or grey. I did think of creamy white matching the bookcase and french doors that flank the fp. but thought it might be too much of a contrast since brick has black grout. Need to get some paint samples and try them all!

Thanks for the input.

• andrea is sleepy
    6 years ago
    I actually think the brick looks fine in the picture with the table... it is the yellow tile that needs changed.
    susan thanked andrea is sleepy
  • mramsey
    6 years ago

It's a beautiful location and well kept house. I would suggest that you consider a few minor changes- in my view the brick on the fireplace(actually the whole fireplace) and brick on the stairs is an issue. It would be worth a quote to see what it might cost to build out (and over) the entire fireplace and replace it with a gas fireplace. The stairs would be a simple fix.

Then I would suggest that you hire a professional to stage the home. You have it nicely decorated to suit yourself, but the idea of staging is to appeal to the potential buyer.

Similarly, look to the yard with the eye of the buyer. Many people (myself included) love to garden and don't look on it as work, while others (many!) find the thought of maintaining a garden daunting.

It's hard to let go of some place that you have obviously put your heart into-good luck!

• RosemaryR
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Whitewash the brick on the FP and stairs. Personally I like the yellow tile surround. You have a lovely home, it just needs to find its new owner in its own time and they will make the improvements to suit their lifestyle, so don't go crazy. And a stager could help out too.

susan thanked RosemaryR
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Merely a photo, but what stuck out was the 'cherry' mantel - you might lighten the stain? The rest might fit your locale just fine. And I didn't mind it. The large boat art might work better lower on another wall idk. Good 'luck'...

susan thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

If your walls are anything like this Cinnamon Slate paint / as neutral as, ok?

Townhouse · More Info
    Townhouse · More Info

susan thanked everdebz
  • susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Please clarify, I don't understand your comment. Thanks!

• hummingalong2
    6 years ago
    It's beautiful!! I feel both the brick on the fireplace and the staircase are out of place with the rest of the design.
  • susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! What would you suggest they be changed to?

• everdebz
    6 years ago

If you mean me, susan, I read that you might paint the plum walls. Yours reminded me of the Cinnamon Slate [which I posted]. If your paint had enough neutral brown/slate in it, maybe you don't have to paint... that's all.

susan thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

What if expert altering of the brick to the tile color, lighter. And the wood mantel, also lighter, but more to match other wood.

susan thanked everdebz
  • susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

everdebz: yes the walls are plum, very similar to the Cinnamon Slate you mentioned. We can whitewash the brick, don't know what it would do to the dark grout?? And also paint out the mantel to creamy white which would match the trim/molding on the adjoining bookcase and baseboard. Leaving the tile as is. Do you think that would work? Thanks for your input.

• hummingalong2
    6 years ago

Stucco/smooth plaster..along the lines of this perhaps

h

• everdebz
    6 years ago

You mention 'whitewashing' [which I've never done] -- if by that, you mean the same hue family as the tile [which isn't really white], then yes I suppose that'd work.

You want the features to remain? and so the mantel shouldn't be white either, but maybe an earthy creamy beige, idk....something a bit darker than tiles are [which mantel usually is].

• everdebz
    6 years ago

In person, do you like the bottom brick and the tiles together? and the paint too?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

If you white wash or stain the brick. the grout will pick up a lighter tone as well. I think that would be quite worthwhile. along with wall color change. If you can get the proper type stain, and can stain the mantel (without removing it) a darker color, I think that would do a world of good. Then I would "stage" it with dining room furniture so it distracts from the fireplace, since that has gotten your main negative feedback. If it is a "buyers" market, then pricing is your main issue.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

... so the grout gets a good 'washing' too [with dry or wet brush, seems I've heard of both]....

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Just checking - because there are numerous bricks, visual / what about new larger tiles in hue family of the bricks? I say that partly cause [from here, and not close up] I'm not crazy about the blue accent tiles.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Is there adequate lighting so that a large amount doesn't look dark and foreboding? maybe the brick would be ok as it is....

with lighter neutral paint?

susan thanked everdebz
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.