josefinaboston

What to do with my stairs in my newly bought victorian house?

Josefina

I recently moved into my dream house in London - a victorian townhouse, two floors, semi-detached, 4 bed. As with all victorian two floor houses you come into a very narrow corridor followed by stairs leading up to the second floor almost immediately.

We are having all our floors in the house sanded (not leaving any carpets down) and they will be lightly white washed to give that Scandinavian feeling (I'm Swedish).

But we have decided that the stairs will cost us too much time and money to sand properly, so we want to paint them! We were thinking a darker navy blue - which we'll also paint our front door in, to make it match nicely.

Would appreciate any thoughts on painting stairs (including and banisters)! For example, should they be painted in a matt colour, eggshell or shiny, how many coats do you think is needed - and I presume we would need to get floor paint. Any brand recommendations welcome!