suzyr

garage update advice please

suzyr
6 years ago

We would like advice on how to update our garage into a cleaner storage are, i.e. what we can and can't do in terms of flooring, walls and ceiling. We plan to use it to house DIY equipment, hobby stuff and exercise equipment (bikes etc). The garage is attached to the side of our 30s semi and shares a party wall on the boundary with our neighbour's identical garage. The garage is single story and flat roofed and has bare rendered walls (house wall on one side, party wall of neighbour's adjoining garage on the other), a rough concrete floor and open joists to the flat roof. The garage door is an ancient (and faulty) metal up-and-over style which needs replacing. As we plan to keep the exterior looking like a garage we will need a new door, not sure though which would be best style. There is already a power supply in the garage, and we wouldn't need central heating or a water supply. Directly behind the garage, there is already a single-storey extension which extends out beyond the rear of the house to incorporate a wc/utility and a living/dining area. In addition to the garage update, we also need to replace the entire flat roof (covering both garage and the extension). Any advice on what is possible for the garage, pitfalls, planning, etc would be really appreciated. We don't plan to do the work ourselves. Also any advice on best styles of garage doors to maximise internal space and insulation. And finally flat roof materials (pro's/con's of the newer materials vs bitumen) would be wonderful.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.