camille_melanie

No idea on how to furnish our living room! Help on layout needed :)

C D
6 years ago
Hello,
Many thanks for reading my question.
We have been lucky to buy a house bigger that we hoped :)
However our old furniture seem inappropriate & quite small for the house and we are planning (along with lots of work and decoration) to change them. I am planning a bit head for our living room but I am stuck in terms of layout and I would really like some advices and suggestions.

The room is really big and is used both for gathering/discussion with family and friends (mainly weekends) and for watching TV (every day).
There is a fireplace (huge red brick monster at the moment) that will be keep as an open fireplace but change to a quite classic fireplace in style and more neutral/light colour.
Floor will be updated for light oak wooden floor.
Room will be replastered and repainted (out with the artex ceiling).
I have a good idea of colour and tone I would like: neutral and warm, grey/cream in country house style that match the period of the house 1920/1930.
Curtains will also be changed and the dark built-in shelves from previous owners will go too.

However I am completely at lost on the layout and what furniture to have and where.
I would ideally have 1 or 2 sofas, maybe couple of armchairs and a coffee table. We also have quite a big TV that I would like to make less proéminente, if possible, as I would prefer the fireplace as the focal point (There is second TV on pictures that will go) but the room still need to fonction as a TV room every evening.
I would something cozy and family friendly.
Any suggestion?
Many thanks!! :)

Below floor plan of the room, current pictures.

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.