mm128

Lounge Layout, Design and Furnishings

M M
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on decorating, furnishing and coming up with a lounge layout (a big ask I know!)

I've only really started and everything is a bit sparse at the moment. It's a victorian style property with high ceilings, a fireplace and a nice feature bay window. The floors are exposed pine. Currently the walls are a not very nice grey colour:

To get the ball rolling I decided on a chocolate brown leather chesterfield sofa. I like it but it is a little imposing and dark. I'm currently floating the sofa in the middle of the room ( not sure about this but giving it a go) I plan to add two armchairs. The sofa is about 2.3m

Layout and Furniture

I'm considering something like this: sofa in the middle facing the fireplace and indirectly the TV, with a chair either side or possibly the two chairs on the same side. There's not a separate dinning room so I'm planning to put a dinning table in the bay window area - a round one would fit nicely with lots of room without getting in the way of the rest of the room.

I'm open to alternative layouts or other suggestions. This layout creates a lot of empty space at the walls and corners. Not really sure how to fill this.

In terms of the two armchairs I'm looking for something that would complement the chesterfield without being too similar, something a bit more modern possibly and definitely fabric. Is it better to have two matching armchairs or use two different styles? I'm thinking something like:

What do you think? Open to other suggestions or ideas.

Room Colours

Currently the walls are a grey colour. I was originally thinking to repaint in grey but I'm not a big fan of the way it looks currently so I'm really not sure at all! Another option would be a rich dark blue but this might make the room too dark? But could possibly be a good contrast against the light floors. The room faces East so is generally bright.

The woodwork is currently unpainted pine/oak colour. I'm more likely than not to pain this white( currently looking a little too much like a pub) but may leave the panelling at the windows.

Thanks for any help! If more photos or information would help please let me know!

Comments (35)

• Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

The first thing my eye is drawn to is the proportion and placement of the two radiators. Could these by replaced by just one lower longer one? Also I would be inclined to put the sofa on the wall opposite the window to see the amazing view.

M M thanked Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Cheshme Deeme
    6 years ago

I agree with colourhappy. In addition,

1. Is there any way to open the door into the hall way outside rather than into the room?

2. Could you have low sitting in the bay window with a table in the middle. I would just love to sit there and enjoy a cuppa! ;) It would save you some space and no need for a wooden table. I feel there will be too much wood used.

3. High ceiling, I love that! You can work on a lovely chandelier to show off a beautiful feature of your room being your high ceiling.

4. For your single sofa, I would go with the blue one. Style and the colour goes well with your larger sofa. Then you are introducing blue in your room and perhaps need to have cushions either plain blue /mix of patterns with blue on your large sofa.

5. You could do with a large mirror, a coffee table, a side table and a nice plant . For your furniture, I wouldn't go with wooden type.

6. If you decide on the blue single sofas ( I would get two the same ones) then I would paint my floor to a soft grey and lay a small rug in front of the large sofa.

7. Your walls are great and you can use them effectively. As I mentioned before, a nice mirror, a nice picture will do justice to your room.

8. Colour wise, wait until you have your single sofas and then decide. You do not need to try very hard as it is already a lovely room with lots of features, gorgeous fire place, high ceiling, a bay window with wood and wooden flooring!

9. Whatever you decide, it will be a gorgeous room, I am sure!

Happy decorating! :)

M M thanked Cheshme Deeme
  • Related Discussions

New Sofa/Seating in lounge advice please - colours,styles, layout etc

Q

Comments (3)
    For the cushions you've chosen, I would buy modern sofa with clean lines in gray colour. The best place for sofa is the wall opposite the chimney breast and you can build the shelves on each side like on one of the pictures. Smaller sofa or two armchairs can be placed against the wall opposite the window. I would open the fire place and place there some wood blocks.
    ...See More

Interior Design Advice for Lounge / Dining Rooms

Q

Comments (8)
    I’m not sure if this is your kind of thing or what colours you like etc. I quite like the different blues together for the chair and sofa but the chair also comes in primrose and mustard. I’d add a yellow/mustard cushion/s for the sofa anyway. The coffee table is actually a burnished gold but the pic isn’t very good. I like the shelves idea, I’d add the chair here angled towards the sofa. The last pic is an Ikea hack of kitchen units just as an idea for the tv, their horizontal units should be about the right viewing height if floated. I’d have a floor lamp one side of the sofa and tray table and lamp the other. I’d probably just go a lighter shade of the wall colour for curtains but depends on chair colour etc. The cushion is from bluebell gray and they’ve got some lovely things if it’s your style
    ...See More

Odd layout reception room furnishing idea

Q

Comments (10)
    I don't think that the dimension of the wall on the right is correct? Anyway, I guestimated some dimensions, you'll have to check whether it will really work, but I think that this is a layout option: I've used this sofa (for dimensions) https://www.made.com/scott-2-5-seater-sofa-basketweave-amber
    ...See More

Design layout advice for a lounge leading into a ‘sunroom’.

Q

Comments (1)
    I’ve tried to edit the post to show the specific room in question on the layout but there doesn’t seem to be this option!
    ...See More
  • M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far!

@colourhappy - I know what you mean they are taking up a fair bit of wall space. At the moment I'm stuck with them but may replace in the future with the traditional cast iron style.

i think that's a good suggestion to move the sofa to look at the window. I just positioned it to look at the fire place as the focal point but perhaps the window is too?

@Chesme thanks! So many good suggestions there:

1.) yes that would be possible the hall is pretty large so there's space. What do you have in mind?

2.) I definetly want to change the table, it was just left by he previous owner and I agree it's too much wood. I'm not the biggest fan of built in seating but I think you're onto something with keeping it low profile and not block the view.

3) that's a great idea!

4,6) I do like the blue sofas! How would you suggest laying them out if I move the sofa? Put the chairs where the sofa currently is or have the chairs face the sofa directly? (Moving tv to other wall) I actually just refinished the floor so will have to keep it natural for now

5.) I agree they're on the list! If not the wood type then painted?

thanks!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Here are some inspirations

M M thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the inspiration celerygirl. Sofa and two chairs seem to work well! :)

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Hi. Looking at your previous post it seems the skirting boards and door needs a little attention although the window is fab. If you were to paint I'd personally paint all the wood. I can't find a pic ATM with the shutters (the red window will give you an idea) but I might consider painting it all in farrow and ball Hague blue which would really frame the view. You could then try hardwick white on the walls (1st pic). Paint the radiators the same colour so they blend in. I'd also choose the teal chairs. I might put the tv in the left alcove, have a chair angled towards the sofa in the right alcove and then pull the other chair back towards the wall. I love the stripe and burnt orange cushion from Oka which would work with the scheme. You don't have any ideabooks set up so it's hard to give shopping suggestions? Perhaps give a little more detail. Great room btw!

M M thanked minnie101
  • M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi,

thanks! I think you're right. The window is in good condition but the skirting board aren't in the best condition. My dilemma is once it's painted I can't easily go back to wood but the other rooms in the house will all look better with painted trim.

Blue would be interesting. Would that be the skirting boards too?

ill try setup some idea books. Pretty new to all of this :)

• minnie101
    6 years ago

It's a tricky one. I'm not normally that keen on stripped wood as victorians would have painted everything other than the most expensive of woods but your window looks really good. I'm just not convinced if you just painted the skirting that it would work as well. I'd paint the door and skirting to match all the wood. An ideabook would be great to get suggestions from people or even just an idea of styles and colour you like

M M thanked minnie101
  • M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks again!! The dark trim looks great!! Would you do the same in every room?

ive seen some good examples of leaving doors exposed wood (when it's original doors) that seems to work well so my thinking was it might work with the window but possibly not.

I'll setup an ideas book over the weekend.

• M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So I think this chair might be the winner. It's a similar colour to the one above, a little bit bigger and importantly more budget friendly! Two are more or less the same price as one of the blue velvet chairs.

I think two of those chairs with a nice side table in the middle would work well with the brown leather sofa?

I've been adding to an ideas book, I hope that's helpful.

In terms of the trim, here are some more photos of the woodwork in the lounge:

As you can see it's not in the best condition and does need refinished or painted I think. (The large scratch mark on the window panel was me spraying ordinary polish :( )

Although I do like the window panelling the wood work in the other rooms is plain and not very interesting so I would definitely want to paint those which means to keep things coherent I should paint the lounge too?

I like minnie101's suggestion of the dark trim, it looks really bold and eye catching!

I'm not sure it would work in every room so would it be ok to have the lounge the dark blue colour and the other rooms white for example?

I've also seen some examples of grey skirting which I think looks pretty good.

Thanks again!

• PRO
    Cheshme Deeme
    6 years ago
    Great ideas, I came across this rustic effect on wood which would like lovely
  • PRO
    Cheshme Deeme
    6 years ago
    I just love the dark blue on your feature wall. Very warm and posh. Good colour shade with your furniture. Good choice for your armchair!
  • M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's not my wall unfortunately! Just an image I found but it could be a nice colour to try :)

• M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Definetly!! That's an amazing colour! Do you think it's more of a feature wall colour? Or the full room? It might be a little dark for all the walls I'm thinking

• PRO
    Cheshme Deeme
    6 years ago
    Definitely not the whole room, I think it works on a feature wall. Otherwise as you said it will darken your room.
  • Jo Arnold
    6 years ago
    In your room I'd go for a feature wall. I'm using a similar but more navy shade for my bedroom on all walls but it's a north facing room and I'm embracing the cosy instead of trying to fight it.
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

If you went for Hague blue on the woodwork I'd probably do it throughout the flat. You could also use The Hague blue on the walls, doing it on all walls will not necessarily darken it. My east facing bathroom is painted in railings which is a darker shade and it's not dark at all. Dark walls are a great background for art, mirrors, books, plants etc. Another option which may work (after looking in your ideabook) is painting the room in farrow and ball French grey as it would work with the floor and sofa. It's more green than grey although would test it in different lights as it may look more grey in the afternoon. This is seen paired with I think (!) their mahogany on doors. This could be another option for woodwork and cornicing by keeping it all one colour. Are you set on the teal chairs? A Chesterfield sofa works with many styles so you're not too limited

M M thanked minnie101
  • M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the reply again! :)

I like the idea of all dark too actually I think it can look really good:

https://www.littlehouseonthecorner.com/3-practical-reasons-a-paint-your-walls-dark/

Im not dead set on the teal chairs, they seem like a solid option but I'm open to suggestions? Teal or blue might look a bit odd if I decide to change the colour of anything else later down the line

• Jo Arnold
    6 years ago
    It would look amazing all over your room if you're brave enough for it. You have such gorgeous features! I wonder how a mustard yellow would work against Hague blue?
  • Jo Arnold
    6 years ago
    Ooh. Nice.
  • Jo Arnold
    6 years ago
    Also looks amazing with leather.
  • PRO
    Angell Welding & Fabrications
    6 years ago

If you're planning on putting the dining table next to the bay window, I would suggest a curved low lying radiator to keep your guests warm from the window drafts.

I can't quite work out if it's completely curved or angled (the window area) but we recently made a bespoke angled column radiator for a victorian house which is very in keeping. (albeit very heavy!) and compliments the window area

Drop me an email if you would like more details!

info@angellwelding.co.uk

Thanks,

Elliot

• Emily
    6 years ago
    Love your room, view and sofa. And think The Hague blue and window radiator bench are great ideas. Also like the earlier point about facing sofa towards window. I personally would enjoy seeing the street scene both day and evening. Also if dining is behind it must be closer to kitchen? Less walking by people relaxing on sofa and also sitting at a table is higher and would still be able to enjoy view.
  • M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi,

Reviving a bit of an old post here with some more thoughts. I agree with everyone that the sofa is probably best looking onto the window but having given it a try it makes the TV pretty much not visible unfortunately.

I can't think of anywhere that I could place the TV that would give a good angle for the sofa in that position. (Other than pulling it out from the wall and angling it, which looked pretty poor when I tried it) Open to suggestions though. I may just have to move the sofa back a little to create slightly more room for chairs. I think if I put it right up against the wall the space will possibly be too big for conversation.

In the end I've actually grown to like the eames chair and chesterfield combo so will just add one more chair now. either on the same side as the current chair or two chairs facing each other at different sides of the sofa. :)

@Emily - The dinning table is further away from the kitchen in the window thats true. The alternative I think would be to shift everything up towards the bay window more and put the dinning table at the other end of the room. I think that might look a little odd since the fireplace is in the centre?

• Jo Arnold
    6 years ago
    Did you decide on a colour scheme? We're going to use the Hague blue colour in our library. So excited. Shelves are fitted and carpet in. It just needs painting now.
  • Ivana Ćurčić
    6 years ago
    A table in the bay window is very inviting! One solution for easier carrying is investing into a good cart (I grew up in Italy and we used it all the time.) The cart can be in a style that brings more balance to the room. BTW Eames chair is great, well done for keeping it!
  • M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Jo : Wow that's going to look great!! I'm so jealous that you have a library! Nice originally fireplace too! Re the colour scheme I'm going to use hague blue on the fireplace wall as a feature and do the other walls grey and paint the wood white but that's a job for next year.

@Ivana That's a pretty cool idea and would help with entertaining! I'll look into it. Thanks! Now I just need to find one more chair to complement it :)

• Jo Arnold
    6 years ago
    That sounds lovely. Make sure you post pics when it's done! (The fireplace isn't original - house is 30s rather than Victorian but I've always wanted a fireplace like that.)
  • M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! I will do! The fireplace looks great

• M M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi,

So I've given one of the main suggestions here a try! Moving the sofa to face the window:

I don't know how I feel about it yet.

It's made the room feel very open. I'm not sure fi that's a good or a bad thing for a lounge?

I like the view it gives of the window and I like that it shows off both the fireplace and the sofa itself better than having it square in front of the fireplace.

Although I'm not really overly keen on the way I have to put the TV unit. I'm thinking it might be better in the other corner (where the christmas tree is at the moment). If I do that I guess an L shape with the sofa and two chairs doesn't make sense? I should maybe have them face each other directly? That might be more formal than cosy. Too many decisions! :)

All thoughts welcome

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Personally I think the sofa feels a bit dwarfed by the fire in that position (although it needs to be pulled away from the fire more so would try that). Have you also tried the tv in the left alcove with the chair in the right and sofa opposite the fire? You could then add an upholstered footstool in front of the sofa for extra seating when required rather than another chair. If you went for a bench/banquette style dining seat in front of the window you could then add a couple of comfy chairs on the other side of the table for making the most of the view. I think the room also needs some height with art, mirrors, floor lamps, plants etc.

• Ivana Ćurčić
    6 years ago
    @Minnie101 the idea of benches is very good, visually and practically. They can be used as coffee tables as well. Places should have as many lounging spaces as there are people living but the other seating can be more compact. Guests, at least the ones I’ve observed, rarely go to sit in the deepest arm chair right away.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.