odele_davies

kitchen extension issues

Del27 York
6 years ago
I’m after some much needed advice on a first time extension.
We recently bought a house that needs a complete renovation. We are starting with the kitchen and are planning to knock the existing kitchen and diner together as well as extending out to the rear of the property. Our aim is to have a large, open family friendly space where we can entertain, relax and watch the kids playing in the garden. We would also like to incorporate a wc and a utility.
We are thinking that under the proposed lantern will be a relaxed seating area and to the right of the kitchen a dining area. The fireplace has to stay because we can’t afford the cost of removing it.
The proposed utility and wc and kitchen are drawn where these are currently situated but the utility is currently a walk in larder and an exit into a derelict lean to.
The photos below are our initial drawings but I am concerned that the kitchen seems to be the smallest area of the extension. Ideally we’d move the utility wall back 1/2 metre or so but I believe we need a steel support where the proposed wall is as this will support the first floor.
The architect was also keen to keep all utilities on the left wall as this is adjacent to a side access.
The utility will need to house a boiler, washing machine, tumble dryer and have enough storage for a vacuum, mop and ironing board-a basin isn’t needed as there is one in the wc.
Does anyone have any ideas for adapting the current layout in order to make the kitchen seem larger? Is there anyway of extending the kitchen further by using some of the proposed utility space but at the same time getting over the support issue?
I’d really appreciate any advice-I’m out of ideas!
Thank you in advance

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.